MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Like system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(2012-02-13, 10:46 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]I'd just like to mention that everyone has the right to have their own opinion. One thing's trying to show your point, another thing is trying to force other people to have it as well.

While some agree that a Like system should be included in 2.0, others do not. Personally I have nothing against and nothing in favor of it. It's something the team needs to take into account when planning that part of the system and will probably lead to internal discussion.

I agree with this, it's kind of silly to argue what is and isn't an essential forum feature as if it's fact rather than personal opinion. The most basic forum software doesn't include basic features like private messaging, polls, quoting, etc. but it still qualifies as forum software. So really if you're trying to claim X is an essential feature but Y isn't then you're just setting your own arbitrary standard of what features are needed, which isn't really a valid base for an argument as to why a feature shouldn't be included.

On a personal note, I'm really not a fan of bells and whistles features like a "likes" system, I'm far more interested in AJAX, minimal page loads, WYSIWYG, a modern UI, combined instant/private messaging (a la Facebook), Single Sign-on (via OpenID, Facebook Connect, etc.) and things like that, that improve the overall user experience rather than adding a specific new feature.

That said, I have no problem with bells and whistles being added, as long as there's an option in the AdminCP to disable them to prevent too much clutter being presented to the forum members. I don't think the modest bump in code bloat is a huge issue to deny new features, even if I won't personally use them. No offense to plugin developers, but I've never been a fan of using plugins/mods when I can help it as the reality is that updates often lag behind the core software, or they have their development dropped altogether; and despite being open-source it's generally the case that they don't get picked up again by others.
@Malphas, it almost seems ideal to have a modular system. But I don't see that in MyBB's future.
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but mybe you could make something like ipb and have a option in the acp, to choose either a like system or reputation system,or neither
I second the modular system idea. A tab in the ACP showing a page of checkboxes, allowing you to enable/disable the various optional core features seems like a great idea to me. That way you could hopefully satisfy a much broader range of users, from those who want a very simple, streamlined comment board, to those that want something very fully featured.

Obviously you can still draw the line somewhere, rather than turn into a full CMS, but it would simplify the debate over small additions like this and put it in the hands of what the developers feel OK with adding, rather than annoying a set of users that do/don't want the proposed feature whichever way you choose.
I would also have to agree with that idea. Considering I personally would want to disable profile comments, that would be a very simple / effective way to do it.
(2012-02-15, 11:17 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]I would also have to agree with that idea. Considering I personally would want to disable profile comments, that would be a very simple / effective way to do it.

There are no profile comments built in MyBB, you're maybe referring to the plugin.

I would just let you all know that if all your ideas are to be implemented in the 2.0 version, with a modular system with hundreds of features and a set of checkboxes to (de)activate them from the ACP, we won't have that before summer 2016 or later.

I would recommend you something like a CMS that has a like system, a portal, forums, image gallery, polls, profile comments and everything else. Smile
I was going to mention that TheGarfield when modules were brought up. I mean I love modular design but it can get out of hand (look at drupal).
(2012-02-15, 06:23 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]I would just let you all know that if all your ideas are to be implemented in the 2.0 version, with a modular system with hundreds of features and a set of checkboxes to (de)activate them from the ACP, we won't have that before summer 2016 or later.

Hundreds is a bit extreme, you could start with what's already there, decide on what you want as the barebones baseline, then put everything else into checkboxes. After that's it's a case of adding features as and when necessary, if the developers feel they're of benefit. But yeah, I guess this is more a long term idea than something that should be implemented in in the next version.

The idea of a modular system is to keep a broad set of features in core without creating unnecessary bloat for users with lesser requirements. Plugins would still have a place for more niche features, you wouldn't simply add add everything possible to core and end up with a ludicrous amount of checkboxes (as long as you're careful, I admit it's a possibility).

The difference however is that it would be more at the discretion of developers without upsetting groups of users with differing requirements, basically avoiding a debate like in this thread where one group of users want a feature without relying on a plugin and another group of users specifically don't want that feature on their boards - if you make it modular then neither party loses out.

I agree with the point about Drupal not being a very good example in favour of a modular system.
There really is little different between a module and a plugin though. I mean they both just add to the core. So in less the devs decide to make more official plugins I don't see it happening.
(2012-02-15, 07:20 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]There really is little different between a module and a plugin though. I mean they both just add to the core. So in less the devs decide to make more official plugins I don't see it happening.

No, I don't see it happening either really. But I disagree with there being little difference. On a technical level they're similar but a module implies a level of support and ease of use that doesn't exist for a plugin, unless you were to provide official plugins that were updated and tested with each release of the main software, and provided an automatic search/filter and installation utility within the ACP itself, rather than uploading files to the plugin directory.

I'm new to MyBB but from what I can tell it already does this to some extent anyway, it's just on an ad hoc basis rather than an organised system. You can already enable/disable some functions, like the reputation, private messaging, and warning functions can't you? It's just a more organised extension of that kind of ability, arranged on a single page within the ACP and applying to features universally, rather than just some and not others.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8