MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [F] Language and Charset Problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
It works fine for me. Can you post a link to an example?
Tikitiki Wrote:It works fine for me. Can you post a link to an example?
I've seen this effect on a non-english speaking (MyBB) forum, should I post a link to a (test) thread over there where the effect appears?
Yes.
I've finally found which part of a post causes the quick edit mode to fail in our forum, but it doesn't apply to your forum here.

In contrary to what I supposed and said, it's not HTML tags, but posts containing special characters like „these quotation marks“. For these posts the quick edit cuts the text beginning with the first sepcial character.

So quick edit the following:
Quote:Posts with special characters like „these quotation marks“ can't be quick edited.
results in this:
Quote:Posts with special characters like

What could cause it? In case you need to test it live I'll PN you the details for a test user account.

Additional notes:
The above "cutting" effect appears with Firefox on our forum. Browser's encoding's set to "universal".
When quick editing this article with the very same Firefox on your forum however, everything works.

However, when I use Internet Explorer (5.x) to quick edit the article on our forum, the browser changes all the special characters to "?" (without quotation marks) during edit mode, and when you save the post, they all stay a "?", but the post isn't but.
Works here... PM me details...
Sexiest Developer Wrote:Works here... PM me details...
Thanks for your testing! So the problem is what you PN'ed me (I hope I'm allowed to quote the technical part?) :
Quote:It's because your charset is set to iso-8859-1. I know there are problems with some characters with utf-8, but we're working on a fix for it. iso doesn't know how to handle those special characters and therefore can cause unexpected behave. I'm sorry, but theres nothing we can do to fix on our end other than change the charset to utf-8... atleast for now.

Now that you mentioned the utf-8 and iso-coding I remember there's a thread named Bug Reports / Language and Charset Problems which already mentioned what I observed: quick edit does cut the posts before the first special char when the forum uses ISO coding. User Michael83 had the effect with the Euro sign, and other users with other chars.

So I guess we could move/continue the last part of this thread over there...
Michael83 Wrote:
destroyer Wrote:The euro sign is also a problem.

€ outputs â on my (upgraded) board.
There's another problem: If you use quick edit to edit a post which contains the euro sign everything after the sign is missing after saving the post.

Yes, I can confirm this. It's related to the ISO-8851-X encoding of the forum and not only affects the Euro sign, but all "special" characters like for example „these quotation marks“.
Until I knew it was related to these special characters I even openend this new thread (which actually fits to this one).

So on forums with the ISO encoding, a try to quick edit the following:
Quote:Posts with special characters like „these quotation marks“ can't be quick edited.
results in this:
Quote:Posts with special characters like

On our forum the cutting "just" happens with lovely Firefox and similar browsers. The Internet Explorer (5.x) does change all the special characters to "?" (without quotation marks) when entering quick edit mode, and when you save the post, they all are lost to a "?", but the post isn't cut.

With this MyBB forum here (UTF-8 encoding) the quick edit of posts containing special characters work fine.

So my question is: what would be the main problems for non englisch speaking forums when they use UTF-8 instead of ISO-8851-X ? I've read a few problem reports here but would it be possible to sum them up for the newest MyBB version ?

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend!
Hi all, I have only little problem now with usernames charset, if someone use this charset "ح" it's retur like that �- as example this username محمد it's return like that م�-مد
u can see that here http://www.mybb4arab.uni.cc/-t-280-3.html#pid1389
so how to fix it??
thnx
look this!
[Image: 3yrvjt5.jpg]

when I post New Thread by types thai character and preview its,
position of char at 27th has occur error ()
How to solve this problem? (my board use ver1.2.3)
Please....
This bug has been fixed in the latest code.

Please note the latest code is not live on the site or for download. An update will be released which contains this fix.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11