MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Wiki
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Thanks @Seabody, I will wait for the next release.
I've pushed a new update to GitHub. This is still a WIP and the latest version (1.0.1) should continue to be used on a live forum.

This update introduces the rudiments of a template system. As it is still a WIP (and I wanted to update GitHub) you will undoubtedly notice random comments (such as lists of files), pointless code, and errors.
Major Update coming soon

I'm planning a major update to the wiki. Big Grin Here are a few of the new features I am planning:

Automatically generated Table of Contents
General Redesign
A more stable Category system (relying more on the cid of categories, not the title)
Default Article guiding you through use
Namespacing of the language strings (ie using the wiki_ prefix)
General Bug Fixes

This will probably bump the version number to 1.1 and will require a reinstall. Backwards compatibility will likely not be maintained.
Nice to hear news from you on MyWiki Smile

What about impriving the custom MyCode parser with [[Placeholder|Article Name]] instead of [[aid]]? I mean, the former is much user-friendly and doesn't require you to search for the article ID every time. This is the only thing holding me back from its installation so far.

If you're worried about wasting queries, you can use PluginLibrary's built-in cache handler which is much more powerful than the MyBB's core one and it doesn't fire any query at all (much as like as Jones' wiki already uses).
I'm a little reluctant about changing the MyCode syntax. If I required the article name, what about people who misspell the article title, or get a word wrong? Articles titled "Installing" would be easy, but "Troubleshoot your existing MyBBWiki install" wouldn't be -- "MyBBWiki" could be written as "MyBB Wiki" by mistake. I'll try to think of something more user-friendly though. I agree that [[aid]] is not the best syntax in the world, unless I have a "Share this Article" box on the page.

I'm also reluctant to use PL. I respect frostschutz's work, but the plugins existing are either outdated (Matthias', Stefan's) or require third party libraries, in which redistribution is frowned upon or forbidden (Jones'). I think this one is a quick and portable plugin. Wink I might take a look at how PL handles caches and build something off that though. Maybe write the data to disk in a special cache? I don't know.
The difference between MyBB's cache system and frostschutz' is only the order in which they user the cache handlers: both use memcache/apc etc if available. MyBB falls back to the database while frostschutz uses a file cache. It's easy to write your own methods for this. I wouldn't require PL only for caching.
I'm not able to update at the moment (very near my data cap), but you should expect to see a large update coming soon.
So upgrade wouldn't not be possible by default? My articles from early versions (1.x) will be deleted if I decide to install the latest one (1.1.x)?
I will try. There has been a couple of schema changes (mostly related to categories) but it should be fairly easy.

Edit: If you're talking about the post I made a few posts up, at the time I foresaw quite a few more DB schema changes, which I have luckily been able to avoid. Things like switching from/to TEXT and VARCHAR will come later when I actually know a little more about them so I can make an informed choice.
As my profile states, I've moved on to other projects. The source is attached to the OP as I'm deleting the GitHub repo.

Thanks. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9