MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Site Seems dead
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
I am using help docs for things like rules too – was just wondering if there was something more specific you wanted to see Smile
(2013-09-10, 05:43 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I'm still completely perplexed at all the work done on the Calendar that no one uses and it's useless for forums.

Totally depends on the forum and it's niche whether or not the calendar is useless.
(2013-09-10, 07:14 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-10, 05:43 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I'm still completely perplexed at all the work done on the Calendar that no one uses and it's useless for forums.

Totally depends on the forum and it's niche whether or not the calendar is useless.

I would say the calendar is pretty useless as it stands. Even a site that hosts IRL events often like http://worldbeyblade.org doesn't use it because it's missing replies, RSVP, etc. It either needs to be expanded or abandoned. In its current incarnation it doesn't have enough functionality.
Calendar is not a core aspect of a forum, so should not be a core feature - as per the development ethos widely adopted by the MyBB team since as long as I remember. Though it has been around for ages with no changes made whatsoever.
Calendar don´t have by default a better integration with the forum. You need mods or core modifications and without plugin I´m not survive.

Renaming Calendar to Events is best choice and of course turn calendar and events submissions into a post or a index info like some plugins done with calendar.

There's A lot of plugins that broke the "moderation.php". Maybe doc problem?

Remember: Chaos (deconstruction) is the only way to be better

Sry for my english again.
(2013-09-10, 09:06 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-10, 07:14 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]

I would say the calendar is pretty useless as it stands. Even a site that hosts IRL events often like http://worldbeyblade.org doesn't use it because it's missing replies, RSVP, etc. It either needs to be expanded or abandoned. In its current incarnation it doesn't have enough functionality.

That is different than saying a calendar is useless for forums. Being useless as it stands is not the same as being useless and an idea/concept.

Its not perfect, but for my old site I used it to share meetings of importance to the niche, local events and such. Did not need replies since I would make a thread as needed. The calendar was a wimple way to check for up coming events in one place, versus trying to find the details on the forum.
That's great, but how many forums actively use the built-in calendar? A calendar is best suited to be a plugin, since it's so niche.
All the guys who moan about the calendar and that the mybb team is working too slow. What did you do to help mybb?
(2013-09-11, 01:19 AM)Niggidea Wrote: [ -> ]All the guys who moan about the calendar and that the mybb team is working too slow. What did you do to help mybb?

Please read the previous posts in this thread for more information on this.

That said, I suspect the MyBB team develops the software with the hopes that people will use it and enjoy using it. If something is impeding that, it's worth expressing it.

Anyway, talking about the calendar is getting off-track. It doesn't seem there is more work being put into it and it's easy to remove.
Read all that, yet learned nothing. Sad

Well except that due to an argument from over a year ago I'm doomed to never be a part of MyBB staff, haha.

I'd like to say I look forward to the changes that seem to be coming after this thread, but I won't get my hopes up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23