MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Site Seems dead
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
(2013-09-04, 10:57 AM)envira Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB needs to keep some work shops giving the users some competitive environment which helps not only for the individual but for community , which means we literally breed our own coders.

You mean create tutorials and videos on how to create plugins and themes? There is a bunch of tutorials on YouTube. Some may not be the best quality, but until we decide to create our own (if we ever do) those will have to do. Then there's the tutorials forum. We could create a mybb.com/learn page or something, where we would list all of these things. What exactly did you have in mind?

(2013-09-04, 10:57 AM)envira Wrote: [ -> ]We should meet up on IRC channel or some where where we all could have a quick opinion on what it is going to be next week or month.

Go for it. There are many users online all the time, we don't talk much though. For those who find IRC really old and lame: it's not so bad.

(2013-09-04, 10:57 AM)envira Wrote: [ -> ]All other local language based support sites should be brought under one tree , and have mutual developmental talks, opinions etc.This i want to stress coz there are many talented developers in Spanish MyBB community, Poland community and Turkey community. They rarely visit this community and showcase their talent.They really need to help us in this current situation.

Very interesting as well. We are planning on moving translations to a central GitHub organization. There will be a repository for each language, where all translators can collaborate and contribute to. Translators would then tag releases and we could grab the zipfile and update the translations page or something.

I think we could do more though. As a non-native speaker myself, I've always envisioned the international communities working together (instead of competing). For some languages there is more than one community. Ideally I think we should just create our own, official international network, and hopefully the already established communities will "switch". This could potentially kill these communities, but wouldn't it be nice to have es.mybb.com for all Spanish things? Same thing for other languages: de.mybb.com, pt.mybb.com, fr.mybb.com and so on. I'm not sure if this is doable. Do you have any other ideas in mind?
mybb.com/learn could include higher quality tutorials or just redirect to the tutorials forum.

IRC has some moments of activity. It's not all bad as Fábio said.

I like the idea of a translations organisation myself. Everyone contributing to a language could become a scram if there are lots. Perhaps the commit, pull, merge process that's happening in the main repositories would work.
(2013-09-04, 12:58 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-04, 08:01 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I'd like to believe that as soon as we stop getting told 1.8 is "around the corner" development will pick up. I'm scared to design anything because I keep getting told its only a couple weeks from being ready.

And where did you see that? Development isn't private. You can see exactly what's happening on Github.

Quote:But still, it will be nothing but 1.6 with some new knick knacks and a slightly changed version of one of the most abused MyBB themes available (why? who knows)

And clearly you haven't been following the development.

We were told that MyBB would be released in the summer of 2012.

Passing the buck to the users is not the solution here. It is no wonder the community is dead if this is what passes for community representation ...

No, you were told that a beta release could be available by June 2012. We had so much feedback from the community that certain features were delayed while others were developed. MyBB 1.8 is far greater than MyBB 1.6 in many ways and the extra time to wait is certainly worth it.

The community isn't dead. It hasn't changed much at all.
(2013-09-04, 07:56 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]The community isn't dead. It hasn't changed much at all.

A community that never changes would certainly qualify as "dead."

And it's easy to see that activity here is lower than before, and there are less theme releases, less plugin releases, and less new projects being posted.

Quote:MyBB 1.8 is far greater than MyBB 1.6 in many ways and the extra time to wait is certainly worth it.

MyBB 1.8 has a lot of features that people have wanted for years. With its current feature list, MyBB 1.8 is already outdated and it hasn't even come out yet.
(2013-09-04, 08:27 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-04, 07:56 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]The community isn't dead. It hasn't changed much at all.

A community that never changes would certainly qualify as "dead."

And it's easy to see that activity here is lower than before, and there are less theme releases, less plugin releases, and less new projects being posted.

Quote:MyBB 1.8 is far greater than MyBB 1.6 in many ways and the extra time to wait is certainly worth it.

MyBB 1.8 has a lot of features that people have wanted for years. With its current feature list, MyBB 1.8 is already outdated and it hasn't even come out yet.

Well technically its not dead, but its certainly heading more so in that direction as opposed to becoming more popular.

It really concerns me when staff themselves cannot see that the community is in trouble, if they cant see it then what hope is there ? I'm a little uneasy with that to be honest.
6 pages of discussion in one day doesn't seem very dead to me.
(2013-09-04, 08:57 PM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]6 pages of discussion in one day doesn't seem very dead to me.

For a forum that has 66k members, 6 pages is pittens.
(2013-09-04, 08:57 PM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]6 pages of discussion in one day doesn't seem very dead to me.

This conversation is being carried on by very few members and it's about how the community is not compelling. That is not a good thing.
Well that may be the case, but it's evident there are still a lot of people who care about MyBB and its future.

But despite people's willingness to help, unless MyBB helps itself first there isn't much we can do.

I have 3 (semi-decent) free themes I would like to share with the community, but at 500kb max upload file size for the themes/mods section that isn't happening any time soon, I have already made a seperate thread for that.

I plan on releasing some more premium themes as well, people piratng them doesn't bother me, it makes me feel less guilty about illegally downloading movies, and in a way it's almost complimenting knowing that people like your work so much they rip it. Besides, if someone is willing to use or pirate a theme, they are unlikely to be willing to pay regardless. It's not like if they can't get your theme illegally they will resort to buying it, but more likely they will just find another theme to download.

Maybe what we need here is a revolution.

We are just less than 10 members in this discussion and we have 66k members, so you can find the ratio.

(2013-09-04, 08:27 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 1.8 has a lot of features that people have wanted for years. With its current feature list, MyBB 1.8 is already outdated and it hasn't even come out yet.

^ This is very true.
Web is changing its direction very fast , new trends emerging .
For a forum , it is something different from a blog coz , it has to have activity, continual activity, to say.To achieve it needs to compete with many website types like Social networks primarily, CMS- these days CMS with forum are being opted, rather than having a dual login forum.

Also i want to point out i have never seen in these 3 years time a bridge to any other software like wordpress or joomla or drupal which pushes us to ancient mythology.
No new gallery feature is included, and i can still see pavemen's tutorial for "Before Christ" Coppermine.
This is not development to be fact, and i am not pointing towards anyone.

Thanks to few plugin authors who really made amazing job with integrating login system with social networks.
If they were not there our forum software tastes just like bland burger.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23