MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Site Seems dead
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
(2013-09-03, 02:25 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]There is very little any of us can do. MyBB.com can ban the skids, but there will always be sites dedicated to selling and giving out nulled themes, just like there is a black market for cocaine, or assault rifles. So long as there is demand there will always be supply.

I agree to a certain point, there may be a black market for cocaine and the likes, but the police still fight against it regardless if its a losing battle or not. Just because you cant win the battle doesn't mean you stop fighting. MyBB need to be actively seen to be at-least trying to protect its developers. Comments from Nathan clearly show they have no interest in doing that. Which is one of the reasons I assume developers are rapidly losing interest in creating new content.

(2013-09-03, 02:36 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]It's not up to MyBB to take legal action against theme rippers and plugin pirates, no. But it is MyBB's job to nurture third party developers and sites using the software, and in that aspect they have failed pretty badly. When I was interviewed for the MyBB blog three months ago, I took this as a sign that they were finally getting serious about nurturing their community and their users.

That blog post three months ago is still the most recent one.

Plugin and theme discovery is still the same way it was like six years ago here, which is unfathomable. It's almost impossible to surface top-tier plugins, and there's no good way for devs to sell their paid plugins here. Contrary to what many here think, I feel confident in saying that high quality extensions, be they free or paid, add tremendous value to MyBB.

I feel bad to complain, because MyBB is a free project, and I've been able to use it to do some pretty cool stuff. But I'm also very invested in it, and have been using it for the better part of a decade; it's painful for me to see it floundering. There doesn't seem to be any real vision for how this product should evolve, nor is there a clear path to how non-developers like myself can help the MyBB team.

My prediction is that 1.8 will be released to little fanfare or uptake. 2.0 will never see the light of day. And if it somehow miraculously does, it won't really matter.

Thats a fairly accurate assessment brad.
(2013-09-03, 03:38 PM)MYSQLi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-03, 02:25 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]There is very little any of us can do. MyBB.com can ban the skids, but there will always be sites dedicated to selling and giving out nulled themes, just like there is a black market for cocaine, or assault rifles. So long as there is demand there will always be supply.

I agree to a certain point, there may be a black market for cocaine and the likes, but the police still fight against it regardless if its a losing battle or not. Just because you cant win the battle doesn't mean you stop fighting. MyBB need to be actively seen to be at-least trying to protect its developers. Comments from Nathan clearly show they have no interest in doing that. Which is one of the reasons I assume developers are rapidly losing interest in creating new content.

Since when is MyBB the police? MyBB has no right to make any copyright claims on something they do not own. It is the responsibility of the developer. If somebody steals the radio out of your car are you going to call Ford and complain that somebody stole your radio? Doubt it.
(2013-09-03, 04:34 PM)Stefan C. Wrote: [ -> ]Since when is MyBB the police? MyBB has no right to make any copyright claims on something they do not own. It is the responsibility of the developer. If somebody steals the radio out of your car are you going to call Ford and complain that somebody stole your radio? Doubt it.

Well said Stefan. Its strange that people wish MyBB to do something rather than attempting it themselves. Audentio and Pirata are in the MyBB team and their plugins and themes are being distributed illegally. If there is anything they can do about it as a MyBB team member, they would have done it long ago, won't they?

I do agree with brad on some points though. MyBB can do things like plugin of the month, theme of the month, etc; and also conduct interviews like they did with brad, so that members feel more bound to the project.
Unfortunately, there are very few plugins, themes, or sites to talk about at this point. That ship has sailed. The opportunity is lost, pretty much, unless some miraculous stuff starts coming out after 1.8 is shipped.
(2013-09-03, 02:36 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]It's not up to MyBB to take legal action against theme rippers and plugin pirates, no. But it is MyBB's job to nurture third party developers and sites using the software, and in that aspect they have failed pretty badly. When I was interviewed for the MyBB blog three months ago, I took this as a sign that they were finally getting serious about nurturing their community and their users.

That blog post three months ago is still the most recent one.

Plugin and theme discovery is still the same way it was like six years ago here, which is unfathomable. It's almost impossible to surface top-tier plugins, and there's no good way for devs to sell their paid plugins here. Contrary to what many here think, I feel confident in saying that high quality extensions, be they free or paid, add tremendous value to MyBB.

I feel bad to complain, because MyBB is a free project, and I've been able to use it to do some pretty cool stuff. But I'm also very invested in it, and have been using it for the better part of a decade; it's painful for me to see it floundering. There doesn't seem to be any real vision for how this product should evolve, nor is there a clear path to how non-developers like myself can help the MyBB team.

My prediction is that 1.8 will be released to little fanfare or uptake. 2.0 will never see the light of day. And if it somehow miraculously does, it won't really matter.

(2013-09-03, 06:26 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, there are very few plugins, themes, or sites to talk about at this point. That ship has sailed. The opportunity is lost, pretty much, unless some miraculous stuff starts coming out after 1.8 is shipped.

^ Agree totally with this.Brad gave us some good valid points, which are the real cause of the disaster.
I have heard of 2.0, very long ago and it is still in words.
Lack of active projects, make developers lose interest.
I have seen many plugin developers flew away from here to other software.
One more point i want to stress is the huge inter person negativity, which can be well exampled at out showcase and development section.
Lack of a market place is a huge negative point for the community.
Well i can say that Pirata , the best plugin author for MyBB has not released a new plugin since a long time be it paid or free.
Audentio, the best designer studio for MyBB , i barely find any themes they have released in the recent past.
Labrocca is selling his site, the best plugins i can say to be frank.
Jordal Lovelle who gave some brilliant stuff, was gone long ago.
If this is the condition , every other who makes themes and plugins , will have to hold a badge called "Former Contributor".

I made lot of posts in Private inquiries that my stuff was being ripped. I didnt get any sort of help.
DMCA is orange. I didnt have any options left out as laws are not applicable to those nulling/ripping sites. I had no option but to get a deal with a hacker and bring it down,, which i have made it.
In return i made him a free custom theme. This sounds easy , but it is painful when you see a new theme of yours being ripped.
I am not blaming any of the community team or us for these happenings. What is over is already over , start afresh and let there be a guild of some active contributors for MyBB and they need special recognition.

And another point i want to stress is SEO of MyBB is one big negative point.
We still depend on a plugin for the SEO thing.
I dont think MyBB has it installed.
When you type any keyword say " Premium MyBB Themes " , it directly points out to those sites , and thus many newbie's are not visiting the community.
This seems simple and stupid, but it practically adds to 1-2% of members lost by the community.

Thank you,
(2013-09-03, 05:17 PM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-03, 04:34 PM)Stefan C. Wrote: [ -> ]Since when is MyBB the police? MyBB has no right to make any copyright claims on something they do not own. It is the responsibility of the developer. If somebody steals the radio out of your car are you going to call Ford and complain that somebody stole your radio? Doubt it.

Well said Stefan. Its strange that people wish MyBB to do something rather than attempting it themselves. Audentio and Pirata are in the MyBB team and their plugins and themes are being distributed illegally. If there is anything they can do about it as a MyBB team member, they would have done it long ago, won't they?

I do agree with brad on some points though. MyBB can do things like plugin of the month, theme of the month, etc; and also conduct interviews like they did with brad, so that members feel more bound to the project.

Obviously the analogy is used to reference a comment made by Tom K went smack bang over your head. I never implied that MyBB was the "Police". Read the bloody thing before you reply next time, jesus !!
There is nothing MyBB can do about people stealing themes or plugins. This isn't their problem. I think talking about that distracts from issues which MyBB could actually have an impact on. They can't enforce copyright for things they don't own.
(2013-09-03, 07:58 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]There is nothing MyBB can do about people stealing themes or plugins. This isn't their problem. I think talking about that distracts from issues which MyBB could actually have an impact on. They can't enforce copyright for things they don't own.
This. End of story.
(2013-09-03, 01:57 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Not a surprise. MyBB 1.8 is well over a year behind the expected release date and there aren't any interesting new projects using MyBB right now. What are we to talk about?
Yeah and I think the new showcase situation has killed the activity more even though I do like it a little better the way it is now. Maybe if their was a showcase and a beginners critique area.

(2013-09-03, 05:36 AM)envira Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah i feel the same,
Every day i visit, but there are no topics made at least , no plugins were being released , not even free themes or premium themes.
As Brad Pointed out , yeah there are not much interesting projects going on MyBB, and no one know when 1.8 comes out.
One thing is due to rippers who are releasing nulled themes and plugins have their community activity soaring.
This is one reason why the theme developers, were not releasing any themes as they are eventually made available by these sites.
At least now we should consider sweeping such sites, that make illegal business out of MyBB.

And a few suggestions to elevate activity are , to make some social competitions where users could participate just for an example, say " Theme of the Month " or "Plugin of the Month" , thing.
This would encourage many users to make wonderful resources for this wonderful piece of software.
Thank you
Forum of the month would be interesting as well.
Are there enough forums to feature? Who's out there right now doing cool stuff?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23