MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Site Seems dead
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
(2013-09-03, 11:13 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Are there enough forums to feature? Who's out there right now doing cool stuff?

I don't really know of many decent sized Mybb forums anymore much less any one doing something considered cool like your fashion site. I guess you would be winning it every month lol.

[Image: employee+of+the+month.jpg]

Idea of what it would look like.
To be honest I would honestly say most people that use the MyBB software set up a gaming, technology(Hacking mostly) or a general forum due to HF and FK. There were more forums with unique niches but they either got shut down or moved to another software. I hardly get to see a unique niche nowadays. And even if there is one, it gets taken over by so-called L33T skids. I've seen a site or two such as cricketzone who is unique and doing really good. I just wish the founder can keep up with the site.
MyBB has nothing interesting going on right now. Aside from the plugin feature, the forum software itself is very dated in comparison to the paid alternatives, which aren't necessarily that expensive to maintain. 1.8 was supposed to come out this year, I believe, but its progress is trickling along. Even then, the features of 1.8 aren't all that exciting to non-developers.

This isn't a bash on MyBB or its developers, as I love it and it will always be my favorite forum software, but that's just the fact of it. While other forums are adding new features that are considered the standards of today, MyBB is a bit further behind and only gets further by the day.
I think this thread (and all of those like it on any forum ever) are pointless. Why make a thread to say 'no one is making threads' when, with the same effort, you can make a thread about something that is actually trending?

MyBB is a great forum software and I, for one will never say 'Hurry up with x.x version!' when I have never made a single commit to the MyBB repo or even reported a bug.

We all make our contributions in our own ways and if you are not able to contribute to MyBB's development specifically, then rather than complaining about what is wrong with the software/brand remember it is open source so there is a lot of possibilities for you to do something about it.
While I do agree that all of us should make some effort of improving MyBB or any software before complaining, I don't think it's such a bad thing to express concern. In a way, creating a topic like this is contributing. As long as it doesn't turn into a hate topic, good can come of it.

An objective opinion can be pretty valuable.
I think I've contributed a decent amount to this community. I've done things I could do, but when the software is not really moving ... it's hard to maintain interest.

MyBB has been very useful to me, but it would be hard to justify using MyBB to start a new project today.
(2013-09-04, 01:07 AM)Tecca Wrote: [ -> ]In a way, creating a topic like this is contributing.

I wasn't throwing stones at you (you actually ninja'd me so your post wasn't there when I submitted) or OP, but while this thread has stirred up a decent discussion, that is rarely the case for such threads.

That's all I was saying.
I totally agree. I figured you weren't speaking to me or the other valuable contributors in the topic. Let's just hope that the topic doesn't head in that direction, which it almost always does.
(2013-09-04, 12:46 AM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]I think this thread (and all of those like it on any forum ever) are pointless. Why make a thread to say 'no one is making threads' when, with the same effort, you can make a thread about something that is actually trending?

MyBB is a great forum software and I, for one will never say 'Hurry up with x.x version!' when I have never made a single commit to the MyBB repo or even reported a bug.

We all make our contributions in our own ways and if you are not able to contribute to MyBB's development specifically, then rather than complaining about what is wrong with the software/brand remember it is open source so there is a lot of possibilities for you to do something about it.
You guys probably know but I'm not really a main guy on this site, I usually come in and post here and there when its like something opinion based. This site has been having plenty of posts and threads to be honest I was more implying it seemed like the main core of the community was not communicating much like you guys are now in this thread. I would say im alright with the way mybb is developing. I agree with what you said, if you want something done you can do it yourself.
[Image: i7iV78r.png]

Here is an image of stats from Alexa.
The graph says it all.
The site activity is declining definitely.
Advent of social networks also added to the downfall.
MyBB needs to improve some core features like SEO, User interface and Ux definitely.
MyBB community definitely needs a redesign.
Also apart theme for 1.8 doesnt add much to already declining state as it is pretty much like age old school theme.
MyBB needs to follow latest trends in design go minimal,responsive, flat etc and ask user opinions, conduct polls , surveys etc.
I definitely recommend to follow Vanilla Forums in this regard as they have constantly evolved from what they are since the past 2 years.
Oxwall is another great going software.
We need to learn things from them.
Or else our community as well the sites built on Mybb would face some real hard time.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23