MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is 'soft delete' feature really needed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hi!

It looks like in MyBB 1.8 we will have an option to 'soft delete' posts/threads, which functionality is similar to hide posts/threads. I would say it's the same.
We can hide content from users without deleting it permanently.

Do we need another feature like that? I think new version should be kept simple. Smile

Discuss!
That's exactly how we handle it here and what we said multiple times - but we got many requests to implement it and so we'll do it.
This way it really doesn't make that much sense, if it was like XenForo, where you delete a thread (no "soft delete", just delete) but are able to restore it, makes more sense to me because one could delete threads by accident.
It's a security feature.
This is how you can use it, too...
I agree - I was against it and I still don't see a point in this feature and in my opinion other community concern should have been touched instead of this. Why?
1. Unapprove/approve as you said.
2. You can make Archive base or something like that and move old threads there.
3. There is Undo Delete plugin and it works very well.

But now it's too late to discuss it again because they have been implementing it already.
(2014-01-26, 09:55 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]This is how you can use it, too...

My point: there is delete AND soft delete, what i'm saying there should be only soft delete for security reasons. Of course this can be achived with a simple template edit.
there are many times I have had users or staff delete good topics and posts and since users can not unapprove their own stuff, then soft delete is needed.
It will be nice to have such a feature.

Say you got a big community. Some of your mod Deletes (Soft-Delete) some thread due to some reason, BUT the admin (if he had seen it) might have not deleted it, so in this way, He can Restore the thread.

If my above statements are correct, then you DEV's must also implement the feature to send a PM to the mod who deleted the thread (when restored by Admin).
We absolutely need this feature. Sure, the mods can be taught to move a thread to a locked trash forum, but users often delete their threads in an effort to cover their tracks. I'd like these threads to get soft-deleted so that moderators can still check it over.
For me, it'd be nice. I've accidentally deleted threads, sure I could restore them from a previous backup, but that's a pain. I'm sure there'll be an option to disable the feature from the ACP.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6