MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thread Ratings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(2018-11-06, 12:16 PM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-06, 12:08 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]I am surprised the reputation system has not been nominated for removal yet - maybe that's still coming.

Reputation system should be there, but not dependent solely to user ratings, but milestone driven. The reputation should be added to profile automatically based on user's activities, IMO. For example:

1. 15 accepted answers in support...
2. Spent over a year with the forum
3. Made 1000 quality posts.
4. Most complete profile.
5. Warning-less 3 years

Those are just examples and can be fine tuned with a little more brain storming, even admins can define their own milestones from ACP with how many points to add to profile as reputation...

Hope I made my point understandable.

Sounds like how the trophies work in XenForo.
(2018-11-06, 05:56 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I believe the overall usage of the rating system is so low that it would be meaningless to keep it longer. As long as data is not just lost anyone should be able to create a plugin for it.

Yeah, I would think we would leave any existing thread ratings in place in the database but nothing would be shown on the front end.
(2018-11-07, 12:23 AM)Justin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-06, 05:56 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I believe the overall usage of the rating system is so low that it would be meaningless to keep it longer. As long as data is not just lost anyone should be able to create a plugin for it.

Yeah, I would think we would leave any existing thread ratings in place in the database but nothing would be shown on the front end.

I am quite disappointed at this. Just sounds like a shortcut to remove the ratings and replace it with nothing. Why remove it when there is an option to turn it off?
(2018-11-06, 11:46 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like how the trophies work in XenForo.

Not sure about xenforo but I came across some UNDERGROUND site few years ago and really liked their achievements / reputation system (Don't wanna mention the name, but you can easily identify if you want).

[Image: kat-achieve.png]

and it used to feel really awesome when you surf the site and a milestone hit pops up right in your screen:

[Image: Ejzm3rl-YA9.png]
Once there is an in-thread rating system, the overall rating can go away. Maybe we can display the net value of ratings in a thread as an optional feature.
(2018-11-07, 11:14 AM)meetdilip Wrote: [ -> ]Once there is an in-thread rating system, the overall rating can go away. Maybe we can display the net value of ratings in a thread as an optional feature.

Not sure what you mean by this because there is already an on/off switch in ACP, and the webmaster can further manipulate how he wants ratings to display by editing templates.

Invision Community is one forum software that still employs ratings. I don't know what informs this decision but i can guess.

And once it's removed it will become another abandoned feature, one more reason to drop MyBB for something else.
Any serious forums does not use the system. Most users on any platform mostly missuses it anyway. Like not rating the thread quality but simply rating your bias towards the poster.

Are there really people that look at a one star thread and think, "I am not going to read that because of the one star"?
I believe that the overall thread rating system has no real working purpose.
We all first chose MyBB for the features it has,
now everyone is trying to have a part that "they don't use"  taken out.

Maybe MyBB should also remove:
.Quick reply
.Quotes
.Profiles
.Pagination
.PM
.Sub Forums
.Categories
.Search
.Members List
.Report
.Register Button
  Undecided
(2018-11-07, 05:45 PM)v_2 Wrote: [ -> ]We all first chose MyBB for the features it has,
now everyone is trying to have a part that "they don't use"  taken out.

This is my point also, it is a big mistake to hack away at the features like this. Even posticons, which granted may not be used that often, is something that makes MyBB a little unique. I would keep it for that reason alone, unless valid reason(s) are presented for removing them, of which i have seen none.
Valid reasons are continuing to maintain the function across planned ACP and theme rewrite. We are aiming to ship a lightweight product with features which are popular and necessary to our user base. not keep features which the large majority of people don’t use and maintaining support for for no reason. Anyway, we have made a poll to gather the user base opinion and your opinions have been reflected in the poll.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7