MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thread Ratings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(2018-11-08, 08:07 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-08, 07:42 PM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-08, 07:39 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]I would rather wait longer for a 1.9 with ratings than a rushed 1.9 that removes ratings.

I strongly disagree. 1.9 addresses much more important issues.

Same here. People forget that some of the staff run forums too...

How's this relevant to whether ratings are useful or not.
Maybe people / admins aren't using that feature because it is "suboptimal". One star meaning "bad" (or is it"just 20% good" ?) is counterintuitive. A good rating system would allow downvotes. It's not rating per se that's useless or bad, it's how the feature is working.
(2018-11-08, 08:22 PM)linguist Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe people / admins aren't using that feature because it is "suboptimal". One star meaning "bad" (or is it"just 20% good" ?) is counterintuitive. A good rating system would allow downvotes. It's not rating per se that's useless or bad, it's how the feature is working.

Yep, that's absolutely why I think most people don't use thread ratings. What is a 1-star thread? A 3-star thread? Are you rating the first post, the last post, all of the posts? Are you not going to read a thread because it only has 2 stars? But how many people gave it that many stars?

It doesn't provide any useful information in its current implementation, so removing it isn't a significant loss. That isn't to say a different thread rating system could be useful -- just that the current one is not and may as well be removed, even without an immediate replacement.

(2018-11-08, 08:11 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]How's this relevant to whether ratings are useful or not.

I think his point was that our opinions are based in experience with our own forums, not just in development of MyBB. I disabled thread ratings on my forum a long time ago and have never had anyone complain they were missing.
(2018-11-08, 08:31 PM)Justin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-08, 08:11 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]How's this relevant to whether ratings are useful or not.

I think his point was that our opinions are based in experience with our own forums, not just in development of MyBB.

Ah, ok.   Big Grin  Thanks for clarifying.
I'm kind of in favor of dropping thread ratings myself. On my board barely anyone uses ratings (got only around 150 in 10+ years) and both of my site's moderators have asked why we don't remove them (along with some other useless things like Archive Mode and Threaded Mode).

Even here, I can't remember the last time I've ever rated a thread.
(2018-11-09, 01:12 AM)Starpaul20 Wrote: [ -> ]some other useless things like Archive Mode

I don't believe Archive Mode is useless. It's very handy for SEO, and search engines, because there's no useless crap like User Avatars to take up loading time.
(2018-11-08, 05:31 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]Nobody is going to write a plugin.

You are assuming nobody cares enough to write a plugin for it.

And the project runners shouldn't tear off the resources they have to keep wasteful features nobody cares enough about as to even write a plugin for.

(2018-11-08, 07:06 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]If resources are a problem my suggestion is to leave ratings as is.

The system won't stay the same. Updating other areas of the script requires to, some extend, update this feature as well.

There are no resources to do so. Therefore, it should leave.

(2018-11-08, 07:39 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]I would rather wait longer for a 1.9 with ratings than a rushed 1.9 that removes ratings.

You will rather. The (active) majority seems to rather not.

(2018-11-08, 07:42 PM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]I think the problem here is that people don’t want the system removed if nothing’s going to replace it anytime soon, whether that’s a plugin or improved system.

Data shouldn't be removed. So if enough interest is shown, then sure, why not, bring it back to life.

As a side suggestion, I think referendums like this should be should be informed via the subscription system (if still working).
Drop it and replace by ,+-1 system aka reddit
(2018-11-10, 07:04 PM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]Drop it and replace by ,+-1 system aka reddit

That would be my preference for 1.10. +/-1 rating for each post, not just by thread. The rating for the first post could be shown in the forum display list of threads.
(2018-11-11, 04:22 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-10, 07:04 PM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]Drop it and replace by ,+-1 system aka reddit

That would be my preference for 1.10. +/-1 rating for each post, not just by thread. The rating for the first post could be shown in the forum display list of threads.

Now, this rating thing that is being suggested... is that tied to the Reputation feature or will that be a totally separate feature? 

Like a Thread/Post Rating or whatever name it will be called?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7