MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thread Ratings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The thing is that we aren't going to implement anything like post likes, trophies or reactions in 1.9, as doing so would delay the release of 1.9 even further and we're already running slowly enough as is.

The point of threads like these is to gauge community usage of features to see whether they're useful or whether they can be improved upon. Obviously a large community outpouring of support for a feature all but guarantees it will continue to be maintained.

If there's a feature (like thread ratings in this case) which is next to useless and almost sure to be replaced in the future is there really any point doing the work to introduce new Twig templates and styling for it rather than simply hiding it from view until a future update replaces it with a newer, better feature?
I think i have given my opinion on why it should not be removed - especially with the on/off option there for webmasters. I for one can see the usefulness of a rating system especially when building custom forums with for eg. xThreads.

I will just add that we all know that the forum is not as active as it used to be, so I hope that this poll results is not used to validate a decision to remove the thread ratings. Remove the system and am i sure there will be questions to field from users when they discover the system is no longer there.

That's my thoughts on the matter, and my last post in this thread.
(2018-11-07, 01:00 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]I am quite disappointed at this. Just sounds like a shortcut to remove the ratings and replace it with nothing. Why remove it when there is an option to turn it off?

Because you might not want to waste (human) resources on keeping alive a feature that only a few really use. A turn off feature is proof there is people who doesn't really care about it.

A plugin like this is not hard in 1.8 and shouldn't be harder in 2.0 at all. See around the extend site and count the amount of available "like/rating" kind of systems if you are worried about that.
What I am worried about is that the uptake of MyBB will be even less after the features have been hacked away. A forum like this is quite boring already. But how can a webmaster not care about the content on his pages? It is more reasonable to assume that the rating system is not an issue, or the webmaster would turn it off.

Nobody is going to write a plugin. Show us the plugin if it's that easy to write, then propose removing the rating system. If the rating system is causing some issue with the new theme then at least admit that that is the reason for wanting to remove it, instead of trying to convince us that the system is useless. How can it be useless all of a sudden.
(2018-11-07, 10:54 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ][...]
That's my thoughts on the matter, and my last post in this thread.

Last post, huh?

(2018-11-08, 05:31 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]How can it be useless all of a sudden.

It didn't become useless all of a sudden. It just hasn't ever been very useful.

You say no one will write the plugin, well, that just proves that no one cares about thread ratings. When people care about things, there is a demand for them. The only demands you are concerned with are your own, imo.
(2018-11-08, 05:44 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]It didn't become useless all of  a sudden. It just hasn't ever been very useful.

You continue to amaze me with your ignorant posts.
(2018-11-08, 05:44 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-08, 05:31 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]How can it be useless all of a sudden.

It didn't become useless all of  a sudden. It just hasn't ever been very useful.

To whom ? EVERY board owner ?

or just, as you say "you are concerned with are your own" ?

.. because that seems like you're speaking for "every board owner"

I have never been on a MyBB forum where anyone has asked for  that feature to be removed, or turned off.
(2018-11-08, 05:31 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]What I am worried about is that the uptake of MyBB will be even less after the features have been hacked away.

We're not hacking away at features. We are proposing to remove features that are not useful and could easily be implemented as a plugin if an administrator needs the feature.

(2018-11-08, 05:56 PM)v_2 Wrote: [ -> ]I have never been on a MyBB forum where anyone has asked for  that feature to be removed, or turned off.

There are countless MyBB features that have on/off switches. Many of those switches weren't always there -- they were added (in MyBB 1.2 and 1.4, if I remember correctly) because many administrators requested that we add them so they could easily turn off features they don't use.
(2018-11-08, 05:58 PM)Justin Wrote: [ -> ]There are countless MyBB features that have on/off switches. Many of those switches weren't always there -- they were added (in MyBB 1.2 and 1.4, if I remember correctly) because many administrators requested that we add them so they could easily turn off features they don't use.

Ok, but there is a difference between "easily turn off" and "removed"(not available).
(2018-11-08, 05:56 PM)v_2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-08, 05:44 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]It didn't become useless all of  a sudden. It just hasn't ever been very useful.

To whom ? EVERY board owner ?

Nah, just about 13.64% of them Toungue

[Image: XrTmQ5F.png]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7