MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Studios
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(2009-01-29, 03:20 AM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-01-29, 03:18 AM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-01-29, 03:06 AM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]You can make it so people don't need to be registered to see attachments. It's a shame you want to charge already.:s
And once again, if I ever want to charge, I have to do it from the beginning.
Not true. I've seen many sites offer free and paid themes, and some of them converted to being fully-paid theme/plugin services, without losing any members/supporters. You just need to have good enough themes and not have outrageous prices.
I do not understand how $5/year is an outrageous price.
(2009-01-29, 03:21 AM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-01-29, 03:06 AM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]You can make it so people don't need to be registered to see attachments. It's a shame you want to charge already.:s
Not true. I've seen many sites offer free and paid themes, and some of them converted to being fully-paid theme/plugin services, without losing any members/supporters. You just need to have good enough themes and not have outrageous prices.
I never said it was. But if that's all you'd charge, why would it kill you to actually get supporters first? Hell, I've done it on numerous of my friends sites and noone left, except maybe 2-4 people who just didn't feel like paying the $3/month which also included some added perks on their forums..
I agree about folks not wanting to pay a subscription. It wouldn't be so bad if you had several themes rather than just the one to offer, and maybe the "default" theme you use (if you're offering that one as well). When folks go to forums, they at least want to see something more to justify paying a subscription fee.

May I suggest that for now rather than having the subscription, you have something like a post count figure (maybe 10 posts or 20 or whatever) that members have to achieve before being able to download the themes...That's "useful" posts, not one word post just to get their post count up.
(2009-01-29, 03:21 AM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]

Because you only have one theme and there are multitudes of better themes available for free. You're naive and delusional.
Let's not be rude here, but to be honest, I wouldn't pay $5 for a subscription for 1 theme. MyBB Central never had the subscription system until recently, but they had a lot to offer before.
Consider changing your ideas,
Best Regards.
Zash, Dont listen to them. You doing fine. the Skin need to be redone yes, but you are trying and thats what matters. Just keep working on skins and graphics and you will be hugh in about 2-3 months if you keep active and go for the dream you have. If I knew this when I started I would have kept it. Dont make it about the money but the passion you have for skins and designs and mybb, do it for the people you will meet, the friends you will make, and the opportunity that will come your way.

Hope this helps man.
(2009-01-29, 09:46 AM)Deathstarr Wrote: [ -> ]...Dont make it about the money but the passion you have for skins and designs and mybb, do it for the people you will meet, the friends you will make, and the opportunity that will come your way.

Hope this helps man.

Good point, passion for what you do is important. Smile
(2009-01-29, 09:46 AM)Deathstarr Wrote: [ -> ]Zash, Dont listen to them. You doing fine. the Skin need to be redone yes, but you are trying and thats what matters. Just keep working on skins and graphics and you will be hugh in about 2-3 months if you keep active and go for the dream you have. If I knew this when I started I would have kept it. Dont make it about the money but the passion you have for skins and designs and mybb, do it for the people you will meet, the friends you will make, and the opportunity that will come your way.

Hope this helps man.
Thanks man.

And I'm going to be releasing new skins every week or two, whether I have 50 subscribers or none. I have no problem constantly releasing themes if only one person downloads any of them.
(2009-01-29, 09:46 AM)Deathstarr Wrote: [ -> ]Zash, Dont listen to them.

You obviously don't no online non-tangible business. By offering your stuff for free temporarily you begin to grow a good community and reputation. Once you have a plethora of good themes and a fair size community you then can start the subscription service, users who loved your stuff will subscribe. Now you have 1 theme, I can go and subscribe, but what's my benefit? How do I know you're going to continue to add more themes? However, if you had a plethora of themes, whether or not you continue to add more I'd still have good selection. Plus, if and when you gain good reputation their would be good solid information that you continued to release themes.
I'm done here,
Good Luck.
Rcpalace is dead on, but I guess empty positive messages are preferable to negative messages that actually make sense.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10