MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: (Petition) Distinction between "Premium" and "Free" Plugin & Themes Thread Releases
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I agree with frostschutz.
For some people, they might not bother to open some "free" plugins because the word "free" is often associated with "poorly made".
Paid is often associated with "high-quality", despite the fact that some authors charge for pointless plugins.
I think [Commercial] and [Open Source] might be more appropriate..?
But that is all my personal opinion.
Well, it doesn't fit really aswell Toungue
At mybbaddons.com every customer get's the source too and may modify it for his own needs (I think you are free to modify mybbcentral.com plugins for your own needs too).

I personally wouldn't mind donating all money to the MyBB group once the server costs for me and my daily work is covered.
I also have to live Wink

I marked all my addons with a huge orange text telling that they are paid addons by the way.

Kind regards
Lennart Sauter
Quote:I'm all for promoting plugins than anyone can get (preferably FOSS), rather than plugins that ask for money first. The ones who make money can take care of their own promotion...

That sounds a bit unfair. Also know that as a paid plugin it can't be listed in the mods database. I am sure the repository is used by most free authors. Show of hands...how many simply search the mods database when in need of a plugin? You won't get any paid plugins doing that. But I am still in support of the seperation idea. I can't see how it will hurt paid plugins. My preference would be a subforums.
(2009-05-22, 04:47 PM)Infranight Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with frostschutz.
For some people, they might not bother to open some "free" plugins because the word "free" is often associated with "poorly made".
Paid is often associated with "high-quality", despite the fact that some authors charge for pointless plugins.
I think [Commercial] and [Open Source] might be more appropriate..?
But that is all my personal opinion.
Just because the plugins are free does not mean they are open source.

Also, MyBB is "free" so I am sure people looking at these forums for plugins will understand the free is not always associated with "poorly made". Smile
(2009-05-22, 05:40 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]But I am still in support of the seperation idea. I can't see how it will hurt paid plugins. My preference would be a subforums.

I think the only problem with the subforum idea is there isn't that many paid plugins right now(to my knowledge). You have like 20 but other than you there is probably only about 10-20 more.

I also don't see why people are fighting this so much while the paid plugin developers seem to have no problem with it Rolleyes.
Sub Forums: Releases, Paid-Releases, Discussion & Support, Requests, Development
Ryan Loos Wrote:Just because the plugins are free does not mean they are open source.

Also, MyBB is "free" so I am sure people looking at these forums for plugins will understand the free is not always associated with "poorly made". Big Grin
Yes, I agree, not all plugins are poorly made.
And sorry, Open Source was my mistake.

But think of the new users, in vB, paid is better than free, and in some cases, there are only paid.
IMO, I think paid should be separated, but using the word paid and free..?

(2009-05-24, 10:44 AM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]Sub Forums: Releases, Paid-Releases, Discussion & Support, Requests, Development
That could probably be a better solution.
(2009-05-24, 04:52 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-05-23, 02:16 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]I think the only problem with the subforum idea is there isn't that many paid plugins right now(to my knowledge). You have like 20 but other than you there is probably only about 10-20 more.

I have over 40 for 1.4x. Then Lex has a pile too. Now we have a few other authors with subscription fees. I think by end of year there might be as many as 100 plugins under license. imho...many of the sites following my lead will do well and the quality of plugins will grow. No one is asking for $50 or even $20 for plugins...most are using my low-cost method of about $5.

I think a subforums would work if only to give the paid authors their own seperate release forum and it might inspire more authors to make money. While the mere mention of profiting from an "open source" project gets some riled up as pointed out there are legitimate expenses related to running a site, spending time to build plugins, and making sure that support is given. IMHO the paid authors are more likely to long-term produce quality and stick around.

But maybe I am derailing the discussion a bit. I just want to point out that as Mybb grows the paid plugins and themes will continue to grow. That's a natural progression of any open source software. It's now in the hands of mybb how they want to handle the coming tide.

<snip>

Marking threads as paid is different ( best way to go probably ) but even then it probably doesnt look right being that MYBB is a opensource project. JMHO
This thread is not to discuss charging for plugins/themes/etc. - it is for what it says in the original post.

Chris Boulton has said himself that he is happy with people charging for plugins.

Please try to keep all other opinions out of this thread.
(2009-05-24, 09:58 PM)Ryan Loos Wrote: [ -> ]This thread is not to discuss charging for plugins/themes/etc. - it is for what it says in the original post.

Chris Boulton has said himself that he is happy with people charging for plugins.

Please try to keep all other opinions out of this thread.

Um.. Read my post again. I already said i know where MYBB stands on this issue. SHEESH. And what i posted had exactly to do with the thread subject. Huh Which is whether or not paid Plugin should get thier own forum, marked differently.

Quote:And please dont start with the MYBB says it is ok to do. We already know they do and i am not debating that. Thats NOT the point and so lets avoid that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7