MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Recent explosion of paid themes and plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Plugins can be unique you just have to pay for a custom one Toungue.
(2009-07-22, 10:33 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]Plugins can be unique you just have to pay for a custom one Toungue.
I dont need something unique im. Im happy if people are happy. The more people are happy the plugins is better.
Ok, so you only think a unique look is needed/deserves pay? But, something like a unique feature that could separate you from your competition who could have just as good looking design doesn't deserve pay?
Murloc, I think you should re-think about the way you view things. Probably even the way you view the world. Do you imagine how much time it can take to develop a plugin? It can take months even if you spend 2-3 hours per day coding it! I highly doubt a theme can take months to design if you spend at least 2 or 3 hours per day making it.

Themes don't bring you traffic nor money. Think about MyIPN by labrocca or MyDownloads RC5 by me. Both use PayPal (MyDownloads can use PayPal if you want). If you do it right, you can get a lot of money from both plugins. I don't think this happens if you pay for a theme.
We're just on point that if plugin is paid means that's exclusive. Everyone should have chance to compete with each other.
Oh!... But from your point of view, that may not happen with themes if theme authors don't want to!
That looks like discrimination for me or some kind of way to force us to release free plugins for you to get them. Have you ever heard of freedom? I have the rights to release it to everyone or to release it to those who've paid 5 bucks to my site in order to get my plugins. Unless something states that I cannot release plugins to those who've subscribed to my website, I will still do it. No matter what. It's up to me, not you. And I'll repeat what I've said in my other post. You should re-think about a lot of things.

Edit:
And one more thing, I still release free plugins
And one more thing, I still release free plugins
Huh wonder how long will that last or how much are there.
The thing is that you people are protected by MyBB team as white bears. Noone can say anything to you. You're behaving like you're the ones who deserve fame which is not true. And no i won't rethink about it. I myself am developer of open source project PvPGN. A member of Documentation team. We suffer of the unreleased plugins and changes that users make. And im suprised how much of you is ready to defend plugin authors when someone mentions payed plugin topic. PLUGINS SHOULD BE FREE. You're not creating anything else than extension to current software. Oh and if that hurt's your wallet then sorry. It's because of selfish people MyBB isn't successful. Sure you can keep you're payed plugins. Let all people run to PHPBB3 or SMF which aren't good for thing, just because they have FREE PLUGINS.
Murloc, "plugins should be free" is your opinion. You should be able to accept that, in some cases, people are able to charge for plugins. Those people aren't selfish, they're making a hobby into a business. And paid plugins isn't the reason why MyBB isn't successful at all.

Charging for plugins doesn't make you a good developer. It's the quality of the plugins themselves.

I've been working on a plugin for over 6 months, and I'll be charging $5 for a subscription to access it. Regardless of whatever groundbreaking features are in it, you think I'm selfish?... Or am I different to everyone else?
As i said it's the best thing to do towards gaining more people and larger community. Sometimes i feel like MyBB is closed community where some people have their private board. And yes they should be free because it's like cancer. I wouldn't mind if mybb had more free plugins then payed. Sadly that isn't the case here. This board needs some stunning free plugins. But i will never pay for something that i know i can get free. If the people hadn't started charging for plugins we wouldn't have this point of talk in first place.
How are they 'like cancer', exactly? Labrocca is already said he's considering releasing some under GPL, Pirata releases some plugins free of charge, and I believe MyBBSource just needs you to spend it's bux, or something, which means you don't pay anything.

There are around 300 'free' plugins in the MyBB mods database, and probably several hundred more free plugins available on the other websites. So I fail to see how maybe, est. 25% of plugins, are causing a slow and painful death of MyBB. On the contrary, the user numbers of MyBB are actually going up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21