MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Recent explosion of paid themes and plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Quote:But shouldn't you have some moderators to do the job instead of you? To provide support to the users?

So the solution is to ask more people to do stuff for free..lol.

Quote:Because theme is something that is unique to each site. And no i won't pay labrocca 5$ even if he provided 1000 MyBB plugins.

And the beauty is that you don't have to. So why complain it exists as a choice?

Quote:neither will MyBB plugins (most of them) be free.

Most of them are already free.

Quote:PLUGINS SHOULD BE FREE.

Nothing wrong with that opinion but respect the fact it is an opinion.

It's threads like this that make me want to pull the plug entirely on Mybb Central and move on. The hostile environment isn't very cool. There are other things I can do to make money...getting attacked and badgered for trying to make a buck is messed up.

Quote: Labrocca is already said he's considering releasing some under GPL,

And keep in mind I did release at least a dozen for 1.2x before I changed my business model.

Quote: On the contrary, the user numbers of MyBB are actually going up.

Tomm...people aren't seeing the woods through the trees. They just want to believe that because they don't agree with something that it must be evil or bad for Mybb. Mybb can analyze their growth and make their own judgement call on how it wants to run the project. The insistance that MyBB should be run like PHPBB/SMF imho is absurd. Both imho are inferior projects. Both has a wide variety of plugins too. I was there...those projects suck. Many admit to using Mybb after trying one or both of those. Don't blame MyBB for what individual authors have decided.

Quote:So if i get right people who release free plugin on other BBS are sick in the head because they don't want to charge for their plugins?

Many are low-quality buggy plugins. Also because of the large variety of authors it's not too often you see one guy supporting dozens of them. If I had say...3 plugins I wouldn't bother running a support site for them and charging. However I have dozens I need to debug, upgrade, and support. It's time consuming. I don't have to do it and I certainly wouldn't do it for free. Would anyone have made a free IPN subscription module if I didn't? How many have chosen to use MyBB because of this plugin? And if it's so offensive that I charge for it why hasn't anyone made a free alternative? Good questions ehh...

Quote:Why don't you step and admit and say.,, I won't do any free plugins, i want to earn money" ,, We will support payed plugins" ,, Payed plugins are good for you" ,, Here is plugin you need to do payed subscription"? Why does it hurt so much for you all to say that.

What? Doesn't hurt me to say it at all. The paid authors don't imho feel shame even though there is clearly an attempt by a small select group attempting to shame authors into releasing their work for free. That's imho what's going on here. For me it would backfire and I would pull all my work and cease any new development.

Quote: I have always wondered why MyBB being so great product is not as popluar as it should.

As stated by both Ryan and Tomm...in the last year (since paid plugins) Mybb has grown more significantly than the past. You're spreading a falsehood based on your opinion instead of facts. Mybb wasn't popular in 1.1x series because it wasn't as full featured in comparison to phpbb. 1.2x series imho wasn't as popular because SMF had a large variety of plugins and themes. 1.4x has gained group...and imho it will be 2.0 that will really place MyBB near the top. And paid plugins or not this will happen in my view. Nothing is going to stop that.

Quote: Murloc hit the nail in the head when he said that the reason that phpBB and Smf while much inferior to MyBB in features and security

Mybb 1.2x was inferior for security than SMF or PHPBB. You can go view the exploits released and why so many 1.2x versions were released (1.2.12). It's why a 1.4x security audit was done to avoid the same problems. 1.4x is superior and why it's gaining in popularity. Paid plugins aren't stopping people from using the software.

Quote:Not all of us have money to waste. We have to pay for server and other things not just plugins.

So you want the plugins for free but acknowledge you don't want to use free domains or free hosts. That's a contradiction. You can get free internet access, free computer usage, free domains, and free hosting but instead you have chosen to use better quality services by paying. What's so hard to conceptualize paying for plugins?

Quote:MyBB Central "offers" you a subscription in exchange for posts on other websites.

I had to stop that program because people that got the plugins for free were sharing them with others. I have not had that problem since all Mybb subscribers are now paid. I have a clear record through their payment about who they are. And those that have paid have been overwhelming satisfied as customers.

Quote:Even if i started to develop plugins(which i don't have time to do nor am i interested i have more importing matter to do) i would release any of them knowing there are people like there who charge for plugins.

WOW...holy cow twisted logic. You're saying you have no time to develop plugins but if you did they would be free. Well I don't have time either....especially for free. Who would? That's sort of the point. Few here have the "free" time to make plugins for others for free. It's just the type of world we live in. The economy is tough..people need to make a few bucks for their efforts. It's always the non-authors that make these type of comments..."oh if I was making plugins they would be free"....how often do you see even the free authors complaining about the paid model? That's because they understand the time and effort placed into plugins. I started from scratch years ago...so can you. Start writing some plugins for free. When you have 200 hours of development in your pocket come talk to me about free again. I have a feeling you would "get it" as right now you seem just bitter things aren't free.

Quote:It was huge error letting paid plugins developer do the job they do now. MyBB is the one who pays the biggest price of that even tough now all seems ok.

Another statement based on opinion instead of fact. You need to get over yourself and the high and might opinion you're placing here. Just because you say so doesn't make it true. MyBB team would be the only ones with the data to state the truth. They know it has not hurt the project and that a select few have been upset. I hate to say this but...why not find another project that makes you happy instead of fighting what MyBB has chosen as acceptable? I wouldn't stay here if I thought the philosophy of Mybb wasn't suitable for me.

Quote:I can guarantee that half of this people wouldn't pay for these plugins if it knew it's free on other BBS. It looks like scam to get people's money.

No one hides that fact. And even when people complain in a thread to me about paying I point them to free alternatives. I don't want people to join Mybb Central with an attitude. If you want free...go for it. You just won't get it from me nor am I obligated to provide it.

Quote:Even if i get all these plugins for free on other BBS, I wouldn't migrate from MyBB....

And that's the actual more popular opinion based on facts. Based on 650 already paid Mybb Central subscribers. Based on the statements of the Mybb Team.

Quote:There is simple solution if you don't want your time lost then don't code and go outside on fresh air.

And the same solution applies to you...if you don't want to pay for plugins then don't. We all choose to do what we need in our lives. Respect that.

Quote:We need to make this topic clear once for all.

It's been made clear over and over and over again. MyBB has expressed they have no problem with paid plugins by authors. I believe they are neutral on the subject but are willing to defend the rights of any authors that choose that path. Paid authors shouldn't be prosecuted by MyBB for trying to make a few dollars while enhancing MyBB. Would you feel the same way toward template authors? What about if someone wanted me to do a custom plugin or theme? Should MyBB place a complete restriction on earning money from the project? What about hosts? Let's say I want to setup a hosting package for MyBB admins...should they disallow that too? Oh and what about ads? Should admins be told you can't have ads because you'll make money through MyBB project? Get real and think about what you're saying.

Quote:And i request that staff finally tells this: ,,We are with payed plugins and we support payed plugins

I believe they are working on a new license to clarify once and for all they are not for or against paid plugins. It's a matter of individual choice. MyBB has clearly stated that the MyBB base will always be free. I believe them.

Quote:Choose your sides. Be the man for once.

This isn't some war or gang situation. Be mature for once.

Pirata Wrote:I think you should stop talking like if you were the community. Everytime you say something you talk about your opinion like if it was everyone's opinion.

I guess I wasn't the only one to notice that.

Quote:. I just want to hear official statement from staff about payed plugins.
It's been stated over and over again...they have no problem with it. Now what?

Quote:Pirata you're behaving like you're in danger. Why should you fear if payed plugins have MyBB support?

It's not fear...just a good debate. If you are allowed to express an opinion why are you fearful of a counter opinion?

Quote:I wonder if we were talking about the staff supporting me and labrocca or paid plugins

Exactly Pirata...there is this misconception that paid authors are related to Mybb team. It's one reason I won't join the team on any level to avoid the association.

Quote:Haha don't make me laugh. You don't know who am i. The MyBB staff should say that and end this for once. If they support those plugins fine.

http://community.mybboard.net/thread-317...#pid212284

Chris Boulton Wrote:Labrocca has asked me to follow up this thread in regards to the paid plugins/services as an official stance on it from the MyBB Group.

Our official stance is as Justin noted: Labrocca is free to release his modifications for free or paid, it's entirely his decision because they're his work. We have no problem with this.

Whilst we believe in MyBB being free software, not everything about MyBB needs to be free. Third party companies and people are free to offer whatever services they'd like to, and charge as much or as little as they'd like for them.

In regards to the supposed "advertising" of MyBB Central, it'd be unfair to remove MyBB Central from the listings, threads and discussions. We're here to promote fairness to all of those offering third party services for MyBB - paid or free.

So is the debate over?
I hope so. Big post.
(2009-07-22, 04:00 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]It's threads like this that make me want to pull the plug entirely on Mybb Central and move on.

I hope that when you pull the plug (anyone moves on sooner or later) you don't do it in a way that leaves your users completely in the rain. I don't use your plugins so I don't care personally, but it sucks to depend on paid plugins only to find that they can't be used anymore because the maintainer pulled the plug and license prevents anyone else to maintain them... Undecided
(2009-07-22, 12:57 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-21, 09:20 PM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-21, 08:46 PM)DougSD Wrote: [ -> ]It's not our fault if plugins and themes aren't free. They're not developed by us. Personally, if I started designing more plugins and themes, I would charge for them. When I develop a plugin or theme, I'm taking away time I could be spending on other projects or hanging out with friends. I wouldn't want to charge a ridiculous amount, but I would charge a reasonable amount ($5-10). That may not sound like a lot, but after 100 people buy it, I have almost $1,000. That's a more than fine amount of money for me. Wink I want to help people out, but I don't want to lose my life.

Anybody that charges more than $10 for a simple theme or plugin is ripping you off. If it were a custom theme or an advanced plugin, it would be worth the money.

But what happens when you have 20+ people doing that? 5x20 = 100.00 dollars a year. How exactly is that gonna encourage people to MOVE/Convert from IPB/vB etc to MYBB? Nobody EVER thinks of that do they? Yet half this thread is about MYBB being mostly used by noobs/start ups. Why in the world would anyone give up thier license that for one they already paid for and secondly only costs them 50 bucks a year to keep up with ALL the trimmings/features that is gonna cost them more to get here by having to go thru all those various people for paid plugins? Doubt it will attract any from phpbb/smf either. As much as people hate to admit it in the end that is what it all boils down too. Features and what can be had and then security. That is what people are after. The ONLY way MYBB will be possibly able to combat that is by adding alot more stuff and thus features. So again a line has to be drawn somehow someway if ALL is to benifit. Just a matter of where that line gets drawn. I would like to think that a line shouldnt have to be drawn and that more people would do it themselves to help out the project, themselves and eachother. I still find it amazing how soo many have managed to find their way here that feel the need to be paid for such stuff and yet it never has been a issue at the other free forum scripts. Why is that? This too doesnt say a whole heck of alot about the community and thus too why people probably avoid MYBB which is sad because it is a great system and the developers here deserve better then that for all the hard work they have put in to this great system. Developers can only do soo much at which point then it becomes up to the rest of us ( the community ) to further it and thus help get more intrest in it. Any of you guys know who run a forum that YOUR COMMUNITY is what will make or break you.
Everyone always thinks when i say this stuff that i am doing it to be mean or whatever to the paid guys. Thats not it and truth be told there is nothing wrong with wanting to earn a little extra income but there IS a point when it becomes too much and deterrs people from using MYBB and thus has a negative effect overall on MYBB and yes i strongly believe we have reached that point. JMHO

(2009-07-21, 10:35 PM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-21, 10:29 PM)combus Wrote: [ -> ]You could've accepted you made a typing mistake... we all saw your post used to say "MYBB should do a thing"

My bad. I honestly didnt see it.
(2009-07-21, 10:35 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-21, 10:24 PM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]Do a search. No i havent helped much in the support forum but i have in the themes/plugin areas. I guess the same could be asked of you? In the end we are BOTH users and thus have every right to express our opinions in such topics. I suggest if you dont like mine that you skip over them.

The thing is, I'm not going into almost every topic on the board and telling people what to do. I give suggestions, but almost everything you post is totally incendiary and selfish. You really should just stay out of threads about paid plugins because you just post the same stuff in all of them. You've been told by the lead developer to just leave MyBB because all you ever do is compare it to phpBB and SMF, so why not just do that already? Do you really think your constant complaining is going to start some surge of amazing free plugins and themes?

By the way, I do offer support in any way I can, and I'm currently working on developing a completely open theme that others can use as a basis to develop their own designs -- sort of like how I feel about Afresh. I'd love to donate to MyBB but all my money is currently invested in a custom plugin and other activities at my site. The time I spend here giving site critique and helping people out should be evidence enough that I care very much about this project. All you ever express is how much you wish MyBB would change.

The point of this topic was not to say, "NOBODY SHOULD CHARGE ANY MONEY FOR ANYTHING." The point was to get people thinking in how they can contribute in a more productive way and possibly make income later, and not try to charge for stuff that isn't really worth it -- which will just disappoint everyone.

Oh and i didnt add and or give some helpfull thoughts in this thread? yeah ok mr all knowing. Thing is you dont like my suggestions and to that i say too bad. Again your name is not on MYBB and thus you need not worry about what i say.

And yeah i too have offered to do some themes and even showed one i was considering releasing here but it got only one response. Thus i took it to mean it was not something anyone is intrested in. Doesnt mean though i am not working again on something else to give here.

And you are one to talk about barging into everythread with crap. Search is a wonderfull feature. So lets not even go there. You are the LAST person on this forum who should be talking. You have spent half your time in this thread ripping up on the new guys offering paid stuff and have done so in countless other threads ripping people up about this or that. Only intrest you have here is with your boy Labrocca and his little team. yeah it is very obvious as seing how you are in every thread where the subject of one his paid plugins comes up. So please spare me your garbage about who does what here and where i should go. As said before i love the software and have NO ISSUES with it which i have made clear to the lead developer and FOUNDER of this project as well. My issue has been with people such as yourself who are bringing down this great project.

Harry, Bey Brad is right - you come across in a less constructive and more provocative tone then most other people do. We have been monitoring this thread to make sure it stays on track and what I have seen is that Bey Brad has made an effort to use his English grammar and vocabulary in a much more receptive and respectful tone.

Nonetheless, taking your posts without indignation or animosity, I think the MyBB Group can stimulate the participation of this community. We are working to have a more "Open" development process. Everyone will probably be seeing some changes within the next few months.

This is great to hear Ryan. And sorry but Mr Brad IMO has the attitude problem. All was fine till he started with his crap. Same thing seems to happen in alot of other threads he is involved with as well. Do a search. he is very well known to barge into a thread mouthing off to people. Yeah i know i have been known to do that as well but i have stepped back a bit in the past few months but the same canot be said for him. Sorry but i will not roll over to some wisemouth like him. Not gona happen. Thus i suggest saying something about his English Grammar and vocabulary in a more respectfull and receptive tone.

(2009-07-22, 05:35 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I know but more people will download it if it's free and outstanding. Which means that there will be bunch of people ready to donate huge amounts of money.

I don't believe that's true at all. I am sure you can ask Mybb about how great donations are. Maybe some people don't care about quantity of downloads. One of the benefits of a paid plugin is less downloads and that translates into better support because fewer people waste my time. You can dig up an old post where I say something similar as one of the reasons why I switched.

When I was offering everything for free...people expected my support time for free too. It made me want to just stop releasing. I personally thought it better to seek compensation and continue my work. Had I not gone paid...I wouldn't be here.

Quote:The best gift for plugin author is popularity

lol...that's the best? Popularity might work for Paris Hilton but no matter how popular I am as a programmer money doesn't come your way. Ask Ryan how often people give him a gift or donation. And yes...I had given him a gift last Christmas to show my appreciation.

Ryan Gordon Wrote:Nonetheless, taking your posts without indignation or animosity, I think the MyBB Group can stimulate the participation of this community. We are working to have a more "Open" development process. Everyone will probably be seeing some changes within the next few months.

We had about 11 pages of mostly civil discussion on the topic till Harry decided to enter the mix. Makes ya wonder how much this guy is really into the discussion and how much he is into stirring up trouble. It's a fine topic when tempered but it's ugly when people decide it's their way or everything sucks.

And people wonder why i get the way i do? Example A again by labrocca. The discussion was STILL civil till your boy entered the frey and started with his crap. Again understand that i will not roll over for him or you for that matter. Only reason why you are in a uproar is because i dont agree with your paid crap and nothing else. I made sugestions in this thread and added to it and yeah i made other comments but ofcourse it seems only a few like yourself and crew are the only ones who got worked up about it and gee i wonder why? Please lets not even go there. The only thing i can say is to just either put me on ignore or skip over my posts if you or anyone else dont like what i have to say. Sorry but you nor any of your crew is gonna run me off of here as i have not and will not break the rules of the forum. If you dont want me saying anything as well i suggest a few of you all change your attitudes as well when responding to others when this subject comes up.
It is very clear that a few of you all have a agenda here by trying to silence all of those who oppose what you all do and well it is not gonna fly. My SUGGESTION is to take it over to your own forums because if it is here i will be around and will say something and or report threads if need be when one of you all decide to have a attitude with someone here because they dissagree with one of you or want something for free, or whatever it may be.

In the end there is always gonna be people who dont agree with what some are doing and my suggestion is to just skip over it and i suggest those who oppose do the same as well. In the end all have peace. Plenty of room for all here. Someone wants something they cant get for free then just post a request in the request forum. End of story. As said before i'll leave the subject alone but when i see people starting on someone who wants something for free or whatever you better believe i will be there and thus i suggest not doing it. Personally i would rather have staff here do that and stay on top of it. And to try and help i will just report such threads from now on and not say a thing. I believe that is fair for all.

Now can we please get this and keep this thread on topic. Toungue
Labrocca ingore this bro. He justs whines cuz it isn't free. But again he probably runs windows.

I hate paying for things.
That said i have a legal! Copy of XP, Vista, Home, Business, and Ulitmite, Photoshop cs3 and upgrade Cs4.

I usually run linux, But hey sometimes you need to pay for something if you need it.
(2009-07-22, 04:34 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Labrocca ingore this bro. He justs whines cuz it isn't free. But again he probably runs windows.

That said i have a legal! Copy of XP, Vista, Home, Business, and Ulitmite, Photoshop cs3 and upgrade Cs4.

I usually run linux, But hey sometimes you need to pay for something if you need it.

And how are you helping by saying that he whines? Again there is gonna be people who will ALWAYS dissagree with this stuff and thus i suggest taking your own advice and not responding especially with insults like that.
(2009-07-22, 04:38 PM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-22, 04:34 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Labrocca ingore this bro. He justs whines cuz it isn't free. But again he probably runs windows.

And how are you helping by saying that he whines? Again there is gonna be people who will ALWAYS dissagree with this stuff and thus i suggest taking your own advice and not responding especially with insults like that.

Good idea, i completely forgot about the ignore feature on MyBB[/size]!
@labrocca, I hope so Toungue
So many freetards. o.o

To anyone that's arguing against paying the cost for a lunchable to get great plug-ins for a whole year needs to realize that if you took the time to write a huge plug-in (Which I doubt you have the brain capacity to do, since you can't realize the deal you're getting), or even multiple medium sized plug-ins that are great you would want to get your fair share out of that. Yeah, Labrocca may end up with a lot of money by the end of the month due to all the members, but if I'm not mistaken, he donates some of the money to the MyBB project, and continues to release great plug-ins. Seriously, 5 dollars is not that big of a deal, you could probably find it walking down the street. :/

Oh...that reminds me of a personal story I was going to relate.

I use Windows. It's paid for. I run BSD and some free stuff too. I try to get as many free programs as I can. Example would be notepad++, openoffice, Avast Antivirus and Audacity. These free programs suit my needs.

However while I could use GIMP instead I need something more robust and have an Adobe Fireworks license. I could use filezilla but it's inferior to CuteFTP which I use.

I use Opera as my browser and it was a paid browser back in the day..I had a paid license. Fine it's free now but if it was paid I would still pay for it because I find it to be more suited to my needs.

Maybe because of my own personal philosophy that not everything on a computer has to be free and have grown accustomed to paying for things I have a different view. Many today download things free even if they are supposed to be paid for such as music or movies.
I personally use Hulu (free) and have a netflix account to watch online movies. This growing notion in our society that people deserve intellectual property for free is a dangerous one.

Free is fine as I pointed out some free programs I use. But I don't see the need to go ape if someone wants money for a good program. If it's worth it you should pay their fee or find an alternative.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21