MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Recent explosion of paid themes and plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(2009-07-21, 11:38 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]@combus, there are templates with one line only, yeah, but that allows you customize pretty much everything, which is great.

That's true, you can customize how you want the look of every possible situation on your board. I think that's the reason of the many forum_display templates.

(2009-07-21, 04:43 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Here is 2 big tips for template authors.

1. There is a search feature for templates either by name or content. Mybb even has a search/replace too.

2. View the source code of any page you want to alter and you can view the comment tags for the actual name of the template.

Thanks for the tip Smile, but I support Pirata Nervo's idea. Until that's available, I'll just check which ones were changed and revert the ones I didn't want changed.

@Harrywix: do you really think those templates are worth so much? I've been browsing through ExtremePixels skins but I wouldn't pay $30 for one of those. I guess I didn't like them much, perhaps because I don't like vB style (I mean the kind of gradients and such).
You have to remember; themes are in peoples tastes. One may recommend one site, whereas another will not. I prefer doing custom, rather than premade. However; I am working on a premium theme which is coming along great.
I would never (and never will) pay for plugins. If some theme is outstanding it reserves full right to charge for it. And i would buy it. Themes yes, Plugins no.
That doesn't make any sense though
Well, it is all the user's personal taste. One might invest more on the visual presentation if additional features were not needed.
For me, I basically pay for what I need, such as MyBB Central, and your site, Console World, has great addons as well.
For skins, I did think of subscribing, but ever since I learned how to make them, I've always made my own.
I do sometimes scroll around other skinning sites to get ideas and see how they're doing, MyBB Studios made some quite professional ones (during Zash's time there, at least).
Ah, we are of similar minds Infranight. For me, I make my own themes because I know how. I do not purchase them because of that. Plugins, however, I may purchase if I have need for them. Otherwise I will attempt to modify the code to make things work for me.

Being an educated individual is very handy.
I mean in general if one of my administrators makes plugin or code it's kept as closed source only(meaning only for our site). There is no point in modification charge. Rather it's better that all modification should be free. No matter how plugin is powerful it still isn't the reason someone will want to visit your forum. Sure it's one of the reasons but certainly it isn't the main reason. The main reason is visual look. Any MyBB theme developer reserves right to charge for it's themes.
PHPBB,Vbulletin,SMF, they all have payed stuff(themes portals) but they don't have paid plugins (few).
Yes but at the same time if it is an extremely complicated plugin then is the developer going to want to give away his hard work for nothing (other than user's thanks). Theme's can be quickly and easily done but plugins require somewhat more work.
I know but more people will download it if it's free and outstanding. Which means that there will be bunch of people ready to donate huge amounts of money. The best gift for plugin author is popularity which would make them popular in community as well across other boards. As i said no plugin should be charged no matter how complicated it is. Donation is better choice which earns more money then charging for it.
If you make a plugin then you have no guaranteed thanks for it so if you charge for it then you will get something in return. Popularity is a good thing yes however if the plugin is very popular anyway then people will be prepared to pay for it and if they wish donate more money as a thanks. Donation again isn't guaranteed so if you want something back from your plugin then paid subscription would be the way to go. However the plugin would obviously have to be good enough to pay for in the first place.

Why should theme's be any different? They have popularity and there isn't a guarantee that you would get something back for that either.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21