MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Recent explosion of paid themes and plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Quote: It's like you're paying to become more stressed out.

Exactly. Lots of authors and helpful people just walk away from projects because of this. It's amazing that some of the Mybb team are still here after years of abuse by members and users. They do it for nothing too.

But for the most part people do burn out quick. Even at Mybb Central I had about 3 months where I just closed the request area because I was flooded with people asking in demanding ways for alterations or plugins. It can quickly overwhelm a person.

Quote:The downside with subscription thing is that if you can't add debit/credit card, you have ti pay 10dollars

The upside to that is the subscription is permanent.
labrocca. without a cc or dc you can't even send money via paypal.
(2009-07-21, 01:32 AM)JKD Wrote: [ -> ]labrocca. without a cc or dc you can't even send money via paypal.

He accepts other forms of getting a subscription and I'm sure many of the other sites would be willing to work our deals with you. I know Labrocca will let you post on some of his many sites and he does support by mail(or used to).
(2009-07-21, 01:32 AM)JKD Wrote: [ -> ]labrocca. without a cc or dc you can't even send money via paypal.

So get a bank account for God's sake. It's not that hard. How does anyone over the age of twelve even function without them anymore?
(2009-07-19, 09:03 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]I think this is interesting and worth discussing enough to make a topic about it ...

I've always been a proponent of people charging for their themes and/or plugins, because really, people have the right to do whatever they want with their creations. In fact, I'm still not against it if that's what people want to do.

However, there's recently been an explosion of paid MyBB sites to the point where there seems to be a lot more paid content than free content. The worst part of it is, people seem to have no concept of what is worth paying for and what isn't. MyBB Central is able to get away with charging a subscription simply because there is so much available there and such consistent development that you can pretty much be assured you'll get your money's worth.

People are charging for subscriptions when they don't really have any content worth selling. Not only is this a poor business decision, it reflects poorly on MyBB to have so many people charging for themes and plugins that are largely free on other software. In the end, people have a right to do what they want, but I can hope that they at least reconsider.

(HarryWx is going to have a field day with this!)

Not really. Toungue I think i have said all that needs to be said as far as this discussion goes about Paid plugins. Other then that i do agree with you about this topic. The one thing i have not touched on but you did is where the themes are concerned. YES there has been some nice themes but sorry none of them are worth paying for. Now if i see skins like you see on eXtremepixels or skins by dragonfly then yeah they have earned the right to charge. This IS one of those areas where MYBB as a whole is lacking. Really amazes me. The MYBB market is open for the taking and thus cant believe nobody has jumped on it but there is probably reasons as well for it. AGAIN there is some nice themes but still nothing close to the quality of those places i mentioned. Have seen a skin or two come close here but thats it. What really grates me is when i see someone wanting to charge just for simple color changes. Part of the problem here i believe is because nobody hardly ever wants to help out in those forums when people ask for help with a theme or something of the sort with designing. Heck this even applies to plugins. I had a couple of threads asking for input etc about a theme i was working on and thinking of releasing but only one person ever replied. Sorry but that doesnt say a whole heck of alot about this community and NO i am not talking about the developers/support people. They have enough to do with support and developing MYBB. The worst are those who start up with the there is a paid plugin or whatever and add NO HELP at all when a topic is posted in the request or help forums. If you dont wanna help then please do all a favor and stay out of the thread and maybe let someone else help if they can. I cant imagine the people who probably get turned off at MYBB when they see threads like that. And YES this is usually what will get me started as well. Again if you cant help then just stay out of the thread and keep the wisecracks to yourself.

I thus think it would help if MYBB added people just for that. Basically help with themes/skinning and those for plugins and such. Something sorta like phpbb has done if i recall correctly.
The problem is finding the people to do that. The reason I don't help with plugins is I don't know jack.

Themes I can hep with for the most part but a lot of things people want to do require a lot of work or are so simple that they have been answered a thousand times.
(2009-07-21, 02:52 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is finding the people to do that. The reason I don't help with plugins is I don't know jack.

Themes I can hep with for the most part but a lot of things people want to do require a lot of work or are so simple that they have been answered a thousand times.

I hear you. Would still be nice though to have them and i really believe it would help out in the long run. Thing is as you said is finding those people.
Yeah, I try to help users with stuff I understand, but unfortunately it isn't a whole lot.

There are a few great free themes for MyBB (namely Afresh and IVGeo themes) but I agree that in general finding a decent theme for MyBB is really hard. If any coders want to work with me on one, drop me a line.
Well I just ordered 5 themes that will be free Big Grin. I don't know what they'll be like though yet.
You have to remember though HarryWX people like Pank from ExtremePixels and places like Minerskinz.com and skinbydragonfly.com and the rest that produce some outstanding stuff, that is there profession they are qualified professional graphic designers, I totally understand what your saying though.

Would be good if MyBB had people like Minerz who makes quality vB themes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21