MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Recent explosion of paid themes and plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(2009-07-20, 01:35 PM)Murloc Wrote: [ -> ]Also what i don't like is that everyone thinks that MyBB is Vbulletin clone. MyBB is independent product which is far better is some aspects then many of free bulletin board software.

I'm glad I'd not alone in thinking that. I go on a vB forum daily and can't see how it's like MyBB at all.
Murlock, according to him 40% goes back as donations for mybb project.
Barely when you got to their forums they say use MyBB as free alternative it's almost a clone of Vb which i think MyBB is not. MyBB is unique in it way. As for people wanting themes like Vbulletin know that some of vbulletin mods and themes change the look of the Vbulletin to look like MyBB. You be the judge who has made better impression. (MyBB for the win)
(2009-07-20, 01:43 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I'm glad I'd not alone in thinking that. I go on a vB forum daily and can't see how it's like MyBB at all.

They have their similarities, but that's just because the overall look and feel of a message board is shared across more than just MyBB and vB.
(2009-07-20, 01:35 PM)Murloc Wrote: [ -> ]And question for Jesse. Why did you started charging you're plugins, except for server costs?

I really don't see the reason he has to answer to this. I mean jesse is probably one of the people that isn't staff(or never was) that has put the put time and effort to helping MyBB.

He puts a lot of time into making his plugins and deserves to get a little money in his pocket for it. It's not like he's running to the bank with thousands of dollars every month. It's freaking $5 a year!
Well, adding paid subscriptions as a default feature for MyBB isn't exactly going to help this issue, now is it?
(2009-07-20, 06:05 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, adding paid subscriptions as a default feature for MyBB isn't exactly going to help this issue, now is it?

Umm what?
@Netsage, doesn't it just make it that much easier for users to throw up a paysite?

Anyways, isn't this exactly what I said before? If you include this as a default feature (paid subscriptions) essentially people may ruin their own websites. I was told it's their problem and reputation, not MyBB's. Now I'm being told it will give MyBB a bad reputation.

I understand I may not have the best themes around, but they're not junk. If people choose not to buy my themes then I will find alternative routes and make adjustments where I see fit. I'm trying to earn a bit of extra money so I can actually go to a few different places and donate a few bucks here and there, everything over and above that is bonus.

Now I will bring this question up again, why is MyBB any different from IPB or vBulletin? One answer was that those users pay a hefty price for their software. However, typically speaking, 10 hours of work to design a theme for vBulletin is still the same amount of work as spending 10 hours on a MyBB theme. We can sit here and discuss 'well, MyBB is free, so why pay for themes?' and 'other people will do it for free', but what's the point in that? I'm certainly not hounding for money; I've done a large amount of theme modifying and software modding for a website for free. Zero-zip. I figured I could earn a bit on the work I'm doing since I'm on the computer a lot anyways.
I thought you were responding to my reply that's all. Now I understand Toungue.

Umm well yes and no. I mean I think subscription should be a default feature. Although not every forum should use it. It's a great way for forums have an established userbase a small source of income for server costs and what not.

I in no way think it will hurt MyBB. But, that's not what the topic is about. It's about all these sites with orange plugins/themes asking for subscriptions.
Maybe I got a bit off-topic. :|

I just felt this was directed at me.

Somewhat.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21