MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: FAQ on MyBB 1.6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Seeing as threads are cropping up on this, to save repeating ourselves, here's some basic information.

When will it be released?

As with all MyBB releases, whenever it's ready. I (we) don't know a set date for release any more than you do. When it's been tested and is deemed to be stable, we will release it to you all to enjoy. You can see here all the new features have been completed. They need to be tested to make sure they are ready to be used by the masses; we don't want to rush it to get it to you faster but then provide you with a less stable product.

Will I have to rewrite plugins?

The change from 1.4 to 1.6 is not as big as the change from 1.2 to 1.4 was. 1.6 mainly added code, there wasn't a lot of rewritten code like with 1.4. Because of this, we hope at least 80% of your plugins will work with 1.6 with you only having to change the version compatibility in the plugin file. Some plugins may need changes, however they will not be as major as the 1.2 to 1.4 upgrade.

Will my themes work?

No, however there will not be too much work involved in making them compatible. With 1.6 there are a few new templates, CSS classes and images, however, similar to plugins, the change will not be drastic and will not be as big a change as the 1.2 to 1.4 upgrade was.

Will the default theme be changing?

No, as that would be quite a big change, which would break themes more than is necessary and would break plugins too. The theme will be changed in 2.0, a total rewrite of the system. 1.6 will look pretty much the same as 1.4.

How long will MyBB 1.4 be supported?

As detailed here, at least 6-7 months. This is so we can make sure people have enough time to get their plugins and themes upgraded to work with 1.6. However we recommend to upgrade as soon as you can to benefit from the new features.

Got a question not answered here?

Go ahead and ask it! Smile Try to keep all 1.6 questions here so there's not millions of different threads, and so people can find everything in one place.

Those are the main questions being asked, this will be updated with any other FAQs that get asked.

Further reading: [wiki]1.6.0[/wiki]
I have waiting a thread like this. Thank you so much Matt.
The only new class I noticed was for the remember box, but I guess there will be some sort of guide of classes/templates to update.
(2009-12-31, 05:54 PM)combus Wrote: [ -> ]The only new class I noticed was for the remember box, but I guess there will be some sort of guide of classes/templates to update.

Classes are not templates. Classes can be found in inc/class_*.php
Smile
I think he means CSS classes.
Oh that makes sense lol
Looks like there's also a few new CSS Classes at the bottom of global.css.
ohh true, didn't check the bottom Toungue But it seems like it won't be much of big deal to convert themes.
This page is also useful to this topic: http://wiki.mybboard.net/index.php/1.6.0
thanks for that Tim! Now I see what some new classes are for Smile

EDIT: ohh this is the first time I really read that list, MyBB 1.6 is amazing :O
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17