MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Tutorial] 10 Steps for Achieving the Maximum Possible Speed for Your MyBB Forum!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Just combine all of them into one. e.g use general.js as your base, then copy the content from each js file into general, make sure it is separated by a ; every time (it should be).
Would loading mybb_threads and mybb_posts into memory help as well? Are there any drawbacks to that?

EDIT: Nevermind, the tables don't support it lol.
(2011-05-15, 01:16 AM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]Would loading mybb_threads and mybb_posts into memory help as well? Are there any drawbacks to that?

EDIT: Nevermind, the tables don't support it lol.

Yeah, it wouldn't be supported.
Will add the CDN guide very soon, stay tuned!
Wanted to share this with you as it's given me some very large improvements: http://blog.jcoglan.com/2007/05/02/compr...tion-code/

The idea is that you gzip individual large files (25+ KB for optimal results) which will then be loaded instead of the normal ones, decreasing page size. This requires no template edits whatsoever, just add that entry to your htaccess and go in the CPanel and make GZipped archives of individual files. The savings are huge.
(2011-05-17, 03:03 AM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]Wanted to share this with you as it's given me some very large improvements: http://blog.jcoglan.com/2007/05/02/compr...tion-code/

The idea is that you gzip individual large files (25+ KB for optimal results) which will then be loaded instead of the normal ones, decreasing page size. This requires no template edits whatsoever, just add that entry to your htaccess and go in the CPanel and make GZipped archives of individual files. The savings are huge.

The thing is, when you're using the CDN it is already compressed in the cache so I don't think it really would make much difference at all. Did it actually help the speed of your site, or?

Is this just for the MyBB JS files?

Thanks for the post, though! Smile

(2011-05-17, 05:56 AM)Renegader Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-17, 03:03 AM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]Wanted to share this with you as it's given me some very large improvements: http://blog.jcoglan.com/2007/05/02/compr...tion-code/

The thing is, when you're using the CDN it is already compressed in the cache so I don't think it really would make much difference at all. Did it actually help the speed of your site, or?

It's great for JS files and just about any large text file you're using on your server, as well as images if they haven't been compressed enough. I got done working on a site yesterday that had a 200 KB JS file which I compressed to around 70 KB using this method.
Nice tutorial, just want to add you can also use google as your CDN, its free.
(2011-05-17, 10:39 PM)airborne Wrote: [ -> ]Nice tutorial, just want to add you can also use google as your CDN, its free.

That has limitations, you will have to pay if you get lots of visitors and it is pretty hard to manage. It's pretty hard to set up, too.

(2011-05-17, 03:26 PM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]

It's great for JS files and just about any large text file you're using on your server, as well as images if they haven't been compressed enough. I got done working on a site yesterday that had a 200 KB JS file which I compressed to around 70 KB using this method.

Oh okay, I'll add it in after trying it out first.

EDIT: Didn't really help for me, the CDN already compresses it before serving it Sad
(2011-05-18, 05:59 AM)Renegader Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-17, 10:39 PM)airborne Wrote: [ -> ]Nice tutorial, just want to add you can also use google as your CDN, its free.

That has limitations, you will have to pay if you get lots of visitors and it is pretty hard to manage. It's pretty hard to set up, too.

(2011-05-17, 03:26 PM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]

Oh okay, I'll add it in after trying it out first.

EDIT: Didn't really help for me, the CDN already compresses it before serving it Sad

Well not everybody can afford a CDN Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17