MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Tutorial] 10 Steps for Achieving the Maximum Possible Speed for Your MyBB Forum!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(2011-05-25, 09:24 PM)Renegader Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, you need to increase the value of the max_heap_table_size system variable. If you're on a shared server, you may have to ask your host.

If you can't do it, don't stress!

I stress, because my forum eat all of my vps resources.
That's why i tried this thing, but i'm a linux noob.

Oh okay, hope it's all good now.
This helped me on previous forums. Thanks for this!
No problem, glad it helped. Smile
(2011-05-12, 03:46 PM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-05, 01:25 PM)Renegader Wrote: [ -> ]Step 3: Let your CSS files load before your JavaScript. According to Google, this is a simple yet efficient method to reduce load time. This allows JS and CSS files to download in parallel. To do this, find headerinclude in your template list (ungrouped template) and find '{$stylesheets}'. Cut that move it right to the top headerinclude.

Step 7: Minify JavaScript and CSS files. - Minifying JavaScript and CSS reduces the size of the files and will result in faster load times although reduces readability of the file. Click here to use the compressor. Paste each of your JavaScript files (one at a time) in the box and click 'compress'. Copy the new code and paste it over the current JavaScript file (in your cPanel). Repeat for CSS by going into your theme Stylesheets in your Admin CP but make sure to change the 'file type' under the code box on the website.

Step 8: Combine Prototype, General and popupmenu JavaScript Files. Combing JavaScript files into one will reduce the number of lookups and decrease loading time by only having to download one JavaScript file instead of 3. You can easily combine them by going into your cPanel and viewing each of the codes. Next, create a new text file called 'combined' or so. Copy the content of each of your JavaScript files and paste them under each. Once done, save the file as <anything>.js and upload into your cPanel. Next, go into your header include and delete the 3 lines that contain the JS file, leave prototype, and replace prototype.js with <anything>.js. This can also be done with editor.js and other JS files that aren't displayed globally.

I've combined all 3 javascript files (taken from MyBB 1.6.3) into one and minimzed it with yuicompressor 2.4.6
The result is attached. Download it and save it to /jscripts/mybb.js
Then open your template headerinclude and find:

<script type="text/javascript" src="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/jscripts/prototype.js?ver=1600"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/jscripts/general.js?ver=1600"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/jscripts/popup_menu.js?ver=1600"></script>
{$stylesheets}

Replace it with:

{$stylesheets}
<script type="text/javascript" src="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/jscripts/mybb.js"></script>

This will save 2 http requests and 83 kB data transfer. Smile

what about if there's mybb 1.6.4 or 1.6.5 what should we do after we changed into mybb.js? Should i compress it manually again?
Yeah, just repeat.
I thought CloudFlare was doing better recently. Why do you have it crossed out?
Many people have had a huge problem with it (including me). So it's optional now.
I would be kind of interested as wellSmile

I know we've had a few attacks that were brief, but we haven't really had any extended outages at all (I've been out of the office for the last half of May & don't know everything that happened).
"Note, there are some problems with Cloudflare at the moment. Some users may not be able to access your forum for a long period of time on their computer, and will think it's down. Install it if you like, but if problems arise, it's Cloudflare for sure."

Was there a datacenter issue that I'm not aware of because I was gone? It is important to note that one datacenter having temporary issues doesn't mean all site visitors would be having problems.

Example:
If our San Jose datacenter goes down, some visitors on the West Coast might have temporary issues accessing the site. All of the other global datacenters would still be online & visitors hitting those dcs would still be able to get on.
Damon, I've had a huge chat with one of the CloudFlare staff about the issue I'm talking about, she admitted that it was a problem and forwarded it to the network admin or something. I'm not sure if this is fixed yet, but it was causing so many problems (like some people were not able to access my website at all, while some could... so it forced me to get rid of Cloudflare, I just didn't want to create a problem for others). Here's the thread: http://support.cloudflare.com/discussion...back-james

Everything you can possibly think of is in the ticket. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17