MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Like system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hello guys.
I think on the next update MyBB should come with a Like System.

Where you can Like posts like you Like comments on Facebook.
A bit like XenForo.

What do you guys think?
Thanks.
Better as a plugin.
(2012-02-02, 06:06 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]Better as a plugin.

Wink
I'm pretty sure g33k will update his marverlous thankyou/like plugin to work with 2.0 whaen the time comes.
A good software is a software that comes with the essentials, is tiny, easy to use and where plugins come to suit the software for each one's needs. A bad software is a software that is congested with core features and where plugins come to do nothing.

Imagine if Windows or Mac OS or Linux came with ALL the applications you would need to use already built in as core features. Life wouldn't have a taste anymore.
To me that seems more like, Windows coming with a media player, or a picture viewer. Not everyone needs it, but most will use it. I see a like system as something a lot like that, it would see tons of usage, but not everyone would use it. I think neglecting literally everything aside from the basics does the same thing as putting too much in. Certain things should be in imo, and a simple like system should be one.
(2012-02-03, 12:16 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]To me that seems more like, Windows coming with a media player, or a picture viewer. Not everyone needs it, but most will use it. I see a like system as something a lot like that, it would see tons of usage, but not everyone would use it. I think neglecting literally everything aside from the basics does the same thing as putting too much in. Certain things should be in imo, and a simple like system should be one.

Trust me, a like system will reduce people posting. People generally find it easier to thank a post by hitting like than by actually thanking them by posting it.

(2012-02-03, 08:10 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-03, 12:16 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]To me that seems more like, Windows coming with a media player, or a picture viewer. Not everyone needs it, but most will use it. I see a like system as something a lot like that, it would see tons of usage, but not everyone would use it. I think neglecting literally everything aside from the basics does the same thing as putting too much in. Certain things should be in imo, and a simple like system should be one.

Trust me, a like system will reduce people posting. People generally find it easier to thank a post by hitting like than by actually thanking them by posting it.

That's not right, we have a like system and it has not reduced posting. xenForo has a like system as well and they don't have any problems. Furthermore, "Thanks" posts are useless and SHOULD be handled with a like system, rather than posting thanks.
(2012-02-03, 11:55 AM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-03, 08:10 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]

That's not right, we have a like system and it has not reduced posting. xenForo has a like system as well and they don't have any problems. Furthermore, "Thanks" posts are useless and SHOULD be handled with a like system, rather than posting thanks.

Try removing the like system and you will see for yourself.
You wouldn't notice a huge drop, and especially if its a big board. But it does reduce activity to an extent.
(2012-02-02, 09:48 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]A good software is a software that comes with the essentials, is tiny, easy to use and where plugins come to suit the software for each one's needs. A bad software is a software that is congested with core features and where plugins come to do nothing.

4 years ago people said same thing about phpBB3. "Not in core, but you have plugins!", or "customise package via plugins"... and people went "meh, to much hassle, ima converting to MyBB".

There is some functionality that people perceive as standard, even if it doesnt really fit forum. For example private messages. 10 years ago people went "why private messages when you have emails?". Today means for private communications are musthave for forum software that wants to be big player on market.

Leave too much stuff outside box and you will make same mistake phpBB3 did. Users will go "oh, why bother searching, selecting and installing plugins when software XYZ has that out of the box?". Back then ton of people moved to MyBB (me included). It was ridiculous how bare it was when compared to MyBB.

And you need to be attractive to people to attract new guys to help testing software, give help to other members, give feedback, write modifications and make theme, as well as people who eventually will make candites for team.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8