MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2.0 has Thread Rating:?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
No. Liking the first post shows you like the first post. Liking other posts show you like them. In my opinion that gives more control and information than giving an arbitrary star rating to a whole thread.
but liking a post increases the poster's usefulness to contribute, but it doesnt mean the poster can "start a conversation"....which incidentally why you have threads and posts Toungue

Likewise posticons tell us the mood of the poster about the subject being posted it doesnt tell you the mood of the person overall

besides likes are yes or no, ratings are on a scale
I also strongly support ranking content.
(2015-10-07, 06:56 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Liking the first post shows you like the first post. Liking other posts show you like them.

Even though I'm a newbie, but I think I know a little bit (not much) about what the post liking is.

What I meant is, thread rating is for the whole thread, while post liking is for a specific post. Am I wrong?
Or am I wrong liking the first post isn't the same as liking the whole thread?

(2015-10-07, 06:56 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion that gives more control and information than giving an arbitrary star rating to a whole thread.
Well, if you already think that the thread rating is an arbitrary rating, well...

Oh, BTW, I don't mind if the thread rating or whatever existing features will be removed from 2.*
Since MyBB rewrites the software, so maybe the new software is more useful than before.
I understand it is impossible for satisfying all type of users Smile
(2015-10-07, 09:20 PM)RateU Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-07, 06:56 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Liking the first post shows you like the first post. Liking other posts show you like them.

Even though I'm a newbie, but I think I know a little bit (not much) about what the post liking is.

What I meant is, thread rating is for the whole thread, while post liking is for a specific post. Am I wrong?
Or am I wrong liking the first post isn't the same as liking the whole thread?

(2015-10-07, 06:56 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion that gives more control and information than giving an arbitrary star rating to a whole thread.
Well, if you already think that the thread rating is an arbitrary rating, well...

Oh, BTW, I don't mind if the thread rating or whatever existing features will be removed from 2.*
Since MyBB rewrites the software, so maybe the new software is more useful than before.
I understand it is impossible for satisfying all type of users Smile

Liking is associated with a single post, not the whole thread. In my mind it conveys a similar meaning of "I like this content, thanks", just like assigning some X out of 5 rating to a thread. Being able to like only specific content you like rather than everything in a thread seems to give a larger degree of control in my mind - some threads may be mixed with some good posts, some poor in which case you either ignore the poor ones or give the thread a slightly lower rating. With likes you "like" what's good and ignore what's bad.
(2015-10-07, 09:36 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]some threads may be mixed with some good posts, some poor in which case you either ignore the poor ones

Isn't it the same as liking post? Post maybe mixed with some good content, some poor in which case you either ignore the poor ones?
Displaying no. of likes in thread listing can work similar to thread rating in my opinion.
these are such trivial decisions and if Xthreads was core it wouldnt matter Toungue
Time has already passed for serious feature discussions Smile
(2015-10-07, 10:51 PM)meetdilip Wrote: [ -> ]Displaying no. of likes in thread listing can work similar to thread rating in my opinion.

It'd not if you are using something like https://developers.google.com/structured...ts/reviews
Which is a great option for product discussion threads.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8