MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2.0 has Thread Rating:?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
[I like this poll by the way - every thread in here should have a poll like this, so people could agree or disagree without having to write "yes, I too think so"-posts.]
(2015-10-13, 01:34 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I also really don't think it would be that hard to add as a plugin at all. It'd only take one extra DB table, one extra controller action and a little template logic. The JS can be found in any one of thousands of tutorials online.

(2015-10-14, 01:03 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]plus some hefty CSS and JS

Nothing else to comment. I'll add the functionality back as a plugin, I just hope that the hooks will be properly placed and everything is easy to embedd - for example minifying the plugins CSS and JS. Otherwise this is just a waste of work to me.

All in all MyBB 2.0 seems very minimalistic to me - not sure if I'll keep using it if it's just a bootstrapped version of MyBB 1.8. I can code that minimalistic stuff myself. I came here for the features, for the little bit extra compared with other forum softwares. If that is gone by removing features and using a 0815 framework, I can go anywhere.
(2015-10-15, 06:51 AM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-13, 01:34 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I also really don't think it would be that hard to add as a plugin at all. It'd only take one extra DB table, one extra controller action and a little template logic. The JS can be found in any one of thousands of tutorials online.

(2015-10-14, 01:03 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]plus some hefty CSS and JS

Nothing else to comment. I'll add the functionality back as a plugin, I just hope that the hooks will be properly placed and everything is easy to embedd - for example minifying the plugins CSS and JS. Otherwise this is just a waste of work to me.

All in all MyBB 2.0 seems very minimalistic to me - not sure if I'll keep using it if it's just a bootstrapped version of MyBB 1.8. I can code that minimalistic stuff myself. I came here for the features, for the little bit extra compared with other forum softwares. If that is gone by removing features and using a 0815 framework, I can go anywhere.

I think there's a difference between building modern software with less archaic features versus building an ugly piece of software with all of the features in the world.
Euan, define modern software Smile I think you are referring to the php coding rather than the final product. The templates and the theme being responsive is pretty much a given; what else is MyBB 2.0 dropping that was in 1.8?
(2015-10-15, 12:37 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Euan, define modern software Smile I think you are referring to the php coding rather than the final product. The templates and the theme being responsive is pretty much a given; what else is MyBB 2.0 dropping that was in 1.8?

By modern, I mean modern code and styling (eg: responsive style). I'm not wanting to drop features that are actually commonly used in the majority of forums, nor am I wanting to add things that will only be used by a small minority of users. The only things I can really see us dropping are thread ratings, post icons and the calendar (though we've discussed making it an official plugin and removing it from the core). I'm open to having discussions, as we're having here, about what needs to go and what needs to stay.
You might want to feature this thread (and similar ones) in the blog posts as they are read more often instead of specific threads inside this subforum.
its settled then myBB 2.0 need custom post fields Xthreads style Toungue

now that s the design of the modern web interface where people can drop in features as they like Toungue

I think you can drop in widgetised ratings with Xthreads?

the only one that needs to stay from that list is thread ratings, its part and parcel of the forum package for ages and timeless
(2015-10-15, 02:46 PM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]You might want to feature this thread (and similar ones) in the blog posts as they are read more often instead of specific threads inside this subforum.
Yes, I might start doing that. In fact, it might be a good idea to do a "featured threads" type of thing slightly more often (perhaps every 2 weeks if the forum is active enough) to point users at this kind of thread.
(2015-10-13, 05:17 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-12, 11:45 PM)RateU Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-12, 11:25 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]modern designs.
What is that?

most websites today.

LOL. Your knowledge about the "modern design" really really amaze me!
(2015-11-03, 01:05 AM)RateU Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-13, 05:17 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-12, 11:45 PM)RateU Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-12, 11:25 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]modern designs.
What is that?

most websites today.

LOL. Your knowledge about the "modern design" really really amaze me!

go look at a modern website - one that isn't designed for reviews - and tell me if they have ugly rating stars.

even modern forum softwares aren't using thread ratings any longer.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8