MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2.0 has Thread Rating:?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(2015-10-12, 10:43 PM)expat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-12, 08:49 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-12, 03:37 AM)expat Wrote: [ -> ]what it looks like isnt as relevant as what it does Toungue

that's the wrong approach for designing software, IMHO.

no, locking in design features from coders, means the designer has nowhere to go....

less flexibility means poor design of software

mybb will be able to be extended quite easily, I'm sure.

thread ratings are just archaic and look horrible on modern designs.
(2015-10-12, 11:25 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]modern designs.
What is that?
(2015-10-12, 11:25 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]thread ratings are just archaic and look horrible on modern designs.

Guess we will never agree on this BUT a picture tells a thousand words....rather have 5-star ratings than sprawling words "X likes"
(2015-10-12, 11:45 PM)RateU Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-12, 11:25 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]modern designs.
What is that?

most websites today.

(2015-10-13, 12:50 AM)expat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-12, 11:25 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]thread ratings are just archaic and look horrible on modern designs.

Guess we will never agree on this BUT a picture tells a thousand words....rather have 5-star ratings than sprawling words "X likes"

X likes is a modern functionality. rating stars on a forum system are not.
(2015-10-13, 05:17 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]most websites today.

X likes is a modern functionality.  rating stars on a forum system are not.

Go and tell that to
1) Amazon
[attachment=35362]
2) Ebay
[attachment=35363]
3) Trivago (hotels)
[attachment=35361]
and many more. There is no better way for detailled ratings beside 5-star-ratings.

Even facebook understood that there has to be more then a like option. They are at the moment testing emojis.
Yes, but none of those are forums. On Amazon you're rating a product, same with Ebay, and basically the same with Trivago. Forums are completely different. I really don't see why it needs to be a core feature, given that most forums have no use for it.
those ratings are done from the comments, I knew someone was gonna make that silly link.....

And most people want myBB to be a CMS-lite anyways

PS. is myBB 2.0 gonna have Xthreads core stuff? I mean If you take out posticons, ratings, and god knows what else whats left to do ? Toungue
(2015-10-13, 10:38 AM)expat Wrote: [ -> ]those ratings are done from the comments, I knew someone was gonna make that silly link.....

And most people want myBB to be a CMS-lite anyways

PS. is myBB 2.0 gonna have Xthreads core stuff? I mean If you take out posticons, ratings, and god knows what else whats left to do ? Toungue

MyBB will never be a CMS. It was never meant to be. It's a forum system first and foremost.

This isn't the place to talk about xThreads. It's already been discussed in another topic: http://community.mybb.com/thread-117815.html - I've never hidden the fact that I'm a big fan of xThreads and have made substantial usage of it. I'd like to see it in 2.0 at some point. If not in the initial release, then 2.1.0 or a future version. We have to weigh up priorities if we're ever going to ship the software. Keeping on adding every single tiny little thing a few people shout about will mean the software is never finished.
ok that makes sense to get beta out Toungue

And hope the xthread dude/dudette will update it
(2015-10-13, 10:32 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, but none of those are forums. On Amazon you're rating a product, same with Ebay, and basically the same with Trivago. Forums are completely different. I really don't see why it needs to be a core feature, given that most forums have no use for it.

MyBB is a forum of course. I just wanted to show off that 5-star-ratings are still a part of modern webdesign (andrewjs18 argued with that).

As a forum, MyBB is being used for thousands of different use cases. And there are a lot of usecases where people want 5-star-rating functionality. Some of them showed up in this thread - many more will show up if 2.0 is released without ratings.

Implementing a proper 5-star-rating as plugin will be a lot of work (additional JS, additional data tables, additional controller logic, caching mechanism) if it should be done in a good way. I think this should be core.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8