MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2.0 has Thread Rating:?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(2015-10-13, 12:48 PM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-13, 10:32 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, but none of those are forums. On Amazon you're rating a product, same with Ebay, and basically the same with Trivago. Forums are completely different. I really don't see why it needs to be a core feature, given that most forums have no use for it.

MyBB is a forum of course. I just wanted to show off that 5-star-ratings are still a part of modern webdesign (andrewjs18 argued with that).

As a forum, MyBB is being used for thousands of different use cases. And there are a lot of usecases where people want 5-star-rating functionality. Some of them showed up in this thread - many more will show up if 2.0 is released without ratings.

Implementing a proper 5-star-rating as plugin will be a lot of work (additional JS, additional data tables, additional controller logic, caching mechanism) if it should be done in a good way. I think this should be core.

I understand that, but so far there's been mostly a vocal minority replying to this about whether they'd like to see it, and I'd prefer something a little more quantitative. I've therefore added a poll (which I will not vote on so as to not inflate the votes either way). If I turn out being wrong and it is wanted by a majority of users, we can implement it. If it's only the small minority, then I'd hope it's understandable if we focus our efforts elsewhere for now.

I also really don't think it would be that hard to add as a plugin at all. It'd only take one extra DB table, one extra controller action and a little template logic. The JS can be found in any one of thousands of tutorials online.

I hope you understand that I'm not trying to remove features people use, I'm just trying to make sure we don't get distracted from important features. I'm trying my best to please everybody where we can.
I like the granularity of rating a thread (or post) instead of a simple like / dislike. As long as such functionality is available as a plugin (if not in core), I'll be content.
(2015-10-13, 07:45 AM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-13, 05:17 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]most websites today.

X likes is a modern functionality.  rating stars on a forum system are not.

Go and tell that to
1) Amazon

2) Ebay

3) Trivago (hotels)

and many more. There is no better way for detailled ratings beside 5-star-ratings.

Even facebook understood that there has to be more then a like option. They are at the moment testing emojis.

Euan T pretty much stated what I would of said. you're comparing apples to oranges. those sites are DESIGNED for reviews because they sell products. when I'm in the market to buy something, I typically find something with good reviews from people who has used the item before me.

a lot of the newer releases for forums do not include thread ratings: vbulletin, xenforo, woltlab, ipb, etc.

(2015-10-13, 10:38 AM)expat Wrote: [ -> ]those ratings are done from the comments, I knew someone was gonna make that silly link.....

And most people want myBB to be a CMS-lite anyways

PS. is myBB 2.0 gonna have Xthreads core stuff? I mean If you take out posticons, ratings, and god knows what else whats left to do ? Toungue

when someone rates something, I want more than just a visible star rating - I want feedback, criticism, opinions, etc.

post icons should be removed as well. totally archaic and have no place in modern designs IMHO.
the star rating give you a quick guide to the quality of the thread on a minimalist scale, its not the greatest measure but its better than having "2000 likes" which is yes or no

Yes the posticons are non-essential MOODS plugin
Again, please vote in the poll. So far only 7 people have, and 6 of them are against it...
Hope you aint removing the polls too Toungue

Maybe have the ratings as an option like for polls Toungue
Polls are already implemented, and I showed them in the most recent dev blog post.
you need a 5-star rating if you are looking at mobile implementation anyways....cannot have too much text onscreen....

float it right on the thread title

btw, if its that easy to do, and you should add it in anyways LOL its standard forum feature....the poll wont mean much when user come and complain week after release Toungue
(2015-10-14, 12:33 PM)expat Wrote: [ -> ]you need a 5-star rating if you are looking at mobile implementation anyways....cannot have too much text onscreen....

float it right on the thread title

btw, if its that easy to do, and you should add it in anyways LOL its standard forum feature....the poll wont mean much when user come and complain week after release Toungue

I'd actually say downloading an image, plus some hefty CSS and JS is a worse experience for mobile than displaying a simple textual representation of a number of likes received...

It may well be easy to do, but if we continue adding every feature that people want, you'll never see a release.
(2015-10-14, 05:02 AM)expat Wrote: [ -> ]the star rating give you a quick guide to the quality of the thread on a minimalist scale, its not the greatest measure but its better than having "2000 likes" which is yes or no

Yes the posticons are non-essential MOODS plugin

so does replies, views and likes. those are actually more accurate details of a thread than a rating from someone who might of NEVER read the thread to begin with.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8