MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2.0 has Thread Rating:?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(2015-11-05, 03:22 PM)RateU Wrote: [ -> ]I don't even bother to look at the poll. A bit sad for knowing only less than 50 people using MyBB Sad
Maybe if I have some free time later, I'll create some accounts and vote it (vote to drop the feature), so everyone can say it proudly not only 2X, but maybe 10X. It'll make the poll more legitimate.

A bit sad knowing less than 50 people bother to visit this thread/forum. Not all users use the community forums, unless they have a support issue.

Please don't go creating useless accounts to try and influence the vote. I will prune any votes from users with 0 posts. Also remember that having multiple accounts is generally frowned upon here.

I've tried to be as democratic as possible on this, but if you guys can't be civil and stop batting opinions back and forth with no new arguments we might have to close this topic for now.
(2015-11-05, 04:07 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]A bit sad knowing less than 50 people bother to visit this thread/forum. Not all users use the community forums, unless they have a support issue.
A bit sad knowing the every poll creating to this forum is very legitimate.

I already stated my opinion a long ago:
(2015-10-07, 09:20 PM)RateU Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, BTW, I don't mind if the thread rating or whatever existing features will be removed from 2.*
Since MyBB rewrites the software, so maybe the new software is more useful than before.
I understand it is impossible for satisfying all type of users Smile
I just can't hold myself to reply to some comments here.

(2015-11-05, 04:07 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]but if you guys can't be civil and stop batting opinions back and forth with no new arguments we might have to close this topic for now.

You're free to do that Smile

Providing good reasons why something should be denied or dropped is the same as important as asking to provides a good reasons why something should be added.
I voted no because I do not use the thread rating system as it was originally designed. I've modified it to act as a thread favorite system that lets them indicate which threads they enjoy reading the most. I do think that there is merit in allowing users to quickly like/favorite/love/whatever an entire thread as opposed to individual posts. I don't think that liking just the first post of the topic is the same as being able to like a thread overall. I run an RPG, so when people like the whole thread, they're indicating that they like all of the posts & stories written in that topic as a collective whole. Just one example of how a functionality like this could be used, but I'm not fussed about it either way. Plugins work just as well.
Having a Plugin is just simply enough..
(2015-11-05, 06:48 PM)jshort Wrote: [ -> ]I voted no because I do not use the thread rating system as it was originally designed. I've modified it to act as a thread favorite system that lets them indicate which threads they enjoy reading the most. I do think that there is merit in allowing users to quickly like/favorite/love/whatever an entire thread as opposed to individual posts. I don't think that liking just the first post of the topic is the same as being able to like a thread overall. I run an RPG, so when people like the whole thread, they're indicating that they like all of the posts & stories written in that topic as a collective whole. Just one example of how a functionality like this could be used, but I'm not fussed about it either way. Plugins work just as well.

clearly the OP= thread starter is the most important post, everything else is gravy.

but as said, with the time and effort going into this poll, the feature could have been added by now LOL.

And as also said previously, like the calendar, if you dont integrate the feature properly, no use having it: thread ratings need to link to user reputations, etc etc.

Some will say if you need a CMS, then use a CMS, but if you only want a shoutbox, get a shoutbox !
(2015-11-05, 06:58 PM)Bayesian AverageSuperman_ Wrote: [ -> ]Having a Plugin is just simply enough..

The problem is that all existing votes will be gone by the 2.0 upgrade in this case. People will loose thread ratings, stored data... the five-star functionality itself is no problem to be implemented as a plugin - if MyBB does provide proper hooks. The question is if it'd have the same performance and same integration level as in core.

I implemented a custom made five-star rater with bayesian average rating functions into a website a week ago, it's no trouble but you have to go deeply into the system to get a proper caching done. There are a lot of things to look after. Thanks to Pimcore I could implement this easily. I hope 2.0 will be as extendible as Pimcore is at the moment if ratingsa re not implemented in core.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8