MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Update?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(2017-09-20, 10:19 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]That's what the community is concerned about. Developer Nathan who quit since he couldn't handle complaints,

I dedicated four years of my life to this project. Four years. I did that for free. For the community. There was no ROI. I take issue with anyone who comes into the community to bash the project, the team, make demands, cause unnecessary stress, and treat this forum like their own personal kingdom. Devs has proved he has no knowledge of the project or what is required to run it. His suggestions stem from his ego, not understanding. I didn't quit because I couldn't handle complaints. I quit because people like you treat us like shit. I don't have to put up with that. And it hurts me dearly because I love this project.

What you fail to understand is the team is part of the community too. The guardians of the project who take valid suggestions and criticism and outright reject the fuckery of people who think they can change the direction of the project to their liking.

You want something to be concerned about? Be concerned about team members quitting because they no longer find joy in a community which takes them for granted.
You know, Devs. Forks aren't as fun as you think :o

See, I've been part of forks before, forum forks to be accurate, not a MyBB one though. There was one where it was like Game of Thrones with staff constantly plotting against each other to overthrow whoever was currently the leader. Half the team would quit, form a fork, and all the staff would end up there eventually.

It would basically end up as the same project, but under a different name and someone would go through all the files to rename everything each time and we would have a new flashy domain.
And it happened over and over with that project. Until, I got sick of it and said enough and went my own way.

The fun part was where the developers did whatever they wanted. One was ultra MVC. One was ultra procedural.
I wrote up coding standard documents and everyone ignored it. People would rewrite half the software without telling anyone and you might only realise weeks later when you go to look.

And they would rewrite it over and over because no one can agree on what they want the style to be.
That. Is. What. Would. Happen. Under. You.
(2017-09-21, 04:58 AM)Azah Wrote: [ -> ]And they would rewrite it over and over because no one can agree on what they want the style to be.
That. Is. What. Would. Happen. Under. You.

Yup, this. I am currently rewriting my site to be Laravel; once that happens I intend to keep it that way for quite a while, but it needs to be made more current because the other version makes me cry.

I have no intention of rewriting it after that.

It's a shame that Devs isn't going to listen to you, Azah. Really is.
(2017-09-20, 10:19 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-20, 08:22 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-20, 06:51 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]I already gave up on requesting you guys do faster testing and don't test obviously correct code, do what you want there. This is now about the "we're just volunteers" thing when people provide criticism.

What would you expect? I accept criticism on what I do, but absolutely not on when I should do something. Speaking about myself, who are you to request me to do something faster when I do what I can in my spare time? I study from 4 to 6 hours a day and other good 5 hours are spent working in a university hospital; I play ice hockey in the evening; and yet you come here and ask me to speed up my workflow? This is just unfair. This isn't a job, it's something I should enjoy doing when I feel like I have some time.

Oh, and there are people out there who think differently from you and can spot issues in your "obviously correct code" in a minute. Your last PR has been barely tested and yet you have been asked to edit it multiple times: I can't cite any better example. That's why we must test code, even patches coming from us are tested by other developers because what looks good to you doesn't mean it's good to others.

Remember what user devs said to former developer Nathan

Quote:Thats exactly what drives people away. Answers like the one above and general atitude of devs towards regular members. Its better you are out of team.....

That's what the community is concerned about. Developer Nathan who quit since he couldn't handle complaints,

Quote:The thread has reminded me why I left the team and why I won't be rejoining. The community is cancer. That's what drives people away. I feel stressed just thinking about it. If you want progress, be that progress. If you're going to come here to say the team is bad, the code is bad, the project is bad, everything is bad, apart from the way you're treating the people who volunteer their time and effort to maintain this project while dealing with your orange and everything else they're going through in life, eggplant off. /thread
said be that progress.

I saw an issue in MyBB, what did I do? I made a PR and fixed it. I could just create GitHub issues all day and let it be someone else's problem, but rather I took initiative and fixed it. The attitude of MyBB's dev team to normal members though is toxic to NORMAL PEOPLE who want to help either thru feedback or even developers willing to create PRs on GitHub and DO FREE FOR THE MYBB GROUP if you guys aren't careful the community support you guys have could one day go away and it'll just be a few devs working on MyBB, progress will be done even slower, and people will be forced to switch to other forum software. Now is the time to fix these community issues, not after your community starts to disappear.

You say what the "community is worried about" - but is that really true? You realise the MyBB project has had people who oppose every decision we have ever made because you simply can't please everyone. The job of the team is not to do what everyone says, because "everyone" rarely (if ever) agrees. The role of the team is to sift through suggestions and make the executive decision on what is actually a valuable suggestion. Most would agree that not testing PRs would be a bad plan, so we are not implementing that. A good example why would be this. As the codebase doesn't have any kind of unit testing and because PHP versions can differ it really needs to be tested on multiple PHP versions.

Regarding your most recent PR lunorian, that is EXACTLY what we want, contribution. The PR has been under active discussion and is pretty much ready to be merged. That is what the project needs. People fixing things is always better than just reporting. But people fixing things properly is better than just submitting some untested fix.

This discussion really has gone far enough. We have taken your request into consideration and decided that untested PRs are not the best thing for the project, as is our role as guardians of the project. If you don't like that, then we're sorry about that, but we can't please everyone just for the sake of it. Decisions have been made even within the team that haven't received 100% agreement, such is life. Nevertheless, we always try to do what is best for the project, and if the majority of the community asks for something then yes it does hold more weight. This is essentially how we have done feature requests for the past decade.

This has, once again, descended into personal insults and attacks, and has gone far beyond the scope of the original post. So, once again, I'm going to request that it stops, for the final time - or I'll lock the thread. I've hesitated handing out any kind of warnings in the spirit of not appearing to "censor" anyone, but clearly that was a mistake.

So, in summary, yes this update is taking longer than expected, but it is coming. The final PRs are being merged now before we freeze the repo to test, package and distribute the update. If you want to write unit tests for the codebase, you are welcome to, but that is not a priority over fixing actual bugs in the codebase. Unit tests would indeed speed up a lot of testing of PRs but that is a mountain of work for a relatively small benefit, and many users would not see the benefit from it.

2.0 is coming, and development is slow, but also contributions have vastly decreased over the past few years, likely as a result of reducing market share. I work with a PHPBB team member and we have spoken about this extensively and he has mentioned the same is true for them. 2.0 will address issues like a lack of unit tests, and will hopefully be a lot less spaghetti code.
Yea I think I'm done here. Goodbye everyone, it was nice knowing you all, but I'm moving onto communities where I can contribute to without feeling depressed by the lack of progress and treatment by the developer team. I appreciate the things I learned while participating here.
I appreciate what MyBB Group is doing for those who want the very best free forum software option in existence that's both secure and stable. I've been personally using MyBB since a decade ago, so I'm looking forward to seeing further improvements down the road.

Please take your time with the project.
(2017-09-21, 05:24 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]Yea I think I'm done here. Goodbye everyone, it was nice knowing you all, but I'm moving onto communities where I can contribute to without feeling depressed by the lack of progress and treatment by the developer team. I appreciate the things I learned while participating here.
Done here as well. Thanks for your time guys.
I will not try to push my point of view anymore as its simply waste of time. The team here is in fact closed meaning that they are unable to handle criticism (thats why Nathan had quit), they do more harm to the project than good (despite Tom writing essays how good he is and how bad/wrong is community).

Once again I want to make it clear that I am not against MyBB; I am against current team.
Bye everyone.
(2017-09-21, 05:24 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]Yea I think I'm done here. Goodbye everyone, it was nice knowing you all, but I'm moving onto communities where I can contribute to without feeling depressed by the lack of progress and treatment by the developer team. I appreciate the things I learned while participating here.

Didn't you get banned from the MyBB Discord because you posted a Nazi flag? Nice contribution.

(2017-09-22, 05:57 AM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]Done here as well. Thanks for your time guys.
I will not try to push my point of view anymore as its simply waste of time. The team here is in fact closed meaning that they are unable to handle criticism (thats why Nathan had quit), they do more harm to the project than good (despite Tom writing essays how good he is and how bad/wrong is community).

Once again I want to be clear that I am not against MyBB; I am against current team.
Bye everyone.

Yet again you twist my post and prove you have no understanding of the project, the team, or the product. Apparently you two can't handle criticism, eh? Or does that only apply to me?
(2017-09-22, 05:57 AM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]they are unable to handle criticism (thats why Nathan had quit)

Oh for--

Nathan left because he was sick of members like you. Members who contribute nothing but expect everything in return.

Quote:I quit because people like you treat us like orange. I don't have to put up with that. And it hurts me dearly because I love this project.

But please, continue to twist our words so you can get your own way.
At this point I don't see this thread going anywhere else constructive.

You suggested things, we declined to implement them for reasons that I'm sure many in the community agree on. If people choose to leave then so be it, but unfortunately we cannot please everyone.

Suggestions, even criticism is absolutely welcome. Development through PRs or discussion on issues is welcome. Personal attacks and baseless accusations though are not welcome. Feel free to contribute, feel free to help the project, but if you really don't agree with how MyBB operates, feel free to fork it.

/thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11