MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Update?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(2017-09-14, 01:01 PM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]New PRs must be tested before being merged into repo? [snip] Its against free contribution idea. Besides it doesnt make sense. If one writes code thats poor quality and sends PR, accept it.
Learn to accept the fact that everyone can contribute freely (=without any restriction as of code quality).

The software's development is being maintained by the Team - you can make contributions but there is no guarantee they will be accepted. We have an open community, but the Project is not in public domain.
The license allows forking the code and releasing independent distributions.

Quote:#21:if MyBB's code is not well organised, than make it well organised. Suspend releases till its fully rewritten. Plain simple.
That would make the 1.x series (and effectively MyBB) abandoned until 2.0 is completed; there is no intent of breaking support & maintenance continuity.
@up: you got second part of my answer in wrong way; I dont want to break support & maintanance continouity; I just voiced my opinion that you (=devs) planned it all in wrong way.

Out of curiosity - whats the sense of wasting time writing code and sending it as PR without having been given guarantee that it will be accepted?
(2017-09-14, 08:38 PM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]Out of curiosity - whats the sense of wasting time writing code and sending it as PR without having been given guarantee that it will be accepted?

That's like asking why record a song without any assurance that it will be a hit and make you a millionaire. :s

If you submit a PR that is of poor quality-- or doesn't address all of the problems, you will not be summarily dismissed and your PR deleted-- you will receive feedback from the other contributors and you may then add commits to your PR so that it passes the QC.

Are you suggesting that any pull request should be merged into the master branch!? That is ridiculous.

For my next PR I will delete the entire project. #rollingmyeyes
Being "fluent" in PHP has nothing to do with it. It's not about testing people merging a simple function that turns someone's name blue. Most changes and bug fixes are complex and revolve around data moving through a decade old codebase. Suggesting we just merge everything and effectively "deal with it" only further shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Good luck merging non working code to almost any major open source project. Go and fill the files of any major project with curse words and nothing else and see if they merge it. Go remove functions just because you feel like it and see if that makes the next release. It won't.

If we merged every PR right now and just release the next 1.8 patch MyBB wouldn't be a forum software. For all we know one of those PRs (or any subsequent PRs) could just make MyBB output a blank page. We NEED to test code before it is installed on thousands of forums and if you can't see that this is necessary then you are delusional.

Saying we should stop working on 2.0 until we "rewrite 1.8" is EXACTLY what 2.0 is. It's a rewrite, from the ground up, restructuring the code base and writing with modern frameworks and tools.
(2017-09-14, 10:04 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Saying we should stop working on 2.0 until we "rewrite 1.8" is EXACTLY what 2.0 is. It's a rewrite, from the ground up, restructuring the code base and writing with modern frameworks and tools.

Which goes along with version number standards as well.
(2017-09-14, 10:04 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Being "fluent" in PHP has nothing to do with it. It's not about testing people merging a simple function that turns someone's name blue. Most changes and bug fixes are complex and revolve around data moving through a decade old codebase. Suggesting we just merge everything and effectively "deal with it" only further shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Good luck merging non working code to almost any major open source project. Go and fill the files of any major project with curse words and nothing else and see if they merge it. Go remove functions just because you feel like it and see if that makes the next release. It won't.

If we merged every PR right now and just release the next 1.8 patch MyBB wouldn't be a forum software. For all we know one of those PRs (or any subsequent PRs) could just make MyBB output a blank page. We NEED to test code before it is installed on thousands of forums and if you can't see that this is necessary then you are delusional.

Saying we should stop working on 2.0 until we "rewrite 1.8" is EXACTLY what 2.0 is. It's a rewrite, from the ground up, restructuring the code base and writing with modern frameworks and tools.
I did not say there shouldnt be QA at all, I just said that this QA should be far less restrictive. 
As of tests :: no you don't need them; not in the current form. Instead, just create another php files with tests and add function that will fire them up at install start (or at any other phase; install phase'd be most relevant imho).....

As of frameworks :: Yii & Laravel are two the most bugged frameworks available.....
(2017-09-15, 04:03 AM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-15, 01:58 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-14, 10:04 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Saying we should stop working on 2.0 until we "rewrite 1.8" is EXACTLY what 2.0 is. It's a rewrite, from the ground up, restructuring the code base and writing with modern frameworks and tools.

How many more years till 2.0 is finished?
excellent question Smile
(2017-09-15, 07:13 AM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]As of frameworks :: Yii & Laravel are two the most bugged frameworks available.....

Laravel is also one of the most updated ones.
(2017-09-15, 07:20 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-15, 07:13 AM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]As of frameworks :: Yii & Laravel are two the most bugged frameworks available.....

yes I know, but, still, its buggy as hell
(2017-09-15, 07:44 AM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-15, 07:20 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]

yes I know, but, still, its buggy as hell

Updates !== Good Software

(2017-09-15, 07:13 AM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-14, 10:04 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Being "fluent" in PHP has nothing to do with it. It's not about testing people merging a simple function that turns someone's name blue. Most changes and bug fixes are complex and revolve around data moving through a decade old codebase. Suggesting we just merge everything and effectively "deal with it" only further shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Good luck merging non working code to almost any major open source project. Go and fill the files of any major project with curse words and nothing else and see if they merge it. Go remove functions just because you feel like it and see if that makes the next release. It won't.

I did not say there shouldnt be QA at all, I just said that this QA should be far less restrictive. 
As of tests :: no you don't need them; not in the current form. Instead, just create another php files with tests and add function that will fire them up at install start (or at any other phase; install phase'd be most relevant imho).....

As of frameworks :: Yii & Laravel are two the most bugged frameworks available.....
(2017-09-15, 04:03 AM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-15, 01:58 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]

How many more years till 2.0 is finished?
excellent question Smile

Certain things just don't need a lot of testing.
(2017-09-15, 07:13 AM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]As of tests :: no you don't need them; not in the current form. Instead, just create another php files with tests and add function that will fire them up at install start (or at any other phase; install phase'd be most relevant imho).....

So you're suggesting to perform unit tests? The 1.8 codebase is not suitable to perform them (if I recall correctly, Euan tried to set some up but didn't end successfully). And even if we could do unit tests (which will be easier with 2.0), many things would still need manual user interaction. Besides, the "install phase" is not the most relevant one; most bug fixes – if any – do not affect the installation process but common board functionalities.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11