MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Editor Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I ran something similar on my machine and it takes roughly 1 ms for the first parsing+rendering then about 100 µs for each subsequent parsing+rendering. If you're looking for sub-millisecond processing, the library is designed to separate parsing from rendering in order to persist a pre-parsed representation of the text to the database and only render it dynamically. It's a trade-off that makes it possible to render a text in a tenth of the time it would take to parse while being able to use dynamic templates.
I voted for Homebrew/Custom Editor.

The editor in 1.6 worked well, it was built for MyBB it just needed some updating. I think it would be nice to have it as a option since it has a much better history then the current one.

I also want to see what Euan T can come up with. Anything designed to by the MyBB Team should in theory work better with the software then a 3rd party software.
(2019-06-12, 08:16 PM)JoshyPHP Wrote: [ -> ]I ran something similar on my machine and it takes roughly 1 ms for the first parsing+rendering then about 100 µs for each subsequent parsing+rendering. If you're looking for sub-millisecond processing, the library is designed to separate parsing from rendering in order to persist a pre-parsed representation of the text to the database and only render it dynamically. It's a trade-off that makes it possible to render a text in a tenth of the time it would take to parse while being able to use dynamic templates.
How did you carry out these tests?

Do you have these benchmarks up somewhere like Github?

What datasets did you try it on? It might run "fast" on a short post, but choke on large ones.

What type of processor did you run it on?
I don't remember, I must have run the benchmark script from this dir.

My main point is that the first run of the parser will be much slower than the subsequent runs, due to loading files and initializing data structures.

As far as short vs large posts goes, the performance should scale more or less linearly with the amount of markup to parse/render.
I added modified Yui Editor (https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=554) to @Euan T’s Homebrew/Custom Editor.

I hope it gets a little clearer the proposal of the Homebrew/Custom Editor option.

https://martec.github.io/mybb_text_edito...index.html
Just an idea now this poll has been active for a bit, maybe you want to start a new one using the top 3 so others can provide a second preference and clarify which choice is preferred based on the type of editor on offer

We actually now have 3 distinct options for members to vote on

> Redactor - Paid, Maintained by 3rd Pary
> Homebrew/Custom Editor - Free, Maintained by MyBB Community
> TinyMCE - Free, Maintained by 3rd Pary
(2019-06-22, 05:54 AM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]I hope it gets a little clearer the proposal of the Homebrew/Custom Editor option.

https://martec.github.io/mybb_text_edito...index.html

Very good.
(2019-06-22, 11:34 AM)NotAdmin Wrote: [ -> ]Just an idea now this poll has been active for a bit, maybe you want to start a new one using the top 3 so others can provide a second preference and clarify which choice is preferred based on the type of editor on offer

We actually now have 3 distinct options for members to vote on

> Redactor - Paid, Maintained by 3rd Pary
> Homebrew/Custom Editor -  Free, Maintained by MyBB Community
> TinyMCE - Free, Maintained by 3rd Pary

I think the Homebrew option is still the best option. It's going to be designed from scratch to work with MyBB from the get go vs a 3rd party option being adapted to work with MyBB. The team will know the editor inside and out. The old editor used in 1.6 is a good example. It was custom made for MyBB, basic but worked well. Now I'm not saying go back to a basic editor but something like what martec posted seems to be a good option. It can also be expanded / improved based on demand. As for bugs it should be able to be fixed fast since it was built by them team.

With a 3rd party option the problem is you're at the mercy of them. If the project dies (like some of the editors listed in this thread) your stuck with having to look at different options or maintain code that wasn't produced the team. As for a commercial options if they decide to raise the prices for new versions you're stuck keeping an old version or coming up with the money to buy a new major version of an editor that will still need to be adapted to MyBB's needs.
Does no one else enjoy Summer note? I think it feels as close as Redactor. I'd love to see Redactor though.
IIRC, Summernote doesn't support BBCode out of the box. It has an unmerged PR to support markdown though...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11