MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Editor Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I'll further explain my vote.

(2019-06-03, 09:45 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Note that buying a Redactor license only applies to the current version (v3). When a new version is released, you must buy a new license to use it (another $1300). More info is available here: https://imperavi.com/redactor/license/

(2019-06-04, 05:15 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]P.S. Forget the 'Redactor v.3'. 
Sure it's a nice editor, but when was the last time that MyBB was able to raise $1,300? What if version 4 came out 6 months later? 
We will need to raise another $1,300. Fat chance of that happening.

If you own a Redactor license you get a 50% discount for the next major version, if we do want to update.
If version 4 comes out 6 months later, you still get v3 support for the other 6 months. "Support" however is insanely vague and I would not rely on Imperavi for it. 

Since you get access to the full source code and the license agreement states you may modify it, it may even work for MyBB as a base to start off with, regardless of what Imperavi does with Redactor afterwards.

Speaking of updates (I'm using this forum as example), we haven't been keeping up with (major) updates of the editor anyway. This forum is on SCEditor 1.5.2 (December 2016). The latest is 2.1.3 (May 2018).

(2019-06-04, 06:21 PM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]All those voting for Redactor speak out honestly how much you can contribute for that damn editor on a recurring basis?
Voting is free, that editor is not.

Put your money where your mouth is, I get you. I can personally contribute $100.
Regarding SCEditor versions, MyBB 1.8.21 bumps MyBB up to the current release (2.1.3).

I'd personally love to see somebody create a Redactor plugin for 1.8 (for their own personal use). That way, they could speak to how well it actually plays with MyBB and how much of a pain it was to do.

Saying that we're able to raise the funds is fine, but we'd need a donation platform to actually raise the funds, and we'd need somebody to actually make the purchase (somebody from the team). This would need some coordinating.

I'm going to do some further work on my example that I started knocking together during this week so it actually shows what my vision is/was. The advantage of the demo I was creating is that it uses the exact same parser for both the editor and the actual post parser - that way you can be 100% sure that what you see in the editor is what will be rendered on the page. Same goes for @devilshakerz's plugin. Other editors use their own parser which may have different results to the actual MyBB parser.
(2019-06-04, 07:51 AM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]It was only 9 years ago that we were able to raise $5000 for the mybb.com domain name. Chris himself paid close to half of that of his own money IIRC too.

9 years is a long time, especially in the context of the Internet. And, according to the blog entry, Chris was paid back. https://blog.mybb.com/2010/05/27/mybb-com-thanks-you/
I respect the efforts of those donating back then but expecting fundraisers to work as part of the project plan sounds like a recipe for disaster. I don't think that one of MyBB's important qualities (open source, free) should be tarnished by the requirement of donations for development to continue.

I've always been one to think that if the available solutions do not work then you should just build a new solution that does. However... considering MyBB's development timeline I would be wary about using a brand new editor.

This would be most interesting to see MyBB plugin implementations of some of these editors.
(2019-06-04, 09:23 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding SCEditor versions, MyBB 1.8.21 bumps MyBB up to the current release (2.1.3).

I'd personally love to see somebody create a Redactor plugin for 1.8 (for their own personal use). That way, they could speak to how well it actually plays with MyBB and how much of a pain it was to do.

(2019-06-04, 09:33 PM)xerotic Wrote: [ -> ]This would be most interesting to see MyBB plugin implementations of some of these editors.

I take back my SCEditor comment, good to hear! Smile

I fully agree with both of you, it'd be great to see plugins implementing these editors.
Quote:'ve to say that always is 1000% better to use own projects to keep it up to date, fix bugs and issues and more, if you use an external or 3rd party editor will always expect many problems to pull requests or addittions it is sometimes unusefull due all the non usable code in the source.

Agreed. And I liked the old editor in 1.6x. Unsure if that was custom or not though. All it needed imho was a plugin method to add buttons easily.

redactor has the most votes so far. Really not sure why. It's $1300 for every update. It also doesn't use JQuery which is a negative since MyBB already does use it.

Quote:WysiBB is dead (last update 5 years ago).

Didn't know that but that shouldn't rule it out if it fits the community needs.

Project is on Github and 2 years ago there was commits.

But maybe TinyMCE then.

Quote:What happens if they increase prices for future updates or change their license agreement in a way you don't like? Also what exactly can Redactor do what its open source competitors can't?

Exactly.

Quote:for me better is use bbcode editor like mybb 1.6...
bbocode editor is bug free.

Me too, go back to 1.6x version and update it a bit.
(2019-06-05, 06:05 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Me too, go back to 1.6x version and update it a bit.

best choice ever.
complicate for us fix issue of 3rd party editor.
if you see ckeditor has several bugs in bbcode plugin for years... but no one fix them.
same thing for tinymce.

other editor like redactor, this doesn't parse to bbcode. what xenforo do is send html code to server, to parse html to bbcode. so more risk. and this editor type only has WYSIWYG mode. Doesn't has bbcode editor mode like sceditor. In xenforo if you click in source mode only appear text area, no buttom.
My first preference for MyBB upgrade is TinyMCE
Second is QuillJS

I really like Redactor but pricing will kill for MyBB unless MyBB can make a deal with Redactor Smile
(2019-06-04, 09:23 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I'd personally love to see somebody create a Redactor plugin for 1.8 (for their own personal use). That way, they could speak to how well it actually plays with MyBB and how much of a pain it was to do.
FYI: Craft CMS uses Redactor: https://github.com/craftcms/redactor/tre...b/redactor
(2019-06-05, 06:05 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed. And I liked the old editor in 1.6x. Unsure if that was custom or not though. All it needed imho was a plugin method to add buttons easily.
It was custom but based on Prototype. However WYSIWYG was one of the most requested features so MyBB shouldn't go back to a basic editor.
(2019-06-05, 06:05 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]It also doesn't use JQuery which is a negative since MyBB already does use it.
Why is this negative? jQuery was great when you had to support older IE versions (not supporting features like querySelector) but today it's mostly a convenient wrapper.
(2019-06-05, 06:05 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]redactor has the most votes so far. Really not sure why.  It's $1300 for every update.  It also doesn't use JQuery which is a negative since MyBB already does use it.

People are likely voting based on the quality of the editor, not the viability.

Also, it's $1,300 for the initial purchase, minor version updates are free and major version upgrades are $700.

The project is 9 years old, and is at major version 3.x.x currently, so it seems they only do a major version bump every 3 - 4 years at most.

Not sure where everyone got this idea from that it's $1,300 annually or for each update - simply not true if you read the licence.
(2019-06-05, 07:52 AM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]People are likely voting based on the quality of the editor, not the viability.
I'm pretty sure most users voting here haven't done an in-depth comparison of all options. At least most posts here do not mention pros or cons of the actual editors.
(2019-06-05, 07:52 AM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]Also, it's $1,300 for the initial purchase, minor version updates are free and major version upgrades are $700.
Can you guarantee they won't increase the prices?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11