MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Editor Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(2019-06-05, 07:13 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]This applies to pretty much every WYSIWYG editor. However parsing a small subset of presumably valid HTML isn't too difficult with all those edge cases. TinyMCE does within less than 100 lines of code (needs to be modified for MyBB but that's rather simple).

sorry but please no...
use js to convert html to bbcode is worst choice....
several bug in sceditor, ckeditor (bbcode plugin) and tinymce (bbcode plugin) because of the this (js parser).
and need consider too custom mycode.

(2019-06-05, 04:00 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding allowing HTML in posts by default to support Redactor: that's definitely not going to happen. if we were going to use Redactor (I've already made my thoughts on that clear), we'd need either a JS plugin for it to use MyCode or write PHP back-end code to convert HTML into MyCode and back to HTML (to allow editing old posts). IMO that's a heck of a lot of work - our existing parser is buggy enough as is without adding more complexity like this.

sorry so It seems like I'm making some confusion then ...
I thought that to do "PHP back-end code to convert HTML into MyCode" need allow html....
anyway if will use PHP to convert... maybe can use https://github.com/s9e/TextFormatter ... this parser accept too Markdown.

(2019-06-05, 06:48 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I've not looked at the code since 1.6, but normally converting things from Prototype to jQuery isn't too difficult - both libraries offer much the same features.

That would be great. A fresh look at it and with keeping in mind comparing the work to revert vs convert to a new editor. If it's about the same I think we should just revert. That's my opinion. We had full control when it was 1.6x and it worked very well. Going forward we wouldn't have to worry about relying on a 3rd party to make updates or fix bugs. You also get the added benefit of MyBB 3rd party developers improving it further and reporting bugs. Just makes more sense to me.

yes i think same thing...
We're already planning on using TextFormatter, we've been planning that for a while. It's what we use for the 2.0 parser too.
(2019-06-05, 07:55 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]We're already planning on using TextFormatter, we've been planning that for a while. It's what we use for the 2.0 parser too.

what i know that s9e/TextFormatter accept too html...
but i don't know if this convert to html to bbcode... I hope so...
so it should make our life a lot easier to integrate these editors ...

anyway for me 1.6 editor with preview (DVZ MinimalEditor or Homebrew/Custom Editor) still the best option for me
I voted TinyMCE because it is the best free option IMO. I'm surprised by the current results seeing myBB is a free software

However, Redactor is pretty darn awesome, and if it was to be picked I would contribute to the costs of doing so. I note that you get 50% off any future major update, and v3 only came out last year, so would imagine it would be some time before they implement a new update.

They are on their 3rd version since 2009, so a new version every 3 years, so I guess 2 years left. When there is a new version, there is no saying there would be any need to update straight away, so you could have a good 5 years before that next update is required
(2019-06-05, 08:01 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 07:55 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]We're already planning on using TextFormatter, we've been planning that for a while. It's what we use for the 2.0 parser too.

anyway for me 1.6 editor with preview (DVZ MinimalEditor or Homebrew/Custom Editor) still the best option for me

Note also that s9e/TextFormatter also has a JS version.

My HomeBrew editor that I started working on makes use of this fact to use the same parser for the JS editor as well as the backend PHP code. This means that the JS preview shows exactly what the main parser will generate. it also means that all custom myCodes, media, etc. are supported in the preview.

I'm trying to work on my sample editor this week to hopefully give a better preview of exactly what this means and how cool I think it would be.
(2019-06-05, 09:17 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 08:01 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 07:55 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]We're already planning on using TextFormatter, we've been planning that for a while. It's what we use for the 2.0 parser too.

Note also that s9e/TextFormatter also has a JS version.

My HomeBrew editor that I started working on makes use of this fact to use the same parser for the JS editor as well as the backend PHP code. This means that the JS preview shows exactly what the main parser will generate. it also means that all custom myCodes, media, etc. are supported in the preview.

I'm trying to work on my sample editor this week to hopefully give a better preview of exactly what this means and how cool I think it would be.

this is very good. really this is best option ever.
I need to check out HomeBrew. It sounds like exactly what we need.
Quote:Also 1.9 gonna support markdown alongwith bbcode iirc.

Please tell me that's not true. Please do not create Markdown support.

1. I don't think it's very popular outside tech areas.
2. It can easily create huge bugs with existing threads.
3. I think it will create big problems.
4. Do we really need it?

You guys are crazy. Sometimes I just wonder where your heads are at.
(2019-06-06, 04:05 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]You guys are crazy. Sometimes I just wonder where your heads are at.

I take it as a complement. The craze you mentioned perhaps helped making MyBB a reality.
I just checked, at least my head is still just above my shoulder Toungue

The markdown support will be a parallel module and can be easily disabled for those who don't want it at all.
markdown is a relatively fast markup to place. Those who use bbcodes already they find markdown easier to write.
(2019-06-06, 04:05 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Also 1.9 gonna support markdown alongwith bbcode iirc.

Please tell me that's not true.  Please do not create Markdown support.

1. I don't think it's very popular outside tech areas.
2. It can easily create huge bugs with existing threads.
3. I think it will create big problems.
4. Do we really need it?

You guys are crazy.  Sometimes I just wonder where your heads are at.
Reddit, steamgifts forum, raddle, flarum, etc. uses markdown. It is very popular nowadays and bbcodes are getting old.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11