MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Editor Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(2019-06-05, 02:25 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 02:24 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 02:22 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]Summernote and Froala have been added to the poll for further consideration.

I already voted, but I would like to change my vote if that is possible since there are 2 additional options added.

You should be able to undo your vote and then choose one of the other options if you wish.

Now, I see it... I totally missed that little option at the top... sighs.

[Image: 76fd379c3d75c93cd8fccb223015e8f9.png]
(2019-06-05, 02:30 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 02:25 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 02:24 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 02:22 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]Summernote and Froala have been added to the poll for further consideration.

I already voted, but I would like to change my vote if that is possible since there are 2 additional options added.

You should be able to undo your vote and then choose one of the other options if you wish.

Now, I see it... I totally missed that little option at the top... sighs.

[Image: 76fd379c3d75c93cd8fccb223015e8f9.png]

Yeah, the UI on polls is kinda nasty...

Regarding allowing HTML in posts by default to support Redactor: that's definitely not going to happen. if we were going to use Redactor (I've already made my thoughts on that clear), we'd need either a JS plugin for it to use MyCode or write PHP back-end code to convert HTML into MyCode and back to HTML (to allow editing old posts). IMO that's a heck of a lot of work - our existing parser is buggy enough as is without adding more complexity like this.
We can create our own very fast based on markitup engine.
I proposed that years back I am still with that.
Please guys have a look.

Also 1.9 gonna support markdown alongwith bbcode iirc. This engine can really come handy.
http://markitup.jaysalvat.com/documentation/
(2019-06-05, 04:59 PM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]We can create our own very fast based on markitup engine.
I proposed that years back I am still with that.
Please guys have a look.

Also 1.9 gonna support markdown alongwith bbcode iirc. This engine can really come handy.

Kudos for markdown. Creating custom made engine sounds hot.

Just make it easy to include buttons and it's good to go.
Quote:Or may need to write our own frontend parser.
We are paying for something which looks fancy, not complies our full requirement. And to make it comply our need we code huge. Thats gonna be fun.

Even more reason to revert to 1.6x editor. Was it custom for MyBB or an existing project btw? The old editor wasn't robust but it worked very well. I think the team converted to SCEditor because they believed using a project would save them time, but now they see it doesn't.

Can someone on the team explain the pitfalls of reverting to the 1.6 editor? It should already be compatible. Just update it, set it up with a hook/plugin system for custom buttons, and it's ready to replace SCrapEditor.

I altered my vote for Custom Homebrew.
(2019-06-05, 05:11 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
We are paying for something which looks fancy, not complies our full requirement. And to make it comply our need we code huge. Thats gonna be fun.

Even more reason to revert to 1.6x editor.  Was it custom for MyBB or an existing project btw?  The old editor wasn't robust but it worked very well.  I think the team converted to SCEditor because they believed using a project would save them time, but now they see it doesn't.  

Can someone on the team explain the pitfalls of reverting to the 1.6 editor?  It should already be compatible.  Just update it, set it up with a hook/plugin system for custom buttons, and it's ready to replace SCrapEditor.

The 1.6 editor would need recreating from the ground up - it relied on prototype.js, which we completely removed in the upgrade to 1.8.
(2019-06-05, 05:22 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]

Even more reason to revert to 1.6x editor.  Was it custom for MyBB or an existing project btw?  The old editor wasn't robust but it worked very well.  I think the team converted to SCEditor because they believed using a project would save them time, but now they see it doesn't.  

Can someone on the team explain the pitfalls of reverting to the 1.6 editor?  It should already be compatible.  Just update it, set it up with a hook/plugin system for custom buttons, and it's ready to replace SCrapEditor.

The 1.6 editor would need recreating from the ground up - it relied on prototype.js, which we completely removed in the upgrade to 1.8.

Ahh...so that's why it was dropped. What's your assessment on the difficulty of updating it for jQuery?
(2019-06-05, 05:44 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 05:22 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]

Ahh...so that's why it was dropped.  What's your assessment on the difficulty of updating it for jQuery?

I've not looked at the code since 1.6, but normally converting things from Prototype to jQuery isn't too difficult - both libraries offer much the same features.
Quote:I've not looked at the code since 1.6, but normally converting things from Prototype to jQuery isn't too difficult - both libraries offer much the same features.

That would be great. A fresh look at it and with keeping in mind comparing the work to revert vs convert to a new editor. If it's about the same I think we should just revert. That's my opinion. We had full control when it was 1.6x and it worked very well. Going forward we wouldn't have to worry about relying on a 3rd party to make updates or fix bugs. You also get the added benefit of MyBB 3rd party developers improving it further and reporting bugs. Just makes more sense to me.
(2019-06-05, 04:00 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]if we were going to use Redactor (I've already made my thoughts on that clear), we'd need either a JS plugin for it to use MyCode or write PHP back-end code to convert HTML into MyCode and back to HTML (to allow editing old posts). IMO that's a heck of a lot of work - our existing parser is buggy enough as is without adding more complexity like this.
This applies to pretty much every WYSIWYG editor. However parsing a small subset of presumably valid HTML isn't too difficult with all those edge cases. TinyMCE does within less than 100 lines of code (needs to be modified for MyBB but that's rather simple).
(2019-06-05, 04:59 PM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Also 1.9 gonna support markdown alongwith bbcode iirc. This engine can really come handy.
Markitup is also pretty much dead. 1.x has had only a few commits within the last years, 2.0 is abandoned since 2012 and 3.0 seems to make no progress since 2016.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11