MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Editor Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(2019-06-05, 08:25 AM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty sure most users voting here haven't done an in-depth comparison of all options. At least most posts here do not mention pros or cons of the actual editors.

Can you guarantee they won't increase the prices?

Redactor used to cost $1,500 for an OEM licence, not sure what prompted them to lower it to $1,300.

I don't work for Imperavi so of course I can't guarantee it isn't going to fluctuate upwards - but in the same way you can not guarantee the price of any software component of which you don't have control. We could turn around tomorrow and start charging $100 per copy of MyBB. We obviously aren't going to but it's ultimately a factor only we can decide. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://theadminzone.com/threads/do-you-...op.139036/

^ An interesting thread over at TAZ, seems that once XenForo started purchasing it that's when the cost went up.
As a small forum owner, I signed up here especially to vote. I evaluated the options and chose Redactor after the struggles we had adapting sceditor to our needs sadly.
One question....

if decide to use Redactor....
mybb 1.9 will allow by default html in post?

redactor in xenforo use php parser to convert html to bbcode and vice versa.
Or may need to write our own frontend parser.
We are paying for something which looks fancy, not complies our full requirement. And to make it comply our need we code huge. Thats gonna be fun.
(2019-06-05, 11:06 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Or may need to write our own frontend parser.

better no... major type of bug of wysiwyg editor (sceditor, ckeditor, tinymce) because of bug in javascript parser.
create html to bbcode parser in javascript is very pain. and what exists on the internet is quite buggy.

of course use php parser to convert html to bbcode and vice versa, will result in something more consistent (can use s9e\TextFormatter or something like), but allow html in post not recommended in security point.

(2019-06-05, 11:06 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]We are paying for something which looks fancy, not complies our full requirement. And to make it comply our need we code huge. Thats gonna be fun.

exactly. no one know if the redactor will work correctly in mybb 1.9. this is dependent on the parser that mybb will use in mybb 1.9
(2019-06-05, 08:34 AM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]https://theadminzone.com/threads/do-you-...op.139036/

^ An interesting thread over at TAZ, seems that once XenForo started purchasing it that's when the cost went up.

I read post #6 with interest. Seems that person is suggesting Redactor alternatives.

Summernote is FREE and open source. - This one needs a serious consideration. (hint, hint)

Froala is a nice looking editor, but the pricing is not much different from Redactor.  

(2019-06-05, 11:06 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Or may need to write our own frontend parser.
We are paying for something which looks fancy, not complies our full requirement. And to make it comply our need we code huge. Thats gonna be fun.

The MyBB Development team needs to consider (if not already) the cost of investing in a paid editor software that will work with MyBB.
  • The ROI (Return On Investment) if MyBB would purchase a licensed editor software.
  • What are the benefits of obtaining PAID over OPEN SOURCE software? (feature-wise)
  • What are the benefits of obtaining OPEN SOURCE over PAID software? (feature-wise)
  • Will a paid licensed editor benefit MyBB in terms of increased usage of the forum software? (Can this be accurately measured? Pre-licensed editor in MyBB versus Post-licensed editor in MyBB)
  • If a paid license editor is chosen, how fast and accurately can the editor developers fix any issues that may arise?
  • Will the paid licensed editor provide a better user overall experience while that user is on the website?
  • If a paid editor license is chosen. How will the MyBB Development team determine whose name the editor license will fall under?
  • What if that designated person decides to leave the MyBB Development team? Is the editor license transferrable to the "new person in charge"?
  • Is getting a new editor a high priority over all other major components of the MyBB forum software? Are there any major components that should be addressed FIRST before getting a new editor?
Redactor works nice but the price is silly for new updates. TinyMCE seems more ideal instead of wasting more time developing one or forking out ridiculous prices for updates.

Edit: TinyMCE or Froala editor if it is a one off payment.
Summernote and Froala have been added to the poll for further consideration.
(2019-06-05, 02:22 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]Summernote and Froala have been added to the poll for further consideration.

I already voted, but I would like to change my vote if that is possible since there are 2 additional options added.
(2019-06-05, 02:24 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 02:22 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]Summernote and Froala have been added to the poll for further consideration.

I already voted, but I would like to change my vote if that is possible since there are 2 additional options added.

You should be able to undo your vote and then choose one of the other options if you wish.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11