MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Editor Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(2019-06-04, 06:31 AM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]I'd chose TinyMCE. It's well known, extensible and receives updates regularly.

WysiBB is dead (last update 5 years ago).

Redactor is too expensive.

I'd strongly suggest not developing your own editor. Development is already slow and writing and maintaining an editor takes countless hours. There is probably a reason XenForo and Woltlab both use Redactor and not a custom solution.

Xenforo requires a $140 yearly renewal fee.

Therefore, it's easy for Xenforo to raise $1,300 for the Redactor and include it in their Xenforo versions.

I don't know anything about Woltlab, so I declined to comment on that one.
(2019-06-04, 05:15 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]P.S. Forget the 'Redactor v.3'. 
Sure it's a nice editor, but when was the last time that MyBB was able to raise $1,300? What if version 4 came out 6 months later? 
We will need to raise another $1,300. Fat chance of that happening.

It was only 9 years ago that we were able to raise $5000 for the mybb.com domain name. Chris himself paid close to half of that of his own money IIRC too.
Quill or Tiny
My opinion is biased as I was the one who proposed it, but I'm in for QuillJS. Despite a pretty flat learning curve, I believe it will solve the editor dilemma once and for all thanks to its consistency. Building a custom editor is way too time-consuming for the current team, I agree with @StefanT. A hybrid solution, GitHub-style, would serve as a valuable alternative packed into a plugin (which is already available).

The only drawback I see in Quill is learning how to handle its unique datasets, which as I already pointed out, might take a while.
(2019-06-04, 06:42 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Xenforo requires a $140 yearly renewal fee.

Therefore, it's easy for Xenforo to raise $1,300 for the Redactor and include it in their Xenforo versions.

I don't know anything about Woltlab, so I declined to comment on that one.
Your answer doesn't make any sense. Of course commercial products can afford Redactor but that wasn't my point at all.
(2019-06-04, 07:51 AM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]It was only 9 years ago that we were able to raise $5000 for the mybb.com domain name. Chris himself paid close to half of that of his own money IIRC too.
MyBB and forums in general were more popular back then.
What happens if they increase prices for future updates or change their license agreement in a way you don't like? Also what exactly can Redactor do what its open source competitors can't?
(2019-06-04, 08:51 AM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]My opinion is biased as I was the one who proposed it, but I'm in for QuillJS.
I have not experience with it. But judging from its Github repo the activity is rather low and the upcoming 2.x version is not ready yet.
for me better is use bbcode editor like mybb 1.6...
bbocode editor is bug free.
so using bbcode editor + DVZ MinimalEditor (preview) for me best choice.
I voted Redactor. I know this is expensive, but this is so user friendly and useful.
(2019-06-04, 06:31 AM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]I'd strongly suggest not developing your own editor. Development is already slow and writing and maintaining an editor takes countless hours. There is probably a reason XenForo and Woltlab both use Redactor and not a custom solution.

Although I voted for Redactor, and you are mostly against it, you raise a good point in that other major softwares foresaw the headache of rolling their own editors. Even XenForo with their finances chose to stick to what they know and purchase a product that 'just works'.

I agree the price might be steep, and that may ultimately be the prohibitive factor in the decision - but I think there is a lot we can learn from other software platforms and the continuity decisions they make. Personally, I don't feel that $1,300 is that much money, and I'd even be willing to contribute at least 1/4th of that myself if we chose to go with that editor (I have no stake in Redactor for those wondering, I just feel like it is the 'best' product from the list provided).

Believe me, I surprised even myself as a hardcore supporter of software freedom and FOSS practices in general, that I found myself leaning towards Redactor at all. As someone who has been using Linux on the desktop for close to 10 years now it was certainly a strange situation to find myself in, becoming an advocate of a proprietary product - but I found myself thinking more and more about the experience given to the end users of MyBB. People did not like SCEditor, at all. It was a bad call IMO in the transition between 1.6 and 1.8. I think our users most of all deserve a premium experience which is up to the same standard as is offered by our competitors.
I originally voted for Devilshakerz's editor as I liked the simplicity, but after having some time to play with all of the demos I'd probably have chosen Redactor on retrospect.
All those voting for Redactor speak out honestly how much you can contribute for that damn editor on a recurring basis?
Voting is free, that editor is not.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11