MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: (Petition) Distinction between "Premium" and "Free" Plugin & Themes Thread Releases
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I understand that

Labrocca
Pirata Nervo
ghazal
Zash

And a few others developers submit their design\code to public with a different license (subscribers only) than people who share their work in http://mods.mybboard.net/mods and http://mods.mybboard.net/themes ...

I can´t said for sure, but as far as I know only mybbcentral donates regularly to mybb group. And if you search to "mybbcentral" in "Plugin Request" Forum you´ll get 7 pages of results. So their plugins are posted twice: in "Plugin Releases" and "Request" forum... it´s well known mybbcentral it´s the best unnoficial mybb plugin repository today, so there´s nothing wrong with that.

So could you please create a distinction between threads in Plugins & Themes Releases in the Rules of those 2 Forums - using [Premium] tag in Thread Title would be fine - or just add a Sub-Forum to promote them apart?

http://community.mybboard.net/forum-102.html
http://community.mybboard.net/forum-104.html

Thanks
I agree, it's getting a bit out of hand (and something I predicted a long time ago).

(2009-05-21, 11:47 AM)aglioeolio Wrote: [ -> ]I can´t said for sure, but as far as I know only mybbcentral donates regularly to mybb group.
I wouldn't make an exception. I mean, should I hike my prices up by 20% so I can claim that 20% is being donated to MyBB? It's not a hard thing for everyone else to do really.
I agree even though I rarely venture into that forum anymore. And, the only plugins I would pay for are labroccas and I already have a subscription on his site but it will help others.

It will also save the authors from telling people 10 times it's a paid plugin Toungue.
(2009-05-22, 01:27 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't make an exception. I mean, should I hike my prices up by 20% so I can claim that 20% is being donated to MyBB? It's not a hard thing for everyone else to do really.

I don't understand your theory of someone "hiking" up prices, when it's of no advantage to them....And at least someone is doing it (donating) rather than others not! Just imagine if Labrocca saw your post and decided "what the heck, why should I donate at all". I wonder how impressed the management would be, with your above statement!
(2009-05-22, 01:53 AM)lufbra Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-05-22, 01:27 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't make an exception. I mean, should I hike my prices up by 20% so I can claim that 20% is being donated to MyBB? It's not a hard thing for everyone else to do really.

I don't understand your theory of someone "hiking" up prices, when it's of no advantage to them....And at least someone is doing it (donating) rather than others not! Just imagine if Labrocca saw your post and decided "what the heck, why should I donate at all". I wonder how impressed the management would be, with your above statement!
Quite simple really - imagine I have two choices:
- charge $4
- charge $5 and donate $1
I still get $4, but in the latter example, I "control" an extra $1, as well as have the ability to state that I'm being a good person by donating.
If he wants to stop this just because I said this, then that's his issue, not mine.

BTW, I'm not saying this is good or bad - it's a personal choice and you're free to pick what you want to do. I'm just saying that, just because a certain choice was made, one shouldn't be an exception to a general rule.
fyi Mybb Central has donated over $500 to Mybb project. I donate every first week of every month. My guess is that it's paying about 20-25% of server costs. I hope more authors follow my lead. I am doubtful people donate of their own free will very often.

As for tagging releases....I don't have a problem with that. As a matter of fact it might be best to have a Premium subforums for plugin releases if so many authors are going to want to charge. Up till about 3 months ago I believe I was the only guy doing it.

Quote:So their plugins are posted twice: in "Plugin Releases" and "Request" forum

I don't typically repeat my threads. On a rare occassion I will start one in development but I am no longer going to do that. As a matter of fact I might not keep posting my releases here much more at all.

But let's just say I am in favor of the transparency and making it easier for people to recognize a paid plugin. It's not a benefit when people come to Mybb Central then complain downloads are for subscribers. Even though I have notices all over the place some people still get upset.
I don't like this petition.

I think a premium tag would be very misleading. Just because you have to pay for a plugin doesn't mean it's any good. Premium somehow implies that it is. It's a marketing term, sitting there screaming "buy me". It would only serve to further promote proprietary plugins, which I think is unfair for authors who make their stuff available for everyone under an Open Source license like MyBB.

If you introduce tags, I'd prefer them to be [Proprietary] for plugins with restrictive licenses, and [FOSS] for free open source software / GPL plugins. Or simpler, a tag / thread icon that shows wether a plugin is available on mods.mybboard.net - although that one also includes many proprietary ones, at least you can download them for free. Plugins that you can only get when you subscribe / pay for them, should be dead last.

I'm all for promoting plugins than anyone can get (preferably FOSS), rather than plugins that ask for money first. The ones who make money can take care of their own promotion...
Yeah maybe not premium plugins, maybe Commercial addons would be more appopriate.
Or simply "Free" vs. "Paid".

Rather than getting into abbreviations that need explaining and 'big words' that some may not understand. Smile
lol, that could work to Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7