MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Public Plugin Fund
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
How will you divide the money?

Will a more intense plugin earn more or wIll everyone make the same? Who will control the money to the pool of coders? Will tax forms need to be filled out from each plugin author from the US or UK?

I ask about taxes as I'm reporting earnings from my advertising on my forum and not just under a $1000.00 USD a year either, well over that now. So by law it has to be reported. I'm not saying anyone is following US law here either and there is other ways to get around a US or UK resident holding the money.

Just a few extra thoughts. I'm not sure how this would work.

Regards
It says in the OP that the group would vote on how much would be allocated. And I sincerely doubt filling out any tax forms would be necessary.
imho money would be best spent on Mybb at Sitepoint having a template design contest

We have plugin authors and some stuff under development. While it's nothing amazing it's still progress. I think MyBB lacks professional themes more than it does plugins at this point.

I would donate $25 toward a theme project.
Could some give specific examples of plugins we don't currently have? IMO, there are so many already, it is hard to keep up with bugs, updates, etc.
(2009-08-02, 02:16 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]ok jerks, i'll just give my money to tomm then

Jerks? Just cause no one is jumping at your idea they're jerks?
(2009-08-02, 03:32 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]imho money would be best spent on Mybb at Sitepoint having a template design contest

We have plugin authors and some stuff under development. While it's nothing amazing it's still progress. I think MyBB lacks professional themes more than it does plugins at this point.

I would donate $25 toward a theme project.

A collaboration in all designers that would like to join in or just one designer?
(2009-08-02, 03:51 AM)theone759 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-08-02, 02:16 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]ok jerks, i'll just give my money to tomm then

Jerks? Just cause no one is jumping at your idea they're jerks?

Do you take every post on message boards this seriously? Wink I was obviously kidding.

Quote:Could some give specific examples of plugins we don't currently have? IMO, there are so many already, it is hard to keep up with bugs, updates, etc.

A decent CMS or CMS bridge seems to be the crucial one missing at this point.
Also, an OpenID plugin would be nice.
A bridge imho isn't the answer. It's better to have something that works off MyBB system. Someone just needs to build it. Custom Pages by Nickman exists and whether you like it or not it's still a functional page creation system.

Bridging with a CMS is going to be very tough. Drupal isn't addon friendly imho and would just cause confusion. Other projects just aren't written as well as MyBB. Wordpress is a maybe but I believe a similar functioning CMS could be written as a plugin. Wordpress is great but a forum is not a blog.

So Brad...what features are expecting from a CMS?
Well, I don't have a proposal or concept or anything like that ready, but off the top of my head:
  • Obviously, the whole thing uses MyBB templates and is essentially a seamless part of the MyBB site.
  • News system with tags and categories. Comments on news would use the same message system as MyBB core.
  • Ability to create content pages that have their own categories -- sort of how Drupal differentiates between pages and stories. Essentially, there needs to be concrete structure to the way pages are organized.
  • Home page portal with stories from different categories, events, etc. Just check out something like this, built with Drupal: http://www.cigionline.org/

Custom Pages is OK for some basic pages, but the lack of categories and hierarchal structure is a big issue for me. Tomm M's MyWiki project sounds like something that would totally work for me (considering a Wiki is a huge part of my site already), but I have no clue of the progress on that or if it's even a live project still. And that guy has enough on his plate right now. Smile

I'll be the first to admit that my understanding of software such as CMS' isn't the strongest; however, I am simply feeling really limited by the options available right now. There's really no option to build non-forum-based content around MyBB at this time.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8