MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Public Plugin Fund
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(2009-08-06, 06:06 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I can foresee so many support issues that I really can't be bothered myself >_> I guess I also don't have any motivation either as well.

A sad reality for a lot of good authors. The trouble is attracting them to come help. I guess that's why Brad wants to start a fund. Money talks as they say.

Indeed, it's sad but people will just not read. You do get the same questions a hundred times and people will become angry if you don't reply.
I'm spending one to two hours every day on customer support - and I can't really charge for that.
Mainreason for commercial products in my opinion.
I feel sorry for you guys a lot of times. But, it happens with everything. People just expect it to be handed to them.Rolleyes
Quote:I'm spending one to two hours every day on customer support - and I can't really charge for that.

That's why I have my subscription...it builds the cost of support into my site. If I allowed everyone to DL for free I wouldn't have time for anything.

Quote:You could just say "I will offer no support for this." its better than not releasing it at all. But facts are you probably don't know everything you changed (often happens to me) and a release would mean a lot of backtracking and checking that you got everything.

Yes you could say that but will you? It's almost irresponsible to release something and then not support it imho. Security bugs could exist and without official support people will just bother others. I get a TON of requests for support on Game Section because the support at the official site is so bad. It's tough to release and then not support for the entire community.
(2009-08-06, 12:57 PM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-08-06, 06:06 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I can foresee so many support issues that I really can't be bothered myself >_> I guess I also don't have any motivation either as well.

A sad reality for a lot of good authors. The trouble is attracting them to come help. I guess that's why Brad wants to start a fund. Money talks as they say.

Indeed, it's sad but people will just not read. You do get the same questions a hundred times and people will become angry if you don't reply.
I'm spending one to two hours every day on customer support - and I can't really charge for that.
Mainreason for commercial products in my opinion.
I know what you mean no matter how many times you tell people to search it doesn't happen I help out on vbgore and am working on making a .net version and there are a million questions asked every day that are in the wiki and were asked before. It gets really annoying. If you have a big community its not a problem but mybb doesn't seem to have a big community. The worst case I've seen of people asking questions was for xfire they get about 100 questions a day saying something or another doesn't work with their program and its always the same responses that fix the issue. One thing I've seen on a forum somewhere before though was an auto search feature that when you type the title for your thread it shows up right under it "suggested topics" and that seemed to stop the repeated questions for the most part.
(2009-08-06, 11:21 AM)Existance0 Wrote: [ -> ]You could just say "I will offer no support for this." its better than not releasing it at all.
Works if there's community support. There doesn't seem to be enough community support here unfortunately, after all, this is mostly a MyBB support forum, not a plugin support forum (has changed a little more recently with the forum rearrangement). I don't really do these things for money actually, it's more for interest.
I also have other reasons, but I won't mention these.
The community is pretty big. It's just not a lot of return the help they receive. I mean if you go through the support forums you'll see the same people answering questions.

I don't really help with plugins as well I never have the problem these people seem to run into. I don't know what it is but seems people have really weird server set ups or something.Rolleyes
I'm not one to Bump but, I think this should stay on the first page. Even though Brad maybe leaving us Sad.
I'd be willing to pitch in to the idea Toungue
(2009-08-07, 03:24 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really help with plugins as well I never have the problem these people seem to run into. I don't know what it is but seems people have really weird server set ups or something.Rolleyes
I've sometimes spent hours tracing through code trying to diagnose a problem people are having, only to figure out later that they haven't uploaded the thing properly.
I'd be a strong backer, if features like facebook connect came about from it + other integrations.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8