MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Who ate my posts?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Ah, it's happening to me, but reversed. I see 3 more posts.

I'll tell you what. I'm 90% sure it appears to happen exclusively in threads where auto-merge happened:

"Post Merge Time
With this enabled, posts posted within x minutes by the same author right after each other, will be merged."
(2012-06-17, 01:51 PM)Sector Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, it's happening to me, but reversed. I see 3 more posts.

I'll tell you what. I'm 90% sure it appears to happen exclusively in threads where auto-merge happened:

"Post Merge Time
With this enabled, posts posted within x minutes by the same author right after each other, will be merged."

The post merge happens and returns before the thread counters are updated, so it is not related to the merge
Well, it's just an empirical assessment. As of now, this thread appears as having 389 posts here: http://community.mybb.com/forum-102.html but in fact it has 392 posts.

As for the dilemma, while Saeed has cause when he complains about MyBB tech team being much indifferent to this, he loses a bit of credit by making his users hostage to his quest.
(2012-06-17, 03:15 PM)Sector Wrote: [ -> ]As for the dilemma, while Saeed has cause when he complains about MyBB tech team being much indifferent to this, he loses a bit of credit by making his users hostage to his quest.

Hostage?! like I'm kidnapping MyBB users?
The whole idea is to fix a problem that interrupts my support.

After Rayan left the team, MyBB is getting worse everyday (maybe that's just a coincidence!). But anyway, honestly I don't think it would end up very well. So... I'm not dying to sacrifice my precious time and energy for an abandoned piece of code! If they don't really care about their users, it'd be insane for me to bother to maintain them! Instead, I'll help them switch to something else. Hopefully there are a variety of options out there! Currently I'm super busy; otherwise I wouldn't let it go this far! ;‌)
(2012-08-14, 12:00 AM)SaeedGh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-06-17, 03:15 PM)Sector Wrote: [ -> ]As for the dilemma, while Saeed has cause when he complains about MyBB tech team being much indifferent to this, he loses a bit of credit by making his users hostage to his quest.

Hostage?! like I'm kidnapping MyBB users?
The whole idea is to fix a problem that interrupts my support.

I understand your frustration, and would understand if you refused to develop any new plugins, but you could still at least keep helping users who like and are currently using your past plugins that need updates. Why making us "pay" for this fallout? A significant part of MyBB staff doesn't seem to care much.

(2012-08-14, 12:00 AM)SaeedGh Wrote: [ -> ]After Rayan left the team, MyBB is getting worse everyday (maybe that's just a coincidence!). But anyway, honestly I don't think it would end up very well. So... I'm not dying to sacrifice my precious time and energy for an abandoned piece of code! If they don't really care about their users, it'd be insane for me to bother to maintain them!

Know the feel. I was really keen learning stuff to make new things and help others and I had some really not so nice feedback, like one guy in his thirties needs to beg for hobby stuff.
Maybe checking the logs would help to find the issues?
I don't know if you log anything,but if you do, e.g. logs of what happened with thread/post , should help you fix the issue.
(2012-08-14, 12:00 AM)SaeedGh Wrote: [ -> ]So... I'm not dying to sacrifice my precious time and energy for an abandoned piece of code! If they don't really care about their users, it'd be insane for me to bother to maintain them!

This is absolutely ridiculous. Not fixing one very hard bug to track does not equate to MyBB being abandonware. If it did, MyBB's continued existence would be a paradox, as it'd be the most frequently-updated piece of abandonware on the Internet.
It is probably not even a bug:
(2012-06-07, 03:56 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]Rebuilding the thread counters may fix this...
(2012-12-16, 08:57 PM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]This is absolutely ridiculous. Not fixing one very hard bug to track does not equate to MyBB being abandonware. If it did, MyBB's continued existence would be a paradox, as it'd be the most frequently-updated piece of abandonware on the Internet.

Well, I think you're in denial!
But I hope I'm wrong and the situation is just like what you described. :‌)

(2012-12-16, 09:16 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]It is probably not even a bug:
(2012-06-07, 03:56 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]Rebuilding the thread counters may fix this...

That sounds like a great news!
So please someone rebuild the threads whenever people post something!! :‌)
(2012-12-16, 09:45 PM)SaeedGh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-16, 08:57 PM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]This is absolutely ridiculous. Not fixing one very hard bug to track does not equate to MyBB being abandonware. If it did, MyBB's continued existence would be a paradox, as it'd be the most frequently-updated piece of abandonware on the Internet.

Well, I think you're in denial!
But I hope I'm wrong and the situation is just like what you described. :‌)

"Abandonware is a product for which no product support is available and the manufacturer is ignoring the product. It is differentiated from a discontinued product because the manufacturer has not issued an official notice of discontinuance, instead, the manufacturer is simply ignoring the product. Copyright ownership may be unclear because while the manufacturer is ignoring the product it may not be tracking or enforcing copyright violations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

Since MyBB fits none of these (still in development, frequent updates from developers, clear indication of copyright, no notice of discontinuance because it has not been discontinued), it isn't abandonware. Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9