MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Who ate my posts?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Thank you so much for taking your time Lee.

I know that you guys got it but let me just add something for those who haven't followed this thread. At the moment we have 7 posts on the last page of that thread (page 41). The annoying problem shows up when we add 4 more posts. So theoretically the last post will be shown in a new page (42) but in practice it happened a lot that I couldn't see the last post! It's been reported by other users too.

(2011-08-05, 08:15 PM)Maechlis Wrote: [ -> ]Note that if we switch to the threaded mode, the "invisible" posts can be seen.

In the named thread, I can not see each first post on each new page until a subsequent post has been made. I recall I have seen the bug with the first post on a page already reported somewhere around the forum.

UPD: not only the first post is invisible, but the second too. When the third post is made, the two previous also become visible.
Ok, I have made the request that the recount/rebuild tool is run. Lets see if that fixes the issue., though of course it does not help with the cause.

Once that is done, it might be an idea to monitor that thread Saeed and let us know if you see it again.
Thank you. I'll do that.
(2012-12-17, 10:57 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-17, 10:27 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]However, I don't really see how doing that helps us with the real problem - which is how the counts get mismatched.

Well, no one can answer that long after it happened. The interesting question is, does the recount fix it, or does it happen again after a while - if the problem persists, the issue is being reproduced right here in this forum, and as such a dev could debug it.

Not exactly. Only very few people actually have FTP access.
Now I'm experiencing it again!

http://community.mybb.com/thread-48686.html
I'm not sure if the recount tool was executed just yet.
(2012-12-17, 11:23 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Once that is done, it might be an idea to monitor that thread Saeed and let us know if you see it again.

I made a video report!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=28146]
Seeing as how a wrong reply counter in a thread causes such severe problems (posts you can not read easily), and how the current system of relative count updates never fixes those errors by itself, it should be changed to reassert the correct reply count with every reply made.

This could be done without an extra query as two queries are already made with every reply - to determine and update first and lastposter, which for some reason are updated this way. Adding to that two UPDATE queries are made to update first the counters, then the firstpost/lastpost data.

So fetching the real post count from the database could be made without adding another query as the count can be fetched along with the query that's already being made, and you could in fact save a query or two there if you're already after changing code in that area.

This particular problem would be gone without the nuisance of making a full recount&rebuild for the entire forum when only a single thread is affected.

inc/functions.php :: update_thread_counters() / update_thread_data() could be merged into one, saving the queries done by update_thread_counters(), and piggy-backing it onto the queries update_thread_data() makes with every call to either of those functions anyway.
I've seen this happening quite a lot. Never seen it happen on small threads, but on large threads it happens frequently.
Didn't read the whole thread. Has anyone experienced this on any forum which is not using Cloudflare?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9