MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Who ate my posts?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(2012-12-30, 01:58 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]Didn't read the whole thread. Has anyone experienced this on any forum which is not using Cloudflare?

This so called bug appeared just less than a year before we switched to CloudFlare. It's definitely not related to CloudFlare, I know that for sure.
Hmm. If anyone manages to reproduce this on another forum please PM me with FTP details and forum admin account.
I remember HF had this problem multiple times on different threads. I think the MyBB staff should ask Laborrca.
(2012-12-30, 11:50 PM)kamz89 Wrote: [ -> ]I remember HF had this problem multiple times on different threads. I think the MyBB staff should ask Laborrca.

Not that helpful. Both HF and MyBB have different customizations.
(2012-12-31, 05:31 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]Not that helpful. Both HF and MyBB have different customizations.

Good point!
worldbeyblade.org often suffered from this and I believe it still does
(2012-12-31, 05:31 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-30, 11:50 PM)kamz89 Wrote: [ -> ]I remember HF had this problem multiple times on different threads. I think the MyBB staff should ask Laborrca.

Not that helpful. Both HF and MyBB have different customizations.

On MyBB Community there are a lot of threads and at least 1 thread a week on the editor missing issue but there are many solutions such as add {$codebuttons} to the missing template, disable rocket loader, etc. The issue is the same but different solutions and only 1 of the solutions work and there's no reason why we shouldn't give a solution a try.
There isn't much we can do if we don't have a server to debug the issue.
There's a possible race condition in that when two posts are made at exactly the same time, the counter may be incremented by 1 instead of 2, as both processes could end up adding 1 to the old count if they just happen to run at the same time.

It's an extremely unlikely case, but a possibility, so I checked that thread for posts made at the same time and found something weird:

http://community.mybb.com/thread-48686-p...#pid726052
http://community.mybb.com/thread-48686-p...#pid726054

Same author, same timestamp. Usually such posts are merged into one and it's curious why that didn't happen here. Coincidence?

Even more curious, the post that should have occured between those two (pid 726053) is actually one by the same author in the same thread and timestamped at 2 minutes earlier:

http://community.mybb.com/thread-48686-p...#pid726053

The only way I know of to get such a time discontinuity with post ids is using the drafts feature. I'll take a closer look at how drafts handle counters later. May be worth asking the guy himself if he remembers whatever he was doing there with those posts.

Author started complaining about the problem shortly after these posts were made. Could be coincidence, could be on to something...

Even assuming there are no bugs in MyBB, all it takes for an overloaded SQL server to decide to NOT run the queries that update the counters after a post was inserted. Then the counters are wrong and stay wrong indefinitely, until someone does a R&R. Which nobody ever does in large-ish forums.

You could have the thread closed and simply start a new one and hope the issue won't reoccur.
(2013-01-01, 02:52 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]You could have the thread closed and simply start a new one and hope the issue won't reoccur.

I was going to suggest that. SaeedGh, you could just create a new thread and have your old one closed (along with linking to the new thread in the old thread). The issue will need further investigation but there's no guarantee that it will be fixed anytime soon. The issue won't concern you past that point and it can be dealt with accordingly.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9