MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: It's not April fools anymore.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(2012-04-04, 03:08 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]1.6 plugins, themes, and everything will be compatible.

...with a handful of changes. Mostly the compatibility, but with the release of the new mods site too which will coincide with the beta release it's a great chance for everyone - developers, artists and administrators - to do some spring cleaning and improve themselves. MyBB.com will also be doing this and getting a new look.

Was not really meant to tell everyone but I blame Paul. Really bad influence.

We've only just introduced 1.8 in the tour, there are a lot of nice things that are being added; some of the changes I want to do I have yet to even discuss with staff/create on Github. I was initially against doing 1.8 - Pirata eventually convinced me, and I realised that this is actually quite a good opportunity that we wouldn't have had until 2.0.
(2012-04-04, 03:21 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-04, 03:08 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]1.6 plugins, themes, and everything will be compatible.

...with a handful of changes. Mostly the compatibility, but with the release of the new mods site too which will coincide with the beta release it's a great chance for everyone - developers, artists and administrators - to do some spring cleaning and improve themselves. MyBB.com will also be doing this and getting a new look.

Was not really meant to tell everyone but I blame Paul. Really bad influence.

We've only just introduced 1.8 in the tour, there are a lot of nice things that are being added; some of the changes I want to do I have yet to even discuss with staff/create on Github. I was initially against doing 1.8 - Pirata eventually convinced me, and I realised that this is actually quite a good opportunity that we wouldn't have had until 2.0.

Yay for Pirata! I'm also sure the MyBB.com renovation was also recently mentioned by another staff member somewhere too though Wink
(2012-04-04, 03:08 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]You'll want to upgrade. It'll have Spam Ninja.

(wait was I supposed to say that? Oh well.)

Also using that reason you wouldn't want to upgrade from 1.6.6 to 1.6.7. There are way more changes from 1.6 -> 1.8 then there were in 1.6.6 - > 1.6.7.

1.6 plugins, themes, and everything will be compatible.

Meh, fair enough. I guess it's too early to say whether the changes warrant a whole new version. I thought it'd be a pain in the lime for nothing, but if everything is compatible and works fine then sure. Though, the default theme/ACP theme definitely needed a change, but I think the "new versions" are poor in my opinion. I'm not sure where to give feedback on those or if I can, so I won't elaborate.
(2012-04-04, 04:52 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-04, 03:08 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]You'll want to upgrade. It'll have Spam Ninja.

(wait was I supposed to say that? Oh well.)

Also using that reason you wouldn't want to upgrade from 1.6.6 to 1.6.7. There are way more changes from 1.6 -> 1.8 then there were in 1.6.6 - > 1.6.7.

1.6 plugins, themes, and everything will be compatible.

Meh, fair enough. I guess it's too early to say whether the changes warrant a whole new version. I thought it'd be a pain in the lime for nothing, but if everything is compatible and works fine then sure. Though, the default theme/ACP theme definitely needed a change, but I think the "new versions" are poor in my opinion. I'm not sure where to give feedback on those or if I can, so I won't elaborate.

I don't think you'll argue that they're better than the current ones Smile

Really the Apart themes are some of the best ones out there for MyBB. It's just that we at MyBB are so used to them we get sick of them and consider them crap, when in reality they're actually pretty good.
I was more hoping for an Audentio theme, they seem more modern.
(2012-04-04, 04:56 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think you'll argue that they're better than the current ones Smile

Really the Apart themes are some of the best ones out there for MyBB. It's just that we at MyBB are so used to them we get sick of them and consider them crap, when in reality they're actually pretty good.

Of course not, I could throw my head at a keyboard and make a better theme than the default one. But that's not the point. Apart is popular yes, it doesn't make it one of the best themes on MyBB. It's just a good free theme... you have someone like Audentio on the team (not saying Justin isn't good), why not make something original? Something completely new, modern, unique.

It's a chance to move on from the crappy default MyBB style into something new, I vote not just copying apart. It just looks LQ to be honest.

(2012-04-04, 05:33 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]I was more hoping for an Audentio theme, they seem more modern.

This.
(2012-04-04, 05:33 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]I was more hoping for an Audentio theme, they seem more modern.

Definitely this.
It's a tough call. Go for a design that would take time to develop and cause massive disruption to themes during an upgrade (something more reserved for a 2.0 scenario) or a design that is actually quite usable, suitable and requires a fraction of the updates.
(2012-04-04, 07:29 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]It's a tough call. Go for a design that would take time to develop and cause massive disruption to themes during an upgrade (something more reserved for a 2.0 scenario) or a design that is actually quite usable, suitable and requires a fraction of the updates.
Seeing the theme and templates being broken perspective, I think Tomm is right.

Have a basic set of nice design ready for 1.8 and have completely new theme series starting from 2.0 .

Whilst using 1.6x series, if anyone wants more customized themes, they can get it on mods site or hire or even purchase pre-made premium themes.

I also cannot imagine how much template edits I did on my site. So I fear better it not be broken.
In my opinion developing a nice simple theme doesn't take long at all. I don't think the answer to the theme issues is "let's just take apart, and use that". But hey it'll have little affect on most people anyway since they use their own themes. I just see it as an opportunity lost.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9