MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: It's not April fools anymore.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
And most of them do incredibly well. Honestly people too way too much focus on the aesthetics of a forum. Yes. It is important. But content is king.
(2012-04-05, 03:36 AM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]For new designers, not for talented ones. Also, you wouldn't have to differ from the general MyBB style, so that's already set in stone so I have no idea what you're talking about.

It still takes more time than slapping something together because it looks pretty. The question is more related to whether or not the team has time to develop a new theme, anyways.

Quote:Did I say have one similar to IPB (even though it's a hell of a lot more professional than ours)?

I was using it as an example of something that's very complicated and a somewhat challenging base to work from. Have you ever looked at how IPB does templates? It's an absolute mess.

Quote:The current default theme is ridiculously ugly and outdated, I'd struggle to find many people that disagree. A nice theme doesn't have to be complicated, you're making it sound like it's a big deal to have a nice theme - it's not.

That's the whole point of using Apart, no?

Quote:All of the above can be done in a new theme. You're basically saying "Let's take the most popular free theme, and use it as the next default theme", that's completely illogical.

No, I was providing an example of a well-designed forum using Apart (or Afresh, iirc). I'm saying that it's popular for a reason and is a perfect candidate for a default theme of a forum software.

Quote:1.8 isn't as big a deal as 1.6 was, no, but it's still a new step. Why not spend the time (which isn't as much as you think) to make it custom? I'm not saying have a stupidly complicated theme, I'm saying the opposite.

Have you ever actually designed and developed a practical theme before, taking into account the end user experience, extendability, and compatibility? It seems like you are the one who has the lack of experience in this field.

Quote:So wait, all sites using the apart series deserved to get bagged on now? Well haven't you changed your tone.

If you've been here since 1.4, and had to wade through endless amounts of overnight forums popping up using the Afresh series offering absolutely nothing new or interesting in the showcase forum, you'd understand where I'm coming from. You sure inferred a lot of things from my post. Should I have added a Toungue smiley to indicate my satire?
Cba to turn this into me vs you so I'll skip most of that reply, but yes, I've developed countless themes before. No, you didn't need more smileys I'm not fourteen, I wouldn't expect you to feel heavy hearted about my replies either - there's nothing wrong with a healthy debate.

If the whole point of using Apart is an easy way out of having a theme better than the current but keeping simplicity, then that's lazy. But yeah, I couldn't care personally since I won't be using any of the default themes as I use different ones, both main site and ACP. I'm just thinking like a new webmaster looking to use MyBB. Apart is very nice but it's still not nearly as professional/clean as the vBulletin/IPB/Xenforo free themes. I've not seen the SMF one and my Nan can develop a more professional theme than phpbb.
(2012-04-05, 10:04 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Cba to turn this into me vs you so I'll skip most of that reply, but yes, I've developed countless themes before. No, you didn't need more smileys I'm not fourteen, I wouldn't expect you to feel heavy hearted about my replies either - there's nothing wrong with a healthy debate.

You seemed irritated with my last post. I am not even slightly upset.

Quote:I'm just thinking like a new webmaster looking to use MyBB. Apart is very nice but it's still not nearly as professional/clean as the vBulletin/IPB/Xenforo free themes.

Professional is highly subjective, and I think this is turning into more of a "but x has y feature" debate. Why are you so opposed to using Apart? I'm fairly certain there will be some changes to it's appearance by the release of 1.8; I don't think it's a matter of laziness at all, rather a sensible decision.
I seemed irritated? Please signify the single words used to project that image. I'm sorry if I didn't smother you with compliments and applaud you for your replies, I'll improve I promise.

This is nothing like "but x has y" at all... I'm giving examples. I'm not "so opposed" to it either, rather I'm simply arguing against it, if you read my post properly you'd notice I said "But yeah, I couldn't care personally since I won't be using any of the default themes as I use different ones, both main site and ACP", so why would it bug me?

Oops, nearly forgot smother time. Thanks for your interesting replies Smile, I love debating Toungue, it makes me so happy that you put time and care into your posts Smile, I hope I didn't offend you Toungue, I'm just arguing my point Smile.
* Josh H. felt the aforementioned tension.
* Crayo insists he posted smilies to help Scoutie out.
Ok guys, calm down.
It's just banter Toungue
Pretty intense banter to me Toungue Just don't let it get out of hand Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9