MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: It's not April fools anymore.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(2012-04-06, 06:40 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]The theme has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the website. When I say that most of those sites using the theme are crap, it's because those sites are crap. The theme is just very popular and typically associated with poor sites. That's not always the case, however.
That is my point though. Why would and overused and a theme associates with 'poor sites' be good to use as the 'face' of myBB?
(2012-04-06, 06:33 PM)WarStopper Wrote: [ -> ]Is this not a bad thing though? Using a theme that is widely used with some edits will surely just mean that all forums using this theme series will look like hardly any effort has been put into the design.

There will be a significance difference between the old Apart series and the new default theme. There's actually more than what currently meets the eye. But you'll just have to wait and see. As stated on the blog the theme shown is really just a first glimpse of what is to come.
(2012-04-06, 06:42 PM)WarStopper Wrote: [ -> ]That is my point though. Why would and overused and a theme associates with 'poor sites' be good to use as the 'face' of myBB?

You could argue that any site using the default 1.6 theme is poor.
Okay then, fair enough on that. Hope it does come away from that a lot otherwise I can see it ruining the theme series and all forums using that theme currently.
(2012-04-06, 06:42 PM)WarStopper Wrote: [ -> ]That is my point though. Why would and overused and a theme associates with 'poor sites' be good to use as the 'face' of myBB?

Would it make more sense to have a brand new design put to the same fate anyways? I don't think it makes much difference either way.
I think it would be better because a brand new design would keep the uniqueness of the theme series as it is currently and it will also brand myBB separate from the theme series and give the theme myBB would us its own uniqueness. myBB are going for a 'fresh' look but how will that happen when they are using a widely known myBB theme series with edits?
(2012-04-08, 09:17 AM)WarStopper Wrote: [ -> ]I think it would be better because a brand new design would keep the uniqueness of the theme series as it is currently and it will also brand myBB separate from the theme series and give the theme myBB would us its own uniqueness. myBB are going for a 'fresh' look but how will that happen when they are using a widely known myBB theme series with edits?

It's a simple facelift. You have to remember that there will be a new theme for 2.0. The new default theme is a more modern version of the Apart series themes. We're trying to keep 1.6 themes as compatible as possible with 1.8. If we end up writing a whole new theme in the middle of a major version (E.g. between 1.0 and 2.0) things will break, users will complain, and that defeats the whole purpose of it. If we did that we might as well rename 1.8 to 2.0 and rename 2.0 to 3.0.
I totally agree with WarStopper, let's hope 2.0 will bring this to life. Make the new theme modern (not 1990s again) and a good example of how new themes should look.

PS: I'm also talking about the coding Wink
There's a lot more to the new default theme than you can see from that one screenshot. We're making a number of changes that we think will be well-received. If you don't like our adoption of Apart, I'm sorry, but this is the direction we are going for MyBB 1.8. We think it is a significant update over our existing default theme, and we think this is a good time to make the update.

And remember, 2.0 will have a completely new theme. I will say the colors are fairly similar (as should be expected, considering the new logo), but that's about it. It's a significant update, but it is one worthy of the 2.0 update because it will literally break everything. It's not something we should apply to an update like 1.8.

This is the direction we're headed, and we're all excited about what we're doing. If you don't think the visual change to 1.8 is significant enough, just wait until we apply the update here along with our new website. Trust me, it's kind of hard to believe it's the same website.
Fair enough. As I said my opinion just differs on this but it wont matter because I wont use the default theme anyway.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9