MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: It's not April fools anymore.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I agree with the points about the Apart theme. I don't really like the idea of it. On another note, all of the websites that currently use the Apart theme series because they wanted something different from the default will now get bagged for having "the default theme". Toungue
(2012-04-04, 11:47 PM)Jordan L. Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with the points about the Apart theme. I don't really like the idea of it. On another note, all of the websites that currently use the Apart theme series because they wanted something different from the default will now get bagged for having "the default theme". Toungue

I chuckled at the last part.
(2012-04-04, 10:24 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion developing a nice simple theme doesn't take long at all.

Simple doesn't take a long time; usability and practicality do.

Quote:I don't think the answer to the theme issues is "let's just take apart, and use that".

What theme issues? The theme we have to work with right now is fantastic as far as defaults go. I wouldn't dream of working with a base theme such as IPBs. Way too complicated, too busy.

1.8 is an extension to the 1.x series, not a complete revamp. I'm okay with Apart being used as the default. Why? It follows the same basic principles as the current theme [most classes are similar, overall structure, etc.]. There have been numerous good themes made from Apart, too. For example: http://worldbeyblade.org/ How many years old now? The theme is still being used because it actually makes sense.

Default themes should provide a solid base for users to customize to their liking. The current theme does this extremely well. Apart + attachable base colors makes this easier (for newer admins anyways).

Jordan L. Wrote:On another note, all of the websites that currently use the Apart theme series because they wanted something different from the default will now get bagged for having "the default theme".

Most of those forums deserve to get bagged anyways.
(2012-04-05, 01:31 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Simple doesn't take a long time; usability and practicality do.

For new designers, not for talented ones. Also, you wouldn't have to differ from the general MyBB style, so that's already set in stone so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:What theme issues? The theme we have to work with right now is fantastic as far as defaults go. I wouldn't dream of working with a base theme such as IPBs. Way too complicated, too busy.

Did I say have one similar to IPB (even though it's a hell of a lot more professional than ours)? The current default theme is ridiculously ugly and outdated, I'd struggle to find many people that disagree. A nice theme doesn't have to be complicated, you're making it sound like it's a big deal to have a nice theme - it's not.

Quote:1.8 is an extension to the 1.x series, not a complete revamp. I'm okay with Apart being used as the default. Why? It follows the same basic principles as the current theme [most classes are similar, overall structure, etc.]. There have been numerous good themes made from Apart, too. For example: http://worldbeyblade.org/ How many years old now? The theme is still being used because it actually makes sense.

Default themes should provide a solid base for users to customize to their liking. The current theme does this extremely well. Apart + attachable base colors makes this easier (for newer admins anyways).

All of the above can be done in a new theme. You're basically saying "Let's take the most popular free theme, and use it as the next default theme", that's completely illogical. 1.8 isn't as big a deal as 1.6 was, no, but it's still a new step. Why not spend the time (which isn't as much as you think) to make it custom? I'm not saying have a stupidly complicated theme, I'm saying the opposite. Professional is the word I'm looking for, even vBulletin have that nailed down.

Quote:Most of those forums deserve to get bagged anyways.

So wait, all sites using the apart series deserved to get bagged on now? Well haven't you changed your tone.
I disagree that it is an opportunity lost; a radical change to the theme should be reserved for a major version upgrade not a minor version that 1.8 is meant to be. What you're suggesting is something 2.0-scale.

You're asking me to tell everyone who works with themes and plugins that this is fantastic news, upgrade everything to the new default style because it's so much better even though most of 1.6 themes or plugins that work with themes are broken and need updating - just to tell everyone the exact same message when 2.0 is released. Bad call.

I want people to upgrade to 1.8 and I need to make it as easy as possible for users to do it. A completely different default theme that could possibly break all current themes and plugins is not going to accomplish that.
(2012-04-05, 08:42 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]I disagree that it is an opportunity lost; a radical change to the theme should be reserved for a major version upgrade not a minor version that 1.8 is meant to be. What you're suggesting is something 2.0-scale.

You're asking me to tell everyone who works with themes and plugins that this is fantastic news, upgrade everything to the new default style because it's so much better even though most of 1.6 themes or plugins that work with themes are broken and need updating - just to tell everyone the exact same message when 2.0 is released. Bad call.

I want people to upgrade to 1.8 and I need to make it as easy as possible for users to do it. A completely different default theme that could possibly break all current themes and plugins is not going to accomplish that.

You're completely misunderstanding my point. There doesn't need to be a whole new style, a whole new layout (backend), it can all be the same I just personally think taking a popular free theme and putting on 1.8 and calling it news-worthy is a bit tacky.

I've not once said spend hours and hours making an amazing default theme which will disrupt plugins etc etc, I've simply said you should make a new one which doesn't change too much, other than appearance, nothing else needs to change which makes upgrading to 1,8 easy as pie.

Meh, either way Apart is miles better than the previous default theme so I guess the presentation can't be mocked as much as it was. I do see it as an opportunity lost because by the sounds of it 2.0 won't be out until the very end of this year or even next year from what I've heard and read.
The idea behind using Apart in 1.8 is that it creates a bridge to 2.0. You can see a progression in the themes from 1.6 -> 1.8 -> 2.0 and that's what I wanted for a minor point update.

I don't see the need to burden Mike's time in limiting him to the current structure. His work is far to good for this and, for me, anything he would be able to create using it could be called an insult to his abilities.

Regardless of when you get your hands on 2.0, Apart does the job for 1.8. I don't think many people could argue reasonable points against that.
(2012-04-05, 03:58 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]The idea behind using Apart in 1.8 is that it creates a bridge to 2.0. You can see a progression in the themes from 1.6 -> 1.8 -> 2.0 and that's what I wanted for a minor point update.

I don't see the need to burden Mike's time in limiting him to the current structure. His work is far to good for this and, for me, anything he would be able to create using it could be called an insult to his abilities.

Regardless of when you get your hands on 2.0, Apart does the job for 1.8. I don't think many people could argue reasonable points against that.

If it is seen as just a bridge then I guess you're right - though I don't think the current structure could limit abilities, look at Audentio's, Pixelmonkey's, Codicious' work for example. But you're right, it does do the job and it's a massive improvement from the current default theme, maybe I'm just being pessimistic Toungue.
(2012-04-04, 11:47 PM)Jordan L. Wrote: [ -> ]On another note, all of the websites that currently use the Apart theme series because they wanted something different from the default will now get bagged for having "the default theme". Toungue

I don't think I've ever seen a vB forum not using the default theme Toungue
That's incredibly true, sadly. Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9