MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Use Mybb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Hi, I'm new here and I was wounding if you are able to transfer a site from webs.com to the mybb format, to where I could use all the stuff a download, also if I buy the domain from webs.com would I be able to transfer my domain to mybb and if so how would I? Also how do you make your own custom badges and how would you give them to people? Also how would you give the rankings link how now I'm a Junior Member and I have 2 stars, how would I change that or make my own?
I have no experience with web.com but from looking at it, it doesn't look like you'll be able to transfer anything (from what I see, there's nothing you'd want to transfer anyway unless they have their own forum system).

As for buying the domain, you can buy a domain from anywhere you like and set the nameservers to point to your server hosting MyBB.

For the custom badges, I have no idea what you mean. Do you mean rank images (like my Support Team badge)? If so, you can set them via the ACP along with the ranks (such as Junior Member) and the star images.
(2012-07-19, 04:12 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]I have no experience with web.com but from looking at it, it doesn't look like you'll be able to transfer anything (from what I see, there's nothing you'd want to transfer anyway unless they have their own forum system).

As for buying the domain, you can buy a domain from anywhere you like and set the nameservers to point to your server hosting MyBB.

For the custom badges, I have no idea what you mean. Do you mean rank images (like my Support Team badge)? If so, you can set them via the ACP along with the ranks (such as Junior Member) and the star images.

Yeah What I meant to say was webs.com not web.com but yes webs.com has forums. Also when I buy the domain or when I buy the domain, If I buy the domain from webs.com, all I gotta do is change the nameservers and where would that be?

For the custom badges like the support badge and stuff, how do you add that? Is it a download? Also how do you change the name of the rankings and add some and take some out? Like for the junior with the stars, and are you able to add more stars to a certain rank. Are you able to change the name from junior to something else? Is that a download too?
Never heard of webs.com either to be perfectly honest with you Wink There isn't any way right now to merge content from them either, though you might be able to find somebody willing to do it for you if you don't mind paying a little bit.

For the domain, it depends on if webs would give you full control. Some services like that allow you to buy a domain but only let you use it for a site on their network.

The custom badges, titles and stars can all be modified in the MyBB Admin Control Panel once you have the core installed. You don't need any extra plugins or anything as it's all core and can be found via ACP > Users & Groups > User Groups or ACP > Users & Groups > Usertitles
(2012-07-19, 08:07 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Never heard of webs.com either to be perfectly honest with you Wink There isn't any way right now to merge content from them either, though you might be able to find somebody willing to do it for you if you don't mind paying a little bit.

For the domain, it depends on if webs would give you full control. Some services like that allow you to buy a domain but only let you use it for a site on their network.

The custom badges, titles and stars can all be modified in the MyBB Admin Control Panel once you have the core installed. You don't need any extra plugins or anything as it's all core and can be found via ACP > Users & Groups > User Groups or ACP > Users & Groups > Usertitles

Is there a way to have both badges and ranking with the stars at the same time, but the rankings first then the badges under it? Or you can choose which way you want it. Also can you choose how many stars is at a certain rank?

I pretty sure that is gives you full control because the site would be: website.com or yourdomain.com so if it dies gives me full control where would the server name be located at and is there a list to choose from or do you just type it in.

How would you put in the plugins. Would it do it by it self, or do you have to do it yourself?
Yes, you can have stars and a badge at the same time and you can easily move them about by modifying the templates Smile

I have no idea where you'd set the nameservers at though. It might be a good idea to contact webs.com and ask them if they allow you to set your nameservers. You'd get the actual nameservers after you sign up for web hosting as the host would tell you what to set them to.

Plugins are super simple to install. All you do is download a plugin from http://mods.mybb.com, un zip it then upload it to your forum.
Wait so you have to sign up for web hosting, or when you buy a domain it will ask you who do you want for web hosting?

I'm new at this stuff so what do you mean un zip them? Is there like a video I could watch to show me how to do all of this stuff?
Web hosting and domains are two different things. Some web hosting packages offer a free domain when you buy a certain package. You can buy web hosting on its own and you can buy a domain on its own, you just change the nameservers.

Here's a video I found on installing plugins:

So is there something I have to install to install plugins?

Where do I buy web hosting at and which packages do they have?

Is mybb a free web host?
MyBB is not a web host, it is a forum software, you need to get Web Hosting somewhere else, and use MyBB for the forum.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13