MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stop selling your user's information
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(2013-01-03, 08:12 PM)Crayo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-02, 02:36 AM)Shawn Gossman Wrote: [ -> ]I have been victim of being merged onto another forum and it does suck. I had joined an admin forum, and then it got bought out and they merged it into a general forum. How does that make any sense?! But I had no other choice since they opted me out from having a choice.

And what horrific experience did you suffer as a consequence of being forcefully merged into another community?

The horrific experience was that I was not given a choice. I mean I don't think merging a forum database with another even complies with the US-EU safe harbor act.

Why should I be subject to the merge? What horrible things would you experience by not merging my information to a forum I didn't agree with signing up to?

Ah, the issue has been turned around Toungue
(2013-01-05, 04:00 AM)Shawn Gossman Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:And what horrific experience did you suffer as a consequence of being forcefully merged into another community?

The horrific experience was that I was not given a choice. I mean I don't think merging a forum database with another even complies with the US-EU safe harbor act.

Well; It's a good thing I don't live in the US, then, Isn't it...

(2013-01-05, 04:00 AM)Shawn Gossman Wrote: [ -> ]Why should I be subject to the merge? What horrible things would you experience by not merging my information to a forum I didn't agree with signing up to?

Look at it this way, instead of looking at it from a somewhat selfish point of view with a "*screams* my information is not in a forum I signed up for the world's ending" stance.

Site Administrator can no longer foot the bill, or run the community for whatever reason, Site administrator sells it, New admin merges it with existing community, you scream...

(2013-01-05, 04:00 AM)Shawn Gossman Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, the issue has been turned around Toungue

Rinse, repeat.
(2013-01-05, 04:07 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Well; It's a good thing I don't live in the US, then, Isn't it...

Do you live in Europe? Does most of your traffic come from the USA or the EU? You might want to think about that stuff too, huh? Undecided

Quote:Look at it this way, instead of looking at it from a somewhat selfish point of view with a "*screams* my information is not in a forum I signed up for the world's ending" stance.

Selfish? How about me looking at it in a "respect my privacy" point of view? When a company acquires another business, the employees and clients have a right to leave. In this case, I don't get that right. Saying its selfish is simply not using logic.

Quote:Site Administrator can no longer foot the bill, or run the community for whatever reason, Site administrator sells it, New admin merges it with existing community, you scream...

Sure that could happen. I understand the jest of it, I really do. However I don't agree with it. I'm thinking about the user, not the forum owner who could care less.

Quote:Rinse, repeat.

And again...
(2013-01-05, 01:33 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]So you're OK with it if I sign up for mailing lists on your behalf without your consent, yeah?

If you notify me of that possibility before giving you my e-mail address, why not?
(2013-01-05, 04:17 AM)Shawn Gossman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-05, 04:07 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Well; It's a good thing I don't live in the US, then, Isn't it...

Do you live in Europe? Does most of your traffic come from the USA or the EU? You might want to think about that stuff too, huh? Undecided

If you honestly must know, I live in Sydney. A vast majority of my traffic comes from my facebook friends - 98% of them are from Sydney too. How about you don't assume things.

Quote:Look at it this way, instead of looking at it from a somewhat selfish point of view with a "*screams* my information is not in a forum I signed up for the world's ending" stance.

Selfish? How about me looking at it in a "respect my privacy" point of view? When a company acquires another business, the employees and clients have a right to leave. In this case, I don't get that right. Saying its selfish is simply not using logic.

Looking at it that way, if you so desire:
  • You have a right to leave
  • You do *not* have a right to get them to delete any information of yours
  • You do *not* have the right to demand such a thing

Quote:Site Administrator can no longer foot the bill, or run the community for whatever reason, Site administrator sells it, New admin merges it with existing community, you scream...

Sure that could happen. I understand the jest of it, I really do. However I don't agree with it. I'm thinking about the user, not the forum owner who could care less.

Whether you agree with it or not, It will continue to happen. Welcome to life, and the real world.

Quote:Rinse, repeat.

And again...

Once more for the dummies...

(2013-01-05, 04:31 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-05, 01:33 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]So you're OK with it if I sign up for mailing lists on your behalf without your consent, yeah?

If you notify me of that possibility before giving you my e-mail address, why not?

Without your consent, Omar.
Oh, lol, then yeah, I will be pretty mad about it. Anyways, you should put any stuff like that in your TOS or registration agreement, as already said. Sorry for the mistake.
(2013-01-05, 05:42 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, lol, then yeah, I will be pretty mad about it. Anyways, you should put any stuff like that in your TOS or registration agreement, as already said. Sorry for the mistake.

Funny thing omarG they cannot do that currently (when using the default TOS) Big Grin

The current tos does not allow changes being made to it without reacquiring the consent of the users.
You're such a TOS freak dude, lol. I swear you would be okay with infecting all users with viruses as long as it was in the TOS before you sign up.

I see the issue of being forcefully added to the new sites mailing list as the biggest "issue". If you are notified about the merge, make a few changes in your options and you won't receive any emails after it. If you do, you can further change that with your user-account options on the new site.

Shawn, what privacy has been breached? We have all agreed here that users can delete their information (themselves, not demanding Admins to do it), so what's the problem? As I said, what would you do if major companies were to do this? Would you walk down the street with a custom made sign and protest? If the answer is no then it's rather evident that most people just argue for the sake of arguing on here.
when you sign up, you sign up with the site, not with the forum owner, so why should it matter if the site is sold?

now merging is a little different, but would you rather that the existing community just shut its doors and delete everything without any warning and you no longer have access to the community's resources and people, or would you rather it be merged so you can still participate? then if you dont like it, then you can change your info and leave.

i still dont understand the issue of privacy and personal info.

the only thing remotely personal in MyBB is your email address and there is no requirement to use your ISP provided email or to use an email that is [email protected] so only the information you provide is an email that does not need to be "identifiable" to you. its not like an ecommerce site or similar where you need to give an address and phone number or credit card info.

you know sites get sold and merged, so stop posting "private" info and use disposable emails and then you have nothing to worry about. why not take some responsibility in what you post and share online and stop expecting everyone else to protect you, especially when you dont want to protect yourself on your own.
Quote:So you're OK with it if I sign up for mailing lists on your behalf without your consent, yeah?

Legal mailing lists send an opt-in confirmation email. And if I get legal spam I get opt-out option with it. Not that I'm okay with it but it's been done and didn't bother me.

Quote:The horrific experience was that I was not given a choice. I mean I don't think merging a forum database with another even complies with the US-EU safe harbor act.

Well I don't see anything is SHA beyond giving choices for disclosure and opt-out that would prevent either a forum merge or forum sale.

I found this:
http://export.gov/safeharbor/eu/eg_main_018476.asp
Quote:Onward Transfer (Transfers to Third Parties)
To disclose information to a third party, organizations must apply the notice and choice principles. Where an organization wishes to transfer information to a third party that is acting as an agent, it may do so if it makes sure that the third party subscribes to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles or is subject to the Directive or another adequacy finding. As an alternative, the organization can enter into a written agreement with such third party requiring that the third party provide at least the same level of privacy protection as is required by the relevant principles.

Also for anyone who actually wants to join Safe Harbor:
http://export.gov/safeharbor/eu/eg_main_018483.asp

Maybe I'll sign up. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14