MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stop selling your user's information
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(2012-12-29, 04:59 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]If they chose to post personal information into the public domain, that is not my problem.

If it's in the public domain, it's fair game - Is that what you're getting at?
(2012-12-29, 02:08 AM)Jimmy. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-28, 07:58 PM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]Philly I think has merged like 300k-350k (IIRC) posts into his forum, I think 60-70% of his posts and members are merged (no offence).

Again you're wrong. I have been there since FK had 200K Posts. Only Crayo's Cyber Tech Forum & Alternate's Uzi Gaming was merged. And both these Forum had 35k posts in total.

Those 200k posts came from being merged from a 100k+ post forum...
(2012-12-28, 05:04 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]When a user signs up for your site, they are signing up for your site – they never gave you permission to sell their data
Lolwut? Selling data without users' consent is a huge part of the internet. It's the foundation on how a lot of ad networks operate. Sometimes it's not exactly in a direct fashion, but it's still the same thing nonetheless.
Probably 95+% of websites out there have at least one tracking script on them.

If you're pissed at the activity, simply don't sign up. Problem solved.
(2012-12-29, 10:10 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]Probably 95+% of websites out there have at least one tracking script on them.

I know mine do... Analytics.
(2012-12-29, 09:34 AM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-29, 02:08 AM)Jimmy. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-28, 07:58 PM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]Philly I think has merged like 300k-350k (IIRC) posts into his forum, I think 60-70% of his posts and members are merged (no offence).

Again you're wrong. I have been there since FK had 200K Posts. Only Crayo's Cyber Tech Forum & Alternate's Uzi Gaming was merged. And both these Forum had 35k posts in total.

Those 200k posts came from being merged from a 100k+ post forum...

Pictures or it didn't happen? Name the Forum.
Jimmy I didn't own Cyber Tech Forum. I owned Market Forums which had 105k posts when merged.

So 35k + 35k + 105k = 175k. I'm sure there are more as well, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing, it has worked for FK.
(2012-12-29, 10:10 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-28, 05:04 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]When a user signs up for your site, they are signing up for your site – they never gave you permission to sell their data
Lolwut? Selling data without users' consent is a huge part of the internet. It's the foundation on how a lot of ad networks operate. Sometimes it's not exactly in a direct fashion, but it's still the same thing nonetheless.
Probably 95+% of websites out there have at least one tracking script on them.

If you're pissed at the activity, simply don't sign up. Problem solved.

And for exactly that reason the cookie laws were created to stop that practice for people who did not wish to participate in it.
Yet site owners sell even more.. even worse things..
E-mail addresses, user names that stuff. Without ever actually asking the user consent for it which is funny. Since the default TOS does not cover it yet site owners just use that and still sell the data (mind its something that is not allowed without the consent.

Even funnier is the following lines in the registration agreement:

Quote:Any information you provide on these forums will not be disclosed to any third party without your complete consent, although the staff cannot be held liable for any hacking attempt in which your data is compromised.

This pretty much says to the users that we will never sell their information. Which is funny because most sites don't even bother changing it. Which results in them breaking the agreement with the users when they do violate their own agreement. Which mean users have the rights to at that moment demand their information is removed.
(2012-12-29, 06:01 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]It would definitely disrupt a lot of conversations on my site if a user were to delete their posts. But they can already do this by either deleting the post or editing its contents. It doesn't matter whether or not its good for me – they wrote it, and they should have the right to remove it if they want to in the future. It's not my call. They're not under duress from you to publish their content, but they are apparently under duress from you to keep it there once they do.

I could write in a license that allows me to do whatever I want with their content once they submit it, but I think that's pretty scummy. This is my policy on user generated content:

Quote:By posting content on this site you give us permission to share and reuse the content in any way we see fit, e.g. posting your Haralook on our Tumblr our sharing a post you make on Facebook. When we do this, we will attribute the content to you. We do not make any claim of ownership of your content, and we will only use it within the Harajuju umbrella of content and websites.

Legally you can put whatever you want in your TOS, I guess, and I'm not challenging your legal right to do so – I'm asking if it's ethical.

Glad someone provided a plugin to delete an account, but I wonder what happens to threads that user started ... ideally, the thread would still exist, just attributed to the next poster in line.

They are not under duress to keep their info. I wont stop them at all, all I am simply saying is that I wont do it for them.

My TOS is similar, you own the content but give me the right to do use it, distribute it, etc. If that means merging it, so be it, you can remove it from the new site if you want.

(2012-12-29, 06:04 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-29, 04:59 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]If they chose to post personal information into the public domain, that is not my problem.

If it's in the public domain, it's fair game - Is that what you're getting at?

My comment was on response to the "stalking" comment made earlier and similar comments about privacy. You know good and well, once it is on the internet, there is no taking it back. If you put your real name, address, phone number, the car you drive, a pic of you or your family, a pic of your car, etc it is not my problem that you feel that your privacy has been violated at a later date.

Perhaps "public domain" was a bad choice of my part, perhaps posting "in public" would have been more appropriate.
(2012-12-29, 01:37 PM)Crayo Wrote: [ -> ]Jimmy I didn't own Cyber Tech Forum. I owned Market Forums which had 105k posts when merged.

So 35k + 35k + 105k = 175k. I'm sure there are more as well, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing, it has worked for FK.

Aren't you Anxiety? And didn't Quad own Market Forum? Also, Market Forum has my Forum, The Tech Players database. It has 90K Active posts.
(2012-12-29, 06:08 PM)Jimmy. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-29, 01:37 PM)Crayo Wrote: [ -> ]Jimmy I didn't own Cyber Tech Forum. I owned Market Forums which had 105k posts when merged.

Aren't you Anxiety? And didn't Quad own Market Forum? Also, Market Forum has my Forum, The Tech Players database. It has 90K Active posts.

Yes I am. Quad owned market-forum.net or something, mine was marketforums.org, it was at 105k posts when I sold it to Philly. I have never owned Cyber Tech Forums, I actually tried to buy it once ages ago.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14