MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stop selling your user's information
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(2012-12-28, 06:05 PM)Jimmy. Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with Crayo. However, coming to Philly, he merged just 2 Forums to FK. CTF & UG.

Well I know that's wrong for a fact.
I have always wondered one thing. Are we even allowed to do this?
Are we just allowed to sell user information?

For the rest i rather delete the whole site then ever sell it to a not trusted third party (with what i mean is that their never should be site merges). I dont have a problem if a site is sold to a network and the original site owner just keeps doing his/her business but only then has the support of a big network for the server / additional things.
Your TOS and privacy policies should have content about who owns what, what can be done with it, etc

When I sold my big board, the purchase agreement covered what information is included, what content they have the rights to (versus things licensed that I have no right to sell), etc. Even if it said I was "selling" my copy of MyBB to them they have no legal standing as I can't "sell" it to them, I can transfer my license to it, but not "sell" it to them.
(2012-12-28, 06:48 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]Your TOS and privacy policies should have content about who owns what, what can be done with it, etc

When I sold my big board, the purchase agreement covered what information is included, what content they have the rights to (versus things licensed that I have no right to sell), etc. Even if it said I was "selling" my copy of MyBB to them they have no legal standing as I can't "sell" it to them, I can transfer my license to it, but not "sell" it to them.

The problem by default a user does not agree to this pavemen. Meaning in the most extreme case the original admin can be asked to delete the users information (which is incredibly hard to proof was actually done) and if its not done the original admin can even be pressed with legal actions (though that wont ever happen).

Instead all the login information will just end up on sites for third party advertisment creating the crazy amount of spam in people's in-boxes.

Besides this when it happens it generally happens over night without any user knowing it is about to happen. Take the walking dead forum that was changed in about 1 day from site owner.

It just shows the little level of care with admins. And the lack of a way to delete your information does not help either.. I almost think as admin if you do plan to sell your site to somebody else. You should be forced to offer a period of (1 week to a month) in which time a user has the ability to delete all his/her information / posts and threads and any other information placed on your website.
By default a user does not, but there it is common knowledge that businesses get sold and customer info goes with it. Also, it is a simple change in the registration agreement to indicate sale is possible and what happens to use information.

yes the admin has some responsibility to indicate changes are coming but nothing legal is required. so if you are a customer of Coca-Cola and for some reason Pepsi-Cola buys them, are you going to complain about them handing over your customer details? Does it really effect you?

This is business for many of us and it is not worth building a brand and image and community if I can't sell it as-is at a later date. No one will want to buy a site where all the users purge their info and leave. The new owners buy it for the potential revenue from the pageviews. No content, means no pageviews, means no reason to buy.

I don't know how many of my big board users know I dont own it any more (I still admin/maintain it).

now on the point of this thread, selling and merging sites, well I would hope that the original owner would indicate such, but I would also be glad that there is the opportunity to join another like-minded community with all the old content and users I am familiar with. if I don't like the new place, then I stop visiting.
(2012-12-28, 03:39 PM)Crayo Wrote: [ -> ](TE you're not innocent here either).

Did I claim I was innocent?

(2012-12-28, 06:22 PM)Crayo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-28, 06:05 PM)Jimmy. Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with Crayo. However, coming to Philly, he merged just 2 Forums to FK. CTF & UG.

Well I know that's wrong for a fact.

Philly I think has merged like 300k-350k (IIRC) posts into his forum, I think 60-70% of his posts and members are merged (no offence).
And what is wrong with merging? If someone wants to save the content from one community by incorporating it into their own, when it would otherwise be lost due to closure or a slow death, then what is the problem?
(2012-12-28, 07:40 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]By default a user does not, but there it is common knowledge that businesses get sold and customer info goes with it. Also, it is a simple change in the registration agreement to indicate sale is possible and what happens to use information.

Their is a problem with that one line though, and that is it does not apply to the current users you already have. You would have to re'ask the current users (upon visiting with for example a splash page). Again for the permission with the new terms of service. If they decline it they should instantly be given the option to remove all their account information and data.
Not hard to post an announcement or mass mail all your users. as long as you make reasonable effort that is all you need, especially if your registration agreement indicates the need to keep your info current.
Moral or ethical might be an argument but legally it's not a problem buying databases. It's what you do with that list which might be illegal...like spamming.

I've probably merged, sold, or bought more forums than anyone and I never have a problem from users. I've also never abused a situation either.

Funny to come across this thread today because for some reason I was thinking about TOS when I woke up. Very odd I know to think about TOS out of nowhere but my thought was that no one reads it so why bother to change it. Matter of fact I think I might simplify it even more and say.

"You signing up to a privately owned website. We'll do whatever we want. You don't like that then don't register."

That's more likely to be read imho than paragraph after paragraph of legallese.

One thing I think would be a nice option is a "close account" feature allowing the simple removal of private data like email and password but I've never seen a plugin for it and MyBB doesn't make that simple.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14