MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stop selling your user's information
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(2012-12-28, 08:09 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]And what is wrong with merging? If someone wants to save the content from one community by incorporating it into their own, when it would otherwise be lost due to closure or a slow death, then what is the problem?

The problem is that that isn't your call to make on behalf of your users, if not legally, then ethically.

Imagine if when Facebook bought Instagram, they automatically converted everyone's Instagram account to a Facebook account, without notice, and without option to delete the account. There would've been an uproar.

This is a very different scenario from a site changing ownership, and probably something I should have made clearer in my original post.

STEPS TO ETHICALLY MERGING COMMUNITIES TOGETHER

1. Give your users as much notice as possible. A minimum of one month, and ideally more than that.
  2. Give users the option to delete their account and all related information – for example, posts – before the merge takes place
  3. Make public the clear terms of the sale, including what their data will be used for and how far it extends (can the user data be sold again to another party, for example)

As a final note, most MyBB forums I see do not have any sort of customized terms of service at all. That means that they never gained any sort of agreement to resell or share user information with an outside party.
(2012-12-28, 10:21 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I think would be a nice option is a "close account" feature allowing the simple removal of private data like email and password but I've never seen a plugin for it and MyBB doesn't make that simple.

This would be a feature i would really like to see. A plugin or a core change to allow users to closer their account. I know a lot of sites don't over this but its something i hate when a site does not offer it. You then literally have to contact the site owners to let your account be removed.. which is incredibly annoying.

Quote:As a final note, most MyBB forums I see do not have any sort of customized terms of service at all. That means that they never gained any sort of agreement to resell or share user information with an outside party.

Like i pointed out before if a admin changes the TOS they always have to ask for the user consent again. If they do not do this they are breaking the law its as simple as that.
I don't think that's true if the ToS that was agreed to indicates that the ToS can be changed at any time. I'm not a lawyer, though.
(2012-12-28, 10:45 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think that's true if the ToS that was agreed to indicates that the ToS can be changed at any time. I'm not a lawyer, though.

If that is indicated it still means users have to be notified with a clear explanation what the changes mean for the user. You can always change it, but you have to clearly indicate to the users what it means for them. And what their options are, including the option to terminate their account if the person has an account with a service (otherwise this of course does not apply)

Well its the ethically way to do it, no clue what the law states about it in the US though.. since that law would apply to most people here. Only know in the Netherlands you are forced by law to notify your users in detail about changes you make and options you provide.
(2012-12-28, 10:45 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think that's true if the ToS that was agreed to indicates that the ToS can be changed at any time. I'm not a lawyer, though.

It's true. Go read the TOS of any major website.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_...le.x=en_US

Quote:We may amend this Agreement at any time by posting a revised version on our website. The revised version will be effective at the time we post it. In addition, if the revised version includes a Substantial Change, we will provide you with 30 Days' prior notice of any Substantial Change by posting notice on the Policy Updates page of our website.

And example ominous language in the TOS of Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms
Quote:We reserve all rights not expressly granted to you.

And if you really read the FB TOS you'll see that you grant them license to use the content you upload to them.

FB TOS is actually well-worded for a legal agreement imho. But raise your hand if you never read it. Smile
(2012-12-28, 10:21 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I think would be a nice option is a "close account" feature allowing the simple removal of private data like email and password but I've never seen a plugin for it and MyBB doesn't make that simple.

http://www.mybbsecurity.net/topic-delete-account

It should be default really. I go on a internet-footprint-cleanup from time to time and it deeply bothers me that I can't delete accounts I have no use for. It forces me to change the email address and password to throw-away ones.
(2012-12-28, 11:03 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]

http://www.mybbsecurity.net/topic-delete-account

It should be default really. I go on a internet-footprint-cleanup from time to time and it deeply bothers me that I can't delete accounts I have no use for. It forces me to change the email address and password to throw-away ones.

You really shouldn't have to a admin is forced by law when requested by the person (to who the account belongs) to delete the account to always follow this. If this is not done they violate the law its as simple as that.
Quote:You really shouldn't have to a admin is forced by law when requested by the person (to who the account belongs) to delete the account to always follow this. If this is not done they violate the law its as simple as that.

Is that a law you can find and quote for me?

I find that people make assumptions about the law all the time but when asked to verify they come up empty.
Should be part of ANY TOS and privacy policy

Quote:X. Modification of these Terms. SITENAME reserves the right, at our discretion, to change, modify, add, or remove portions of these Terms at any time. Please check these Terms and any Guidelines periodically for changes. Your continued use of SITENAME after the posting of changes constitutes your binding acceptance of such changes. For any material changes to these Terms, such amended terms will automatically be effective thirty days after they are initially posted on SITENAME.

This should be part of ANY privacy policy

Quote:In the Event of Merger or Sale:

In the event that SITENAME is acquired by or merged with a third-party entity, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information we have collected from Members as part of such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control.

(2012-12-28, 11:13 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:You really shouldn't have to a admin is forced by law when requested by the person (to who the account belongs) to delete the account to always follow this. If this is not done they violate the law its as simple as that.

Is that a law you can find and quote for me?

I find that people make assumptions about the law all the time but when asked to verify they come up empty.

i actually refuse to delete user accounts when someone asks. I tell them to change their info in their account and then not come back. I then move the account into an "removed" group that has no permissions whatsoever and never gets contacted, etc. If the user wants to delete their submissions, go ahead, I don't stop them, but I am not going to make the effort to remove content they willingly supplied to the public domain
I just can't find and never have seen a law about site owners being forced to remove user content. As a matter of fact there continues to be discussion about the law REQUIRING you to save private data for law enforcement. Most sites are fighting any type of requirement because of costs. Example is having to save 2 years of site logs can cost thousands of dollars.

I know this is just a blog post but again...find me a law that requires removal if request.

http://www.abine.com/blog/2012/how-to-de...mpossible/

Quote:You also have to have a really good reason to force a website to remove content. Looking bad in a picture or disliking a comment someone made on your Facebook wall isn’t enough. We’ll get into these serious reasons later on in this guide. The good news: even though sites don’t have to take content down, they may do it just to help you out.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14